Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Any Salsa Woodsmoke users/owners?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 06:18 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Considering trying this bike ( Salsa Woodsmoke GX1 1x11 29er+) used a a fair pricepoint , from my research at the pricepoint i'm shopping it seems to have better base spec/fork and travel offering, plus convertible dropout allows 27+.

Was wondering if anyone had any input on its single track capabilities. I'm a beginner so i wouldn't be using it for the super technical trails, but beginner and intermediate stuff.
Old 02-22-19, 11:31 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
Considering trying this bike ( Salsa Woodsmoke GX1 1x11 29er+) used a a fair pricepoint , from my research at the pricepoint i'm shopping it seems to have better base spec/fork and travel offering, plus convertible dropout allows 27+.

Was wondering if anyone had any input on its single track capabilities. I'm a beginner so i wouldn't be using it for the super technical trails, but beginner and intermediate stuff.
It's heavy for a carbon hard tail at 29 lbs according to REI. For about the same money you can get an aluminum Specialized Chisel Comp X1, slightly better fork, better brakes from Shimano and about 26 lbs. Might cost you an extra $130 for Nobby Nic's but that puts it at the same price as a Salsa.

Just noticed you maybe said Used ?. It's still heavy but price dependent, maybe as it's still heavy for a carbon HT.

And as note. As a beginner I would be asking a good LBS for advice. Fitting a 29'er is different enough from ye dayes of olde with 26" etc.....

Last edited by Steve B.; 02-22-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 08:45 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Funny you mention the Chisel , I just read this now. Thanks for the reply. I decided against trying my chances on that used Carbon Salsa, gnarly bike but I was more enticed by the goid deal vs what really would fit me and opting for a colorway I wasn't crazy about.

I visited a Spesh dealer and tested a 2019 Rockhopper Pro and a 2018 Chisel Comp on Friday. I really took to the Chisels weight and feels and gave me confidence that kind of bike is good balance of what I want in a hardtail.

I went home, did a little more digging and compiled a few more choices in that segment, and came across the 2018 ProCaliber 8 discounted from $2200 to $1799 on Trek's site which hours later the last bike, a 17.5 sold online. It came with a really nice mix of parts in that price ballpark. The combination of A Reba RL air fork, $400+ Raceface Next R carbon cranks (double but configurable to 1X), SLX/XT drivetrain, carbon seatpost and the compliance aspect of the Isospeed on Trek's Platinum grade aluminum...was just combo of features that stood out amongst my other choices for the money, particularly at $400 discount. Pretty sure the Chisel came with a Judy and Deore shifters, so for $200 more , the Trek just seemed better appointed as a package for a upper end aluminum hardtail and what the $1600 dealer wanted for the Chisel.

The local dealer I group road ride with is a Giant and Cannondale store, which happens to be in the process of opening a second location and bringing Trek onboard. I reached out to my mechanic, and lo and behold they were in the process of being added to the dealer locator but could already place orders. They called in that Friday afternoon, turns out the very last 2018 ProCaliber 8 in the states in that 17.5 was available in the Cali warehouse. I pulled the trigger.

I'm pretty excited and look forward to riding some proper trails in the area.

Last edited by Esthetic; 03-03-19 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-03-19, 03:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
Funny you mention the Chisel , I just read this now. Thanks for the reply. I decided against trying my chances on that used Carbon Salsa, gnarly bike but I was more enticed by the goid deal vs what really would fit me and opting for a colorway I wasn't crazy about.

I visited a Spesh dealer and tested a 2019 Rockhopper Pro and a 2018 Chisel Comp on Friday. I really took to the Chisels weight and feels and gave me confidence that kind of bike is good balance of what I want in a hardtail.

I went home, did a little more digging and compiled a few more choices in that segment, and came across the 2018 ProCaliber 8 discounted from $2200 to $1799 on Trek's site which hours later the last bike, a 17.5 sold online. It came with a really nice mix of parts in that price ballpark. The combination of A Reba RL air fork, $400+ Raceface Next R carbon cranks (double but configurable to 1X), SLX/XT drivetrain, carbon seatpost and the compliance aspect of the Isospeed on Trek's Platinum grade aluminum...was just combo of features that stood out amongst my other choices for the money, particularly at $400 discount. Pretty sure the Chisel came with a Judy and Deore shifters, so for $200 more , the Trek just seemed better appointed as a package for a upper end aluminum hardtail and what the $1600 dealer wanted for the Chisel.

The local dealer I group road ride with is a Giant and Cannondale store, which happens to be in the process of opening a second location and bringing Trek onboard. I reached out to my mechanic, and lo and behold they were in the process of being added to the dealer locator but could already place orders. They called in that Friday afternoon, turns out the very last 2018 ProCaliber 8 in the states in that 17.5 was available in the Cali warehouse. I pulled the trigger.

I'm pretty excited and look forward to riding some proper trails in the area.
Oooo.... good find and call. The Pro-Calibers are very nice bikes and had I liked the color (I think it was a dark grey) I would have gone that route. I picked up my Chisel on Wed. afternoon. It snowed Thurs. AM. then Friday AM and Sat AM. I tried to get out this afternoon but the local trails are all slush and muck. Went 1/4 mile and bailed. I doubt I’ll get onto any single track for a week at best.
Old 03-03-19, 07:19 PM
Esthetic

Yeah weather has been terrible here, they've closed some of our trails too. Congrats on the Chisel, helluva bike! I dug the graphite with dark blue colorway, looked great outside the shop.

Thanks, the silver and black is at home with me, and I dug it by design. I'm a sad Raiders fan Haha. Texted a pic of it I found online and told my buddy 'Got my Raiders themed bike!
Already have a nice toptube decal and stem cap planned for it.