Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Opening KMC missing link?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 08:20 PM
vulture

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Giant Anthem, Comotion Road, Monster Fat MTB, Davidson Impulse, Moulton Fuso, Veloce by Stinsmen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am I a dunce or is there some secret to opening a KMC chain with a so called "missing link" or whatever?
This is theoretically an 8 speed chain and probably one of the lower end chains. Has not really been used but I'm changing drive trains and thought it was supposed to be easy to open like the Wippermann chains. Does anyone have the secret to opening them or are they just meant to be an easy way to connect the chain and not really meant to be easy off and easy on. I talked to a mechanic at REI who says he hasn't figured out how to open them either and just uses a chain tool. Any help?
Thanks
Old 12-02-07, 08:29 PM
Mark S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think we've been through this on a previous thread. However, I did purchase a KMC "missing link" recently, only to notice after I had installed that the packet said that the link couldn't be opened, or words to that effect.

Regards, Mark.
Old 12-02-07, 09:14 PM
dr.raleigh
I like bikes

Bikes: Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my chain tool to push out a pin, and when I'm done I push it back in.
Old 12-02-07, 09:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I am on my second Nashbar/KMC 8speed looong chain on my recumbent. The narrow, Z chain that is supposed to be ".. a snap" to open. Couldn't do it until I got a Park master link tool. Never a problem with SRAM links but the price of the KMC chains is irresistible.
Old 12-02-07, 09:34 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
FWIW, the newest KMC chain I own is a nine speed model, the "Nashbar nine speed chain by KMC." It comes with what is listed by Nashbar as a re-usable link. It looks virtually identical to a SRAM Power Link, and just like with SRAM links (8 or 9 speed) I've had absolutely no trouble removing or installing it, it can be easily done in a few seconds every time, by hand. I think there must be more than one type of "re-usable" KMC connector link out there. Every other KMC chain I've ever owned came with what I would call an old fashioned "master link," and those connectors are clearly not made to be removed by hand.

Last edited by well biked; 12-02-07 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 12:05 AM
vulture

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Giant Anthem, Comotion Road, Monster Fat MTB, Davidson Impulse, Moulton Fuso, Veloce by Stinsmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information.

Thanks for the responses. It is clear that I either have a chain that needs the Park tool to squeeze the link together or it is not made to open easily if at all. Will dig out the chain tool. I will at least assume the KMC chain can have the pin pressed back in, unlike the Shimano's.
Old 12-03-07, 09:21 AM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr.raleigh
I use my chain tool to push out a pin, and when I'm done I push it back in.
That has not been an acceptable method for many years. Was good with 7 and some 8 speed systems back in the day.
Old 12-03-07, 09:28 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
I've noticed that a light file pass on the inside 'snap' surface of the KMC links will make them hand-detachable like the SRAM links.
(who runs a couple of both)

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 12-03-07, 10:12 AM
jemoryl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe the older KMC missing links are harder to remove than the more recent ones - the design has been changed slightly.
Old 12-03-07, 10:46 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Pinch the chain with your left hand so that just the removanle link is isolated. Squeeze both ends of the isolated rollers with needlenose pliers and the link pops open.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 12-03-07, 11:10 AM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use needle nose pliers to squeeze the two halves of the link in opposing directions. Works all the time... I even do this with the master links on SRAM 10-speed chains, which are not supposed to be removable or reusable.
Old 12-03-07, 11:18 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
I think there must be more than one type of "re-usable" KMC connector link out there. Every other KMC chain I've ever owned came with what I would call an old fashioned "master link," and those connectors are clearly not made to be removed by hand.
I've been wondering about this too. One of my bikes came with a 10sp KMC DX10, which had an easily removable link. When that chain was worn out, I replaced it with another DX10. This time the link was nearly impossible to remove. I finally managed it with a pair of needlenose pliers, and then replaced it with a Wipperman link for the remainder of its life. I don't remember the online vendor I ordered it from, but I do remember the product description saying something about the chain coming with a "one time use" master link. I dismissed it based on my previous experience with that model, and figured they were just confusing it with some other chain, but I was apparently wrong. So either KMC has two different links that they freely intermingle in the same model, or their quality control for the Missing Link connectors is really really bad, and some of them just fit together way too tightly.
Old 12-03-07, 11:20 PM
vulture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting!

I tried the needle nose pliers, as it seems the Park tool is basically a pair of pliers designed to hook the links, but that did not work so my conclusion is that this is one of the 8/9 speed chains that is not made to be unlinked with this link. What puzzles me then is the remark that these chains are not meant to have a pin pushed out and reinserted. I cannot find anyone who sells pins for the KMC chains like Shimano so either you must use a Shimano pin then or use some other external connecting link like the Wippermann or SRAM, is that correct? Times have changed I know but time was the only way to break a chain was to punch out a pin until you could unlink and then reinsert the link. What's the experience out there on doing this to a KMC chain, purportedly 8 speed?
Old 12-04-07, 04:10 AM
Albert '55
Wrong Side Of 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Pinch the chain with your left hand so that just the removanle link is isolated. Squeeze both ends of the isolated rollers with needlenose pliers and the link pops open.
In true BF jargon, +1 on the needle nose pliers trick.
I've reused the missing links 5 or 6 times. Although this is contrary to manufacturers instructions
Old 12-04-07, 10:35 AM
DPN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There does seem to be an awful lot of confusion on whether these links are "one time use only" or reuseable...

I was looking for a link to allow me to quickly remove my Shimano 10 speed ultra narrow (5.88mm) chain for cleaning.

The KMC web site shows this link https://www.kmcchain.com.tw/index.php...o=view&id=1051
which is for a Reusable MissingLink 1/2" × 11/128.

I could never find the CL559S link in the US, and would up buying 2 from England...I assume the CL559S stand for Chain Link, 5.59mm, Shimano...

FWIW....

DPN
Old 12-04-07, 10:37 AM
BearSquirrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In general, I've noticed that it is difficult to remove and affix masterlinks on dirty chains. In all cases, you should consider cleaning the chain first with a chain machine. It's not a bad thing to do anyway as you'll get less muck on your hands.
Old 12-04-07, 04:26 PM
dvs cycles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BearSquirrel
In general, I've noticed that it is difficult to remove and affix masterlinks on dirty chains. In all cases, you should consider cleaning the chain first with a chain machine. It's not a bad thing to do anyway as you'll get less muck on your hands.
That would seem to defeat the purpose for which most people use a link.
Personally I use the Shimano pin, clean it with a machine and leave it on the bike untill time to replace.
Old 12-04-07, 06:40 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I've tried the needlenose pliers quite a few times. Maybe I'm just a moron, but I can never get it to work.
Old 12-10-07, 10:08 AM
BearSquirrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvs cycles
That would seem to defeat the purpose for which most people use a link.
Personally I use the Shimano pin, clean it with a machine and leave it on the bike untill time to replace.
Ooooohhh, the irony. Then again, nothing says you can take a pass with a chain machine then move the chain to a 2L bottle where you claim it is more efficient.

Actually, I remove my chain when I'm doing crank maintenance and appreciate not having to push pins. I know damn sure that singlespeed riders remove their chains a LOT!!!!
Old 12-10-07, 10:47 AM
dvs cycles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BearSquirrel
Ooooohhh, the irony. Then again, nothing says you can take a pass with a chain machine then move the chain to a 2L bottle where you claim it is more efficient.

Actually, I remove my chain when I'm doing crank maintenance and appreciate not having to push pins. I know damn sure that singlespeed riders remove their chains a LOT!!!!
Where did I ever say 2l bottle is more efficient?? Though my machine method may not be the totally sterile clean some more anal types here strive to achieve, it gets it clean enough. I get 4000+ miles from DA-10 chains before they reach the 75% mark on my Park chain gauge. I go through 2 to 3 chains a year depending on my miles.
I have many friends that use some sort of link but I just prefer to use my chain like Shimano designed it.
As for single speeds, They don't have the twisting forces created from shifting to worry about.
How often do you HAVE to do crank maintainance? I rarely have to touch mine and when I do it usually is time for a new chain anyways. Maybe I don't keep mine shiney all the time but I prefer to ride it more than clean it.
Old 02-09-10, 01:38 PM
lobsterboyuk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a useful link here:

https://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln...o=view&id=1051

Spent a good while getting nowhere in removing my link - once I'd seen the pictures at the bottom of the above linked page I got it off instantly
Old 02-10-10, 07:21 AM
72guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DPN
There does seem to be an awful lot of confusion on whether these links are "one time use only" or reuseable...

I was looking for a link to allow me to quickly remove my Shimano 10 speed ultra narrow (5.88mm) chain for cleaning.

The KMC web site shows this link https://www.kmcchain.com.tw/index.php...o=view&id=1051
which is for a Reusable MissingLink 1/2" × 11/128.

I could never find the CL559S link in the US, and would up buying 2 from England...I assume the CL559S stand for Chain Link, 5.59mm, Shimano...

FWIW....

DPN
CL559S KMC M/L 10S
https://www.ebikestop.com/kmc_missing...ins-CH4057.php
Old 02-10-10, 10:23 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by dvs cycles
That has not been an acceptable method for many years. Was good with 7 and some 8 speed systems back in the day.
Yeah, but I have seen it work with Sram 9 speed chains.
Old 02-10-10, 10:27 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
When a master link is difficult to remove I use a pair of Channel lock pliers to squeeze the link open.
Old 02-10-10, 11:17 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Yeah, but I have seen it work with Sram 9 speed chains.
Work for how long? You can push the pins back in but seeing as how you've ruined the peening that was intended to hold the pin in place, it's only a matter of time before it works itself loose. It's simply not worth the risk to reuse those pins given the consequences of an untimely failure and the availability of cheap quick links.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.