Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is this also the forum for “bike packing” ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Is this also the forum for “bike packing” ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 12:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
Three-month-old thread alert! Well, you know what it's like on BikeForums: resurrect a thread and it's "Why didn't you start a new one?" Start a new thread and it's "We had a thread on that - use the search feature!!!"

Anyway, over on Radavist, author John Watson explores 'bike touring vs. bikepacking' in a recently posted editorial. His take in summary: Bags&bikes used and surfaces ridden are irrelevant. It's all just touring unless it's time/distance competitive (mass start, against the clock, FKT). Only then is it bikepacking.

https://theradavist.com/bike-touring...s-bikepacking/

I think I'm going to start calling the non-competitive, away-from-home rides I do "bummels".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...rd_'Bummel'
Old 06-12-23, 01:24 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
One interesting data point from my travels through the US these past seven weeks. The term "bike packing" does seem to have common name recognition. A few times including today in Indiana I was cycling through a small town with my bike and four panniers when someone called a variation of "hey are you bike packing"? This seems to be followed with a "do you need anything?" type question. So at least in New York, Ohio and Indiana so far the term "bike packing" has been applied to my touring.

I mostly acknowledge the positive sentiments rather than get into a semantic discussion.
Likes For mev:
Old 06-12-23, 04:02 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I mostly acknowledge the positive sentiments rather than get into a semantic discussion.
good idea, leave that to us old pedantic idiots on the interwebs, we've got that covered pretty good.
Old 06-12-23, 04:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Three-month-old thread alert! Well, you know what it's like on BikeForums: resurrect a thread and it's "Why didn't you start a new one?" Start a new thread and it's "We had a thread on that - use the search feature!!!"

Anyway, over on Radavist, author John Watson explores 'bike touring vs. bikepacking' in a recently posted editorial. His take in summary: Bags&bikes used and surfaces ridden are irrelevant. It's all just touring unless it's time/distance competitive (mass start, against the clock, FKT). Only then is it bikepacking.

I think I'm going to start calling the non-competitive, away-from-home rides I do "bummels".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...rd_'Bummel'
I read the John Watson article and just have to ask who died and made him Pope? Who is he anyway and why does he get to be the Supreme justice on this? Considering that the number of people who get paid to ride their bike competitively pales when compared to the number of people who ride their bikes for non-monetary reasons, why should they even get a say? Who cares what a handful of racer dudes and dudettes call their particular brand of masochism? The rest of us get to call the shots.

I differentiate between off-road, relatively short, relatively rugged tours and longer, relatively smooth on-road travel as bikepacking for the former and touring for the latter. Frankly, I’d rather use panniers…low riders and all… all the time but they just don’t work as well for rugged tours. They just get in the way if the trail gets close. Bikepacking bags work better for off-road rugged touring but, honestly, they make for crap handling. The majority of the load is 18” to 2 feet higher than panniers and it feels like it. When bikepacking I expect to crash because of the load at least once on each trip. I never crash with panniers. Since I’m Stuart Black, that should make my ideas at least valid as “John Watson”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-12-23, 05:39 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I read the John Watson article...
Didja read the comments following the editorial? Mr. Watson got toasted by most.
Old 06-12-23, 10:24 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by tcs
Didja read the comments following the editorial? Mr. Watson got toasted by most.
No I didn’t. Was a bit too ticked off by his article.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-13-23, 04:46 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Well that was the hot take alright..

I guess for me the difference has always been dirt and single track = bikepacking and road and double track = touring but

They're all fun
Old 06-13-23, 05:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
The topic of defining bikepacking is kind of like politics in a polarized society where a lot of people get their information from social media instead of true journalism where sources are confirmed, etc.

I consider bikepacking to be putting your gear on the bike without using racks, regardless of the ground surface or type of bike. But I have no interest in arguing with those that have different opinions because I really do not care if they have different opinions.

I wonder how many people will tell me I am wrong in this post?
Old 06-13-23, 11:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

Yeah, I read that article a week or so ago and my initial thought was I was genuinely confused as to what I had just read. It was so pretentious and worthless that I really thought maybe I misunderstood the article. Then I checked some comments and realized the article really was just totally worthless.
It was just a long winded hot take. One of the comments even calls the guy out for generating crap content with the hope of getting clicks and the author really didnt disagree in response.

What a pile of wasted time- both to write that and to push it out for people to consume.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-13-23, 12:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The sentiment that, if it's not racing it's not valid, is hardly new or confined to bicycling much less bike touring. Eking an article out of it - well, it's a living.

The new Spiderman movie has a boss battle scene wherein they all wreck the Guggenheim museum, and as they throw sculptures at one another, one asks - but is it art? and the other one replies - well, we're talking about it

Popular counterpoint (misattributed to Vonnegut)
When I was 15, I spent a month working on an archeological dig. I was talking to one of the archeologists one day during our lunch break and he asked those kinds of “getting to know you” questions you ask young people: Do you play sports? What’s your favorite subject? And I told him, no I don’t play any sports. I do theater, I’m in choir, I play the violin and piano, I used to take art classes. And he went WOW. That’s amazing!

And I said, “Oh no, but I’m not any good at ANY of them.”

And he said something then that I will never forget and which absolutely blew my mind because no one had ever said anything like it to me before: “I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them.”

And that honestly changed my life. Because I went from a failure, someone who hadn’t been talented enough at anything to excel, to someone who did things because I enjoyed them. I had been raised in such an achievement-oriented environment, so inundated with the myth of Talent, that I thought it was only worth doing things if you could “Win” at them.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-13-23, 03:26 PM
tcs
Palmer

Hmph. I took it that Watson was trying to pitch a big “touring” tent, which answers the thread title. Also, paid by the word.
Old 06-13-23, 05:28 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The sentiment that, if it's not racing it's not valid, is hardly new or confined to bicycling much less bike touring. Eking an article out of it - well, it's a living.
Gotta disagree…at least when it comes to bike touring. I fully agree that it isn’t new when applied to all other aspects of bicycling. It happened to mountain biking where the bike went from something utilitarian to something highly specialized and only designed for racing. Try finding a mountain bike with rack mounts, for example. But the racing aspect has never really been applied to bicycle touring before. I thought our particular madness was somewhat exempt from making it into a professional racing activity.

But then I have no idea how corn hole can be a professional sport

Old 06-13-23, 06:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Bikepacking is what you do every morning in the campsite before you embark on the next leg of the bike tour. At least it goes faster if you have four smallish panniers.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-14-23, 04:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

But then I have no idea how corn hole can be a professional sport

IKR

Last year I saw some corn hole championship on TV. May have even been on ESPN. I first thought it was a joke.

I associate corn hole with the drunk neighbors who live around the corner from me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-23, 06:39 AM
djb

as a Canadian not familiar with this "corn hole" term, with trepidation I had to look it up just now--sort of assumed it was a corn on the cob eating contest. I've only known this to be a "bean bag toss", but maybe cuz I'm a city slicker.
Old 06-14-23, 07:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by djb
as a Canadian not familiar with this "corn hole" term, with trepidation I had to look it up just now--sort of assumed it was a corn on the cob eating contest. I've only known this to be a "bean bag toss", but maybe cuz I'm a city slicker.
I grew up in Minnesota, live in Wisconsin, both states are major corn producers. So, do not feel that you were missing out by being a Canadian, I do not know what it is, and I suspect that life will be just fine if I remain ignorant.
Old 06-14-23, 09:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Yeah, growing up in Chicago in the 80s and 90s, it was called 'bags'.
Then it suddenly seemed to explode in popularity in the early 00s across the US at tailgating parties and summer yard parties. Suddenly I heard it called 'corn hole' over and over. I get it- fill the bags with corn as the weight. But still, its bags.
Its called both here in Iowa, land of corn and beans. So it isnt just a city slicker thing, though calling it 'bean bag toss' may result in some looking to see if you are going to insert your monacle and remove your top hat prior to tossing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-14-23, 10:33 AM
djb

I'm sure it's a fun party game no matter what it's called, but would not want to drag it along with panniers or bikepacking stuff.
Old 06-14-23, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I grew up in Minnesota, live in Wisconsin, both states are major corn producers. So, do not feel that you were missing out by being a Canadian, I do not know what it is, and I suspect that life will be just fine if I remain ignorant.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/********

It actually has a somewhat interesting history.

The Bikeforums censor blocked part of the URL. You will have to look it up yourself.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-23, 01:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by indyfabz
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/********

It actually has a somewhat interesting history.

The Bikeforums censor blocked part of the URL. You will have to look it up yourself.
I have played bean bags, but never heard of it named corn hole.
Old 06-15-23, 12:26 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Where I was from, corn hole meant something not good, as in what can happen in a prison shower. I can only imagine the censor is blocking it for that reason?
Old 06-15-23, 03:48 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Where I was from, corn hole meant something not good, as in what can happen in a prison shower. I can only imagine the censor is blocking it for that reason?
I’m sure. It’s both a verb and a noun in that context.

Remember the sage advice Lawrence gives Peter in Office Space,

NSFW

Old 06-15-23, 06:14 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

I associate corn hole with the drunk neighbors who live around the corner from me.
it's all about cornholio.

Likes For saddlesores:
Old 06-15-23, 06:51 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have played bean bags, but never heard of it named corn hole.
Well that’s what they are calling it now. They even have an an association by that name.

Old 06-15-23, 12:03 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I think the Radavist's take on this debate offers the most clear distinction between the two terms. If you're doing a bike tour and competing for the fastest time on a designated route, you're bikepacking. Pretty simple and clear.

The gear doesn't matter and the road surface doesn't matter because people regularly carry a mix of panniers and soft bags and regularly do tours on mixed terrain. If I'm on a tour and I'm riding a paved section to get to a singletrack section am I touring on the pavement and then bikepacking on the singletrack?

That being said, I don't care which term people use. They're pretty much interchangeable words anyways.
Likes For niknak:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.