Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on grip tape?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Advice on grip tape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23, 10:10 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Advice on grip tape?

I'm looking to replace the stock grip tape on my new Domane with something brown (to match my seat) and thicker. My hands seem to fall asleep no matter where I put them, even with padded gloves. I've been working on supporting more of my upper body weight with my back, but I'm having limited success.

I found these two on Amazon; cheapo for $11 and Brooks for $35.

Neither one of them looks very thick, but the cheaper one looks thicker.

Brooks advertises microfiber, but it looks like vinyl. What's the story here?

I see cork grips are popular? Are they more cushy or just more absorbant?

Any other recommendations for a nice thick bar tape in brown?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-23, 10:22 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Get whatever type and color of bar tape you like, and put some gel pads under it.

Here is one example, from Fizik (there are others): Handlebar Gel Pads
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-14-23, 11:11 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I'm looking to replace the stock grip tape on my new Domane with something brown (to match my seat) and thicker. My hands seem to fall asleep no matter where I put them, even with padded gloves. I've been working on supporting more of my upper body weight with my back, but I'm having limited success.
Unless you maintain a death grip while riding over cobbles, maybe the issue is not the handlebar tape, but (a) the tilt and/or reach of your handlebar and/or (b) the tilt and/or position of your saddle.

Re: (a), does your palms fall naturally onto the hoods and ramps of your handlebar (with reference to Bike Gremlin 's illustrated guide below)?

Drop bar hand positions | BikeGremlin

Re: (b), if your saddle is mal-adjusted such that you slide or fall forward, it be hard to support more of your upper body weight with your back.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-14-23, 12:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I took some foam pipe insulation and put around my bars once. I thought it'd end the numbness I was getting. It didn't.

It did feel nice and cushy for a while as it absorbed the bumps from the road. But the main issue for my numbness was that my wrists were bent.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-14-23, 12:18 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Cork is known for shock and sweat absorbtion. I bought the Cinelli Gel Cork this year for my girlfriend and she likes it. It's not too thin, not too thick. The ''natural cork'' color is a mix of orange and brown, I am not sure if it would fit your liking.
Old 07-14-23, 12:28 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Great post, I'll try to check later.

Right now to me, the hoods feel a bit far out. Drops feel low, (maybe due to my belly being in the way a bit) The bar can't come back or go any higher, so my only adjustment is seat fore/aft or getting a different bar.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Unless you maintain a death grip while riding over cobbles, maybe the issue is not the handlebar tape, but (a) the tilt and/or reach of your handlebar and/or (b) the tilt and/or position of your saddle.

Re: (a), does your palms fall naturally onto the hoods and ramps of your handlebar (with reference to Bike Gremlin 's illustrated guide below)?

Drop bar hand positions | BikeGremlin

Re: (b), if your saddle is mal-adjusted such that you slide or fall forward, it be hard to support more of your upper body weight with your back.
Old 07-14-23, 12:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

... the hoods feel a bit far out.
Both (a) tilt of the handlebar (relative to the stem) and (b) where the STI levers are clamped to the bar affect the reach to hoods. Since you plan to wrap new tape anyway, you can experiment with tilting the handlebar to move the bar ends closer to the saddle and clamping the STI levers closer to the tops. Or buy a bar with shorter reach and different ergonomics.

Drops feel low, (maybe due to my belly being in the way a bit)
Buy a bar with a smaller drop.

The bar can't come back or go any higher, so my only adjustment is seat fore/aft or getting a different bar.
Saddle fore/aft is (mostly) used to adjust the balance of your lower body while pedaling. To move the tops of the handlebar closer and/or higher, buy a different stem.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-14-23, 12:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Smaug1 We can better help you if you take a photo of your bike setup (a) with the bike vertical and perpendicular to flat ground and (b) with the camera level to the junction of the stem and the steerer.
Old 07-15-23, 07:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 411 Posts
I get numbness in my left hand/fingers and there is a lot written on line on "ulnar nerves" worth reviewing, here is just one:https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...r-nerve-palsy/
To address I move my hands a lot, use anti-vibration glove I have found that work better for me than cycling gloves, gel under tape, raised bars with less drop getting weight off the hands with selle anatomica saddles taking the additional weight moved to the saddle.
Old 07-15-23, 07:59 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Great post, I'll try to check later.

Right now to me, the hoods feel a bit far out. Drops feel low, (maybe due to my belly being in the way a bit) The bar can't come back or go any higher, so my only adjustment is seat fore/aft or getting a different bar.
You are not used to the geometry. It’s not the tape. When I got my Domane, the drops and reach felt much the same, but they would since I was coming from a mountain bike.

I would get a good Retul or other fit, and learn some good techniques. Over time you will acclimate to the feel of riding a road bike.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-15-23, 08:36 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I find stock drops too small for my hands so I put on a layer of old innertube beneath the bar tape. Been doing this for years. It also protects the bars from rain and sweat that soaks through the bar tape.
Old 07-15-23, 08:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

I found these two on Amazon; cheapo for $11 and Brooks for $35.

Neither one of them looks very thick, but the cheaper one looks thicker.

Brooks advertises microfiber, but it looks like vinyl. What's the story here?

I see cork grips are popular? Are they more cushy or just more absorbant?

Any other recommendations for a nice thick bar tape in brown?

Thanks.
Thick and brown, though probably not a matching brown -- so consider it accenting your saddle instead of matching :-)
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...32376187519011
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-15-23, 01:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I always apply something to the horizontal sections of the bar between the stem and the brake lever before putting on "handlebar" tape. I have used thin closed cell foam sheets in the past but today I would buy the tape that is sold as tennis racket grip tape. The tennis grip tape is cheap and comes in 43 inch long rolls. I would wrap it around the bar more than once to get the added diameter I want for the flat sections of the handlebar. I do a loose wrap to provide more cushioning for my hands. I only apply the bicycle tape to the drop sections of the handlebar.

In the past I replaced the factory handlebars with ones from Cinelli that had larger diameter tubing. The older handlebars had a clamp size of 26mm and starting with a 31.8 clamp size was a big improvement before adding any tape.

The amount of actual padding provided by bike gloves varies a great deal and one cannot go by the description to find the best gloves. I check out the gloves at REI and local bike shops first before trying to buy them online.
Old 07-15-23, 02:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Get whatever type and color of bar tape you like, and put some gel pads under it.

Here is one example, from Fizik (there are others): Handlebar Gel Pads
Originally Posted by eduskator
Cork is known for shock and sweat absorbtion. I bought the Cinelli Gel Cork this year for my girlfriend and she likes it. It's not too thin, not too thick. The ''natural cork'' color is a mix of orange and brown, I am not sure if it would fit your liking.
I agree with both of the above statements: the gel pads can transform any tape you like into a more cushy version. I also have used and liked the Cinelli gel cork tape quite a bit. It might not be currently true, but in the past, I found the Salsa gel cork tape to be identical to the Cinelli version except for the imbossed logos. In fact, I had a box of each a year or so ago, and the boxes were identical in shape, size, and printing except one was Salsa and one was Cinelli. Just an interesting factoid.

But back to the OP: most padded tapes these days are labeled with a thickness, the thicker ones have more cush. That's one way to choose. I'm of the camp that there is no one best tape - whether that be unpadded or padded. Look for one with the color you like, the thickness you want to try, and, hopefully, on sale. I usually price shop that way because there's so many good tape with equivalent function. Therefore price and color are the only significant factors in the end. Same goes for unpadded tape which I used to use, but now like a little cushyness.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-16-23 at 10:34 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-15-23, 05:39 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I had issue with one of my hands and found I had some carpel tunnel issues, really bad on the right, that I had to have the surgery to loosen. Adjusting the position of my shifters a helped the left, but I have been having more issues on my left side lately and I suspect that I am going down the same path as the right that will require surgery. The right side has been fine ever since.

Old 07-16-23, 06:36 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

I think you’re probably right, but thicker bar tape with gel padding underneath can’t hurt, right?

My neck pain is getting less with each ride. Hands fell asleep less on yesterday’s 46 miler. Might just be a matter of using muscles I hadn’t used much before.

I will say that changing saddles made a HUGE difference. (To Selle Anatomica X-2)

Originally Posted by Mojo31
You are not used to the geometry. It’s not the tape. When I got my Domane, the drops and reach felt much the same, but they would since I was coming from a mountain bike.

I would get a good Retul or other fit, and learn some good techniques. Over time you will acclimate to the feel of riding a road bike.
Old 07-22-23, 04:27 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Cinneli cork/gel tape is quite cushy. It comes in a 'Natural' color that might work for you.
Old 07-22-23, 05:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thick and brown, though probably not a matching brown -- so consider it accenting your saddle instead of matching :-)
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...32376187519011
I recently got this (black not brown). My favorite bar tape by far.
Old 07-27-23, 07:00 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I don’t think new tape will help that much. I’d tweak the tilt on the saddle (leaving fore/aft adjustment alone), and maybe ask the shop if they have a few stem options you could try. If it’s slightly too far forward or too low, I’d switch out for a 10mm shorter stem, either with a slight rise, or if you have a spare spacer above the stem, tucking that in underneath.

It sounds like you may be putting too much weight on your wrists before your core is ready to support more of it. There’s also an outside chance that the bar is much too wide or too narrow, but you’d likely be complaining about more than just hand/wrist issues in that case.
Old 07-27-23, 09:51 AM
Mojo31
-------

I think you’re probably right, but thicker bar tape with gel padding underneath can’t hurt, right?

My neck pain is getting less with each ride. Hands fell asleep less on yesterday’s 46 miler. Might just be a matter of using muscles I hadn’t used much before.

I will say that changing saddles made a HUGE difference. (To Selle Anatomica X-2)
There is such a thing as too much.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-27-23, 10:05 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Since your hands are falling asleep, my artificial pal recommends: “…adjust your riding position so that you are putting less weight on your hands and wrists. This can be achieved by raising your handlebars or adjusting the angle of your saddle. Additionally, using gloves or grips with gel padding can help to absorb vibrations and reduce pressure on your hands and wrists. It is also important to take breaks and stretch your hands and arms periodically during longer rides. If the problem persists, it may be advisable to consult a healthcare professional to rule out any underlying conditions that may be causing the issue”

I was having an issue with my left hand getting painful. I raised my bar height, strengthen my core so I am not putting so much pressure on my hands, and double wrapped my bars - using Cinelli cork tape. No issues now. Good luck

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-27-23, 11:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Since your hands are falling asleep, my artificial pal recommends: “…adjust your riding position so that you are putting less weight on your hands and wrists. This can be achieved by raising your handlebars or adjusting the angle of your saddle. Additionally, using gloves or grips with gel padding can help to absorb vibrations and reduce pressure on your hands and wrists. It is also important to take breaks and stretch your hands and arms periodically during longer rides. If the problem persists, it may be advisable to consult a healthcare professional to rule out any underlying conditions that may be causing the issue”

I was having an issue with my left hand getting painful. I raised my bar height, strengthen my core so I am not putting so much pressure on my hands, and double wrapped my bars - using Cinelli cork tape. No issues now. Good luck
Not to quibble with the artificial pal, but instead of that I'd say, "Figure out why you're putting so much weight on your hands", because it could be saddle fore/aft, bar height too HIGH, bar too far away, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-27-23, 12:24 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Originally Posted by Mojo31
There is such a thing as too much.
I have some 5 mm thick bar tape and gel pads at home waiting for me to get the nerve to install them. (gonna look up how to do it on YouTube University soon)
Old 07-27-23, 12:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I have some 5 mm thick bar tape and gel pads at home waiting for me to get the nerve to install them. (gonna look up how to do it on YouTube University soon)
My brother is a retired Industrial Engineer, specializing in Ergonomics and Human Factors. He told me once that padding, if it's too thick, can sometimes cause more problems, because you grip harder.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-27-23, 12:54 PM
Mojo31
-------

Watch this - easy peasy:

Likes For Mojo31:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.