Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favorite tubeless sealant?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-23, 02:03 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts

Curious what is everyone's favorite tubeless sealant. Not trying to start or continue the tubeless vs. tubes debate.

I've been tubeless for over 2 years now and had 2 punctures in that timeframe. Both were on the rear tire, a Schwalbe Pro One Addix TLE tire. I picked up a nail on a century ride withsome buddies. I actually rode the whole day and never noticed it until the next day when I was cleaning the bike. There was dried latex all over the seat stays and seat tube but was still holding air. Looking inside, there was a bit of sealant left but it was mostly gone. I've been using Orange Seal Regular since going tubeless. I decided not to patch the tire since I had a patched it previously on a sidewall cut (flat #1) and put on a new set of tires. I used the rest of my Orange Seal and wanted to know if anyone had any experiences with other products before I go out to buy more.

Old 07-12-23, 03:00 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I’ve used a bunch over the years, including Orange Seal, and my favorites are Panaracer SealSmart and Bontrager sealant. Both work well. I also like the blue hues.

I very much want to try the Silca stuff; the tech sounds promising.
Old 07-12-23, 06:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I’ve used a bunch over the years, including Orange Seal, and my favorites are Panaracer SealSmart and Bontrager sealant. Both work well. I also like the blue hues.

I very much want to try the Silca stuff; the tech sounds promising.
There was a recent thread about Silca sealant and unfortunately it didn’t work out too well for the guy who tried it.

I’ve had good results with Muc-off sealant over the last few years, so I’m sticking with that for now.
Old 07-12-23, 06:37 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Run from Silca Sealant and it’s just not myself. The carbon filler clumps together rendering it useless. The latex pools and solidifies if not regularly ridden or or sealant refreshed monthly.

The reason I am so passionate about this, when I pointed out the problems to Silca the response was they are aware of the problem and working on the formulation. I asked what about the two large bottles of sealant and replenisher I purchased much less the destroyed tire, answer was nothing. So Silca is dead to me going forward.

Orange seal or Stan’s Race for me going forward.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 07-12-23 at 07:07 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-12-23, 06:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Whoa! That’s radical! Radically weird, I mean. Thanks Atlas Shrugged . Seems like they really must have missed something to have that happening; I’ve never seen anything like it.

I will say, though, that you got excellent, bead-to-bead coverage with the sealant! Kudos on the setup job!

I had good success with Stan’s Race; that’s a good one in my book, too. I only used it once, back when I was trying to use a syringe to insert sealant into the valve stem, and the Race would often clog it. I dunno why it never ocurred to me to just do it MTB style and break the bead…

Anyway, I soon thereafter got the Bontrager stuff which comes in these little, maybe 4oz, bottles with a cone-like, tapered nozzle top. I trim the top just big enough to slide over the valve stem and squeeze in whatever sealant I’m using with that, and it works great.
Old 07-12-23, 06:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
A few days ago I took off some tires that had Panaracer sealant in them, with the walnut shells. The smell was a bit of a surprise. I think there was some bacterial growth in there.

Apart from that, my main issue was that a syringe for injecting the sealant filtered out a lot of the larger fragments.

I was thinking of using ox blood and injecting thrombin.
Old 07-12-23, 07:38 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Stans (regular, not race) worked well for me, but seemed a little "thin" in my opinion so I recently changed.

Now using Muc Off which seems thicker out the bottle. So far so good.
Old 07-12-23, 10:27 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I've used Truckco in the past, its cheaper than Stans. Seemed to work fine in the mtn bikes.
Old 07-13-23, 12:18 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
A few days ago I took off some tires that had Panaracer sealant in them, with the walnut shells. The smell was a bit of a surprise. I think there was some bacterial growth in there.

Apart from that, my main issue was that a syringe for injecting the sealant filtered out a lot of the larger fragments.

I was thinking of using ox blood and injecting thrombin.
A simple blood patch would work, no need for thrombin.
Old 07-13-23, 03:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Stan No Tubes, been looking at trying the "race" stuff. Not sure if it's that much 'better' for a typical road rider for the cost. Almost 2x the cost.
Old 07-14-23, 12:22 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Muc-Off here. It's thick and effective. I use 2oz rather than 1oz however, due to its thickness. I was using Giant (Stans) Sealant before and it was thin like milk. Didn't seal the tire on the rim as well, nor seal small punctures as well.
Old 07-14-23, 12:47 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I've been using MucOff for the past couple of years. Haven't had any problems with it so far. One cool thing is that the sealant is designed to glow under UV light, so you can see if you had a leak/seal. It even comes with a mini UV keychain light.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 07-14-23, 10:27 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I'm settled on using Orange Seal Endurance. I've also tried tried Caffelatex (can't remember what I didn't like) and Stans regular. I thought the Stan's plugged punctures really well. But what it didn't do well was seal sidewalls. I've had various tires where the sidewalls of new tires have really small leaks. The Stans simply doesn't want to stick to the inside of the tire. Even tried cleaning the inside with alcohol and painting the Stans on and letting it dry. Still wouldn't work. Orange Seal, sealed the tire right away.

Obviously this is also a function of the tires. But it's the reason I didn't stay with Stans.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 07-15-23, 04:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Muc-Off here. It's thick and effective. I use 2oz rather than 1oz however, due to its thickness. I was using Giant (Stans) Sealant before and it was thin like milk. Didn't seal the tire on the rim as well, nor seal small punctures as well.
I made exactly the same observation about Stans vs Muc-Off when my Giant Defy arrived with Stans. I was surprised how thin and milky it was compared to my usual Muc-Off, which is much thicker and coats the inside of the tyre like paint.

To be fair I never used Stans long enough to find out how effective it was. I was already using Muc-Off on my mtb tyres and switched my Defy to the same after a few months.
Old 07-15-23, 11:19 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
The Stan's Race seems to be for bigger holes you would encounter on a MTB. It will clog valves very often but not the Reserve high flow type of valves. I used regular Stan's for a long long time and switched to Orange Seal (regular) a few years ago when I started to look at road tubeless. Now I use it in everything. I use their Subzero version in my fatbike but regular in everything else.
Old 07-15-23, 12:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Orange Seal Endurance for me. I originally used the Bontrager stuff, but like the Silca above, it globs if they wheels are not turned often and it clogged the cores pretty bad. Orange Seal Endurance has worked very well, I've had 1 puncture that I am aware of and it sealed it up while I was riding, the only I discovered it was that someone mention that it looked like I had hit something as there was a spot on my rear tire. It does not block up my cores either, so that is a positive. I also find that the Orange Seal cleans up a lot easier on the rim and inside the tire that the versions with the larger particles.

Old 07-15-23, 12:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Orange seal and cat hair or razor clippings.

Old 07-15-23, 01:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by rsbob
Never thought about the razor clippings...

Old 07-15-23, 01:56 PM
YetiLuv

Bikes: Kona Wo, Salsa Big Mama and Marin Rift Zone

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this serious?
Old 07-15-23, 07:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by YetiLuv
Is this serious?
Yup. Additional binding/clogging agents which are bio friendly.

Old 07-15-23, 08:09 PM
jaxgtr

just curious, while I don't have a cat, I do have a wife that sheds a lot of hair, , although I do shave trim my beard on a regular basis, but it's more fun to discuss the wife shedding, but I digress, does it interfere with the valve core like the agents put in some sealant?

Last edited by jaxgtr; 07-15-23 at 08:16 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-15-23, 08:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
just curious, while I don't have a cat, I do have a wife that sheds a lot of hair, , although I do shave my beard on a regular basis, but it's more fun to discuss the wife shedding, but I digress, does it interfere with the valve core like the agents put in some sealant?
I only add the hair when when either putting on new tires or if I feel inspired enough to unseat the tire. Your wife’s secret is safe with me.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-16-23, 08:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I didn’t realize that the Silca stuff uses bits and strands of carbon fiber…as in “microplastics.” I mean, that stuff could be ingested by humans or animals, accumulate and persist forever, right? It’s not biodegradable and won’t break down, even it’s most basic form (i.e. without epoxies). Seems potentially quite nasty…and unnecessary. I’ll stick with my walnut shell infused SealSmart.
Old 07-16-23, 08:11 AM
YetiLuv

Bikes: Kona Wo, Salsa Big Mama and Marin Rift Zone

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. Makes sense but is there a valve issue?
Old 07-16-23, 10:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by YetiLuv
Thanks. Makes sense but is there a valve issue?
Not if the valve is at 12:00 when you air up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.