Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting Rocks!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting Rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 08:14 PM
bamacrazy 

Bikes: 05 Specialized Hardrock Pro, 2000 Bianchi Axis, 2015 All City Nature Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting Rocks!

I have dreamed about commuting to work for about 20 years. During that time I
bought four new bikes.I went back to school to earn my masters.I met and married my soul mate. During those 20 years I also increased my weight from 260 to 356. During the last year I have lost over 100 pounds. I have also started commuting to work over the last three weeks. I get up at 4:30 and am ready to roll at 6:00. My morning commutes have been amazing! It is quiet with very little traffic. I am able to start slow and gradually increase my speed as the miles roll by. I am lucky to have a private restroom in my office, so
I'm able to wash after I arrive. i also have a closet large enough to hang my old bike out of sight. When I get to work I have an amazing amount of energy. My coworkers joke that my endorphan level must be off the scale each morning. Every day is an adventure! I can't believe I waited so long to start commuting. I have also dreamed of touring for a long time. I hope I don't drag my feet as long before taking the touring plunge!
Old 04-27-10, 08:58 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree bamacrazy. I just (re)started two days ago. Already, I feel like I have more energy. All day too, not just directly after the ride.

I only gained 15 lbs. when I stopped bike commuting, but I aim to lose that too.

Keep it up!
Old 04-28-10, 05:31 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice story, and a reminder chase the dream instead of just watching life go by. Keep it up and you will soon be touring, starting with short overnighters, and working your way up to your ultimate goal.
Old 04-28-10, 07:21 AM
cycle16v

Bikes: Cannondale, Giant, Specialized

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome MAN! Keep us posted on your progress! I want to hear where you ended up touring!
Old 04-28-10, 07:40 AM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
totally agree, when I bike to work I have amazing energy. I had worried the ride (13 miles) would tire me out, but it's completely the opposite.

One thing I *haven't* achieved through cycling is weight loss. It makes me really hungry, and I respond in kind. Obviously something's working for you, so I'd love to hear any tips you have...