Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

used 2016 Novara Randonee - anything I should be aware of?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 05:39 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts

Someone drivable distance, but far-is is selling this small 2016 Novara Randonee with SP dynamo hub. It looks to be in good condition. The seller is the same height as me (5'6" and she felt the top tube was a little too short for her. I tend to have the opposite problem. I'm long legged with short torso. I think she is asking for a very fair price, ($600) but it would need to drive 1.5 hours to get it, so that is a factor in cost too (time and $) or am I wrong in pricing?

My only other bikes I have is a 1993 Bianchi Advantage in 46cm where we elongated it as much as possible and it fits really well - and the bike fit I had agree that I had gotten it pretty spot on for what I need. And I have a Bike Friday NWT, but I worry about the weight limit) and I have an electric cargo bike Pedego Stretch - it's 6 years old).

I'm not sure I can post links and pictures yet, but I'll try.

Old 07-18-23, 06:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
Someone drivable distance, but far-is is selling this small 2016 Novara Randonee with SP dynamo hub. It looks to be in good condition. The seller is the same height as me (5'6" and she felt the top tube was a little too short for her. I tend to have the opposite problem. I'm long legged with short torso. I think she is asking for a very fair price, ($600) but it would need to drive 1.5 hours to get it, so that is a factor in cost too (time and $) or am I wrong in pricing?

My only other bikes I have is a 1993 Bianchi Advantage in 46cm where we elongated it as much as possible and it fits really well - and the bike fit I had agree that I had gotten it pretty spot on for what I need. And I have a Bike Friday NWT, but I worry about the weight limit) and I have an electric cargo bike Pedego Stretch - it's 6 years old).

I'm not sure I can post links and pictures yet, but I'll try.
I had one like that (it was stolen). Great bike. Mine didn't have the dynamo hub. Looks like there's no accompanying light. Ask if the dynamo works - if so it looks like a decent deal. You said "I worry about the weight limit" - that Randonee can handle a lot of weight - I'm 230 lbs. and I've carried 50 lbs. in panniers and it's rock solid.
Old 07-18-23, 06:32 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Originally Posted by tyrion
I had one like that (it was stolen). Great bike. Mine didn't have the dynamo hub. Looks like there's no accompanying light. Ask if the dynamo works - if so it looks like a decent deal. You said "I worry about the weight limit" - that Randonee can handle a lot of weight - I'm 230 lbs. and I've carried 50 lbs. in panniers and it's rock solid.
She says it works - she used it for charging a phone while riding. And I'm sorry yours was stolen. That stinks!
Old 07-18-23, 06:50 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
She says it works - she used it for charging a phone while riding. And I'm sorry yours was stolen. That stinks!
Just FYI I think I paid $1200 back in 2016, so with REIs rebate scheme makes it more like $1100. And they came with a decent rear rack, which looks like is missing from that one in the pics. You might ask about the rack.
Old 07-18-23, 10:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
If she has a repair stand, that suggests she knows something about bikes. That is a good sign, it was probably well maintained. If the stand belongs to a friend, maybe not.

Paint looks good, I do not see many nicks or scrapes, but from the photos it is hard to tell. Tentatively, I would say it is either low mileage or it is well cared for, or maybe both.

I tend to negotiate on used goods, you could say that without racks or bottle cages, the price looks too high. Maybe they will move on price or throw in those accessories.

It looks like they are throwing in the bolts for the bottle cages and rear rack, with no bolts on the fork dropouts, might not have had a front rack.

The SP hub does not appear to be plugged into anything, there is no front light. For touring, I am sold on dynohubs, the last tour I did without was nine years ago. I use them to charge up my batteries, that is another device that is not included here. You would have the power supply but nothing to convert that power to USB power. Shimano dynohub connectors fit on SP hubs, if one is not included you can buy a Shimano one, the connector is probably cheaper than the shipping charge for one. If you google shimano dynohub connector you will find plenty for sale.

If the dynohub wheel is 32 spoke instead of 36, I would not worry about that. My light touring bike has 32 in front, 36 rear.

Touring, I like fenders but a lot of people don't, just making a comment here.

It is very hard to ride a bike and know if it is the right fit teh first time. This one has drop bars, I assume your Bianchi does not. With drop bars the top tube should be shorter because your hands on the bars are more forward from the steerer tube than your hands would be on a flat bar bike. So, comparing top tube lengths might not mean anything. If you have a drop bar bike that fits well, you can measure the key factors and compare to this bike. Often a stem change is needed to get the right fit for a different rider.

The front and rear rims, I do not think they match. That is common when someone has a dynbohub wheel built up. If you get it, you could ask for the original front wheel too, they might have it. There is no real reason to do that, but having a spare wheel never hurts if they throw it in for free. And if you sold the bike later, if you had another quick release bike (not through axle) the dynohub wheel could be swapped over to it later.

Here are the original specs if you are interested.
https://www.rei.com/product/875004/n...onee-bike-2016

The most important thing is fit. But different stems are easy to install to fix a bad fit if the bike is close to the right fit once you know which stem you need.

Stems that are shorter than about 80mm are out there, but less common than longer. Most of my bikes have an 80 or 90mm stem. Some bikes, my stem is nearly horizontal, some it is angled way up.
Old 07-18-23, 10:30 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
It seems to be a good price if there is no damage to the bike. Cable, tire and brake pad replacement, re-lubing are all part of buying a used biked. If you are familiar with bike maintenance, for a less than $100, you can make it as good as new.
Old 07-19-23, 07:36 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
She says it works - she used it for charging a phone while riding.
Maybe a little off-topic but I think it takes a lot for a dynamo hub to stop working. It is after all just a bunch of magnets around a coil of wire, running to a couple of contacts.

I was at an event once where an employee from a local bike shop was demoing their dynamo-equipped folding bikes. I asked if I could plug in my homebrew charger which was connected to my phone and he vigorously refused. I was sort of mystified - I mean, even if I had made the most shoddily constructed charger, how could a charger possibly hurt a dynamo?
Old 07-19-23, 09:30 AM
mams99

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If she has a repair stand, that suggests she knows something about bikes. That is a good sign, it was probably well maintained. If the stand belongs to a friend, maybe not.

Paint looks good, I do not see many nicks or scrapes, but from the photos it is hard to tell. Tentatively, I would say it is either low mileage or it is well cared for, or maybe both.

I tend to negotiate on used goods, you could say that without racks or bottle cages, the price looks too high. Maybe they will move on price or throw in those accessories.

It looks like they are throwing in the bolts for the bottle cages and rear rack, with no bolts on the fork dropouts, might not have had a front rack.

The SP hub does not appear to be plugged into anything, there is no front light. For touring, I am sold on dynohubs, the last tour I did without was nine years ago. I use them to charge up my batteries, that is another device that is not included here. You would have the power supply but nothing to convert that power to USB power. Shimano dynohub connectors fit on SP hubs, if one is not included you can buy a Shimano one, the connector is probably cheaper than the shipping charge for one. If you google shimano dynohub connector you will find plenty for sale.

If the dynohub wheel is 32 spoke instead of 36, I would not worry about that. My light touring bike has 32 in front, 36 rear.

Touring, I like fenders but a lot of people don't, just making a comment here.

It is very hard to ride a bike and know if it is the right fit teh first time. This one has drop bars, I assume your Bianchi does not. With drop bars the top tube should be shorter because your hands on the bars are more forward from the steerer tube than your hands would be on a flat bar bike. So, comparing top tube lengths might not mean anything. If you have a drop bar bike that fits well, you can measure the key factors and compare to this bike. Often a stem change is needed to get the right fit for a different rider.

The front and rear rims, I do not think they match. That is common when someone has a dynbohub wheel built up. If you get it, you could ask for the original front wheel too, they might have it. There is no real reason to do that, but having a spare wheel never hurts if they throw it in for free. And if you sold the bike later, if you had another quick release bike (not through axle) the dynohub wheel could be swapped over to it later.

Here are the original specs if you are interested.
https://www.rei.com/product/875004/n...onee-bike-2016

The most important thing is fit. But different stems are easy to install to fix a bad fit if the bike is close to the right fit once you know which stem you need.

Stems that are shorter than about 80mm are out there, but less common than longer. Most of my bikes have an 80 or 90mm stem. Some bikes, my stem is nearly horizontal, some it is angled way up.

She used to work in a bike shop... but this is a used bike to her too - it was a friends. I will ask about the racks... I have ones I can use, but having all the parts would be good. IF I go for this one. It's quite a hike for me. I'm really torn... Do I buy something secondhand which is a very good bike, or save up for a dream secondhand bike or even spring for a new one? My practical nature says to save $, but...
Old 07-19-23, 09:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
The Randonee is a solid bike. Rode mine across the country in 2009 and rode it to work this morning.

I'd figure you're getting $300 worth of dyno wheel, even used, meaning the rest of the bike is $300. If it fits and you need a way to carry a load, jump on it!
Old 07-19-23, 11:36 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
To me a rando bike is a platform; the question (besides does it fit me) is whether it can accommodate your idea of a touring bike. On that regard this is a superb bike that (other than not being lugged and 25 years older but that's just me) checks all my boxes. Canti studs, generous chain stays (17 3/8"), plenty of wheel clearance for fatter tires, and mount points all over the place. Heck the dynamo is a hell of a perk. Even if you don't use lights you can still put an USB charger port on the bike.

You should be able to fit this bike to whatever purpose you have in mind without having to fight it.
Old 07-19-23, 06:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by abdon
To me a rando bike is a platform; the question (besides does it fit me) is whether it can accommodate your idea of a touring bike. On that regard this is a superb bike that (other than not being lugged and 25 years older but that's just me) checks all my boxes. Canti studs, generous chain stays (17 3/8"), plenty of wheel clearance for fatter tires, and mount points all over the place. Heck the dynamo is a hell of a perk. Even if you don't use lights you can still put an USB charger port on the bike.

You should be able to fit this bike to whatever purpose you have in mind without having to fight it.
REI sold that as a touring bike, not for randonneuring. Do not let the model name fool you.
Old 07-19-23, 06:34 PM
Tourist in MSN

On the dynohub and charging stuff, if you ride with the hub not connected to any devices, nothing bad will happen, no need to worry about that.

For riding around near home, I usually leave my lights on since it does not appear to slow me down. I know with certainty that there is some drag from the dynohub, but when I am riding the bike, I can't feel it. But, if I spin the front wheel by hand with a light on, the wheel will slow down much quicker than if I spin the wheel with the light off, thus I know that there is more drag if the lights are on.

There are many different USB chargers that can be wired to the dynohub. I have used Sinewave Revolution and the Cycle2Charge V3. Both are good. I think I prefer the Cycle2Charge, it is not sold in USA, I bought mine on the German Amazon site. There are others too.

On a bike tour, I leave the dyno powered dyno powered lights on, only use the dynohub for charging batteries with the USB charger. Or, on some tours I did not even have dyno powered lights along. I typically use a battery powered flasher while riding, but that is using batteries.

If you think about getting lights, Peter White website has good description of how to wire up a lighting system with a dynohub.

If you are curious, this is how I wired up my lights on my rando bike.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...b-charger.html