Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

What do you have planned for a winter project?

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

What do you have planned for a winter project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 10:44 PM
Patchupco

Bikes: Peugeot SS conversion, Nashbar SS 29er, Fuji Touring 3, Murray Sebring w/Ape Hangers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice progress everyone! Keep on building...and riding if you don't mind the cold so much.

I've done a little work on my cruiser while also restoring my Fuji Touring 3 to selling condition and then sold it. I also bought an 80's Peugeot 12 speed I just put a little TLC into and I'm gonna sell it in the next week or so. (No pics on this computer but I'll try to add them later if anyone wants)

The cruiser so far has new Thickslick tires, I rebuilt the front hub, repacked the headset, and am currently repacking the 1 piece crank. I want it to look like sh*t but ride smooth as I Can't Believe It's Not Butter™

I have some pictures of that progress but they won't upload for some reason, I'll try again when I get some more progress done but just gotta find some new lock nuts for the front, maybeeeeee repack the Bendix 1 speed coaster hub but I probably won't open that can of worms, and I need to find new pedals and a fitting saddle.
Old 01-22-18, 09:37 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
scored two sets of not quite ordinary wheels. one new project started already.

a local walmart donated two bikes to the co-op with damaged frames so the co-op sold the wheels on their own. a set of fat bike wheels and a set of 29x3 wheels. since they know me they let me pick through the other parts they took off the bikes, but I just took the fat bike frame (and now kicking myself. hoping the other frame will still be there next week. I can use the front end I think).

started the beginnings of a fat stretch the day I got them. the 29x3's will have to wait for inspiration.
Old 01-22-18, 10:36 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
scored two sets of not quite ordinary wheels. one new project started already.

a local walmart donated two bikes to the co-op with damaged frames so the co-op sold the wheels on their own. a set of fat bike wheels and a set of 29x3 wheels. since they know me they let me pick through the other parts they took off the bikes, but I just took the fat bike frame (and now kicking myself. hoping the other frame will still be there next week. I can use the front end I think).

started the beginnings of a fat stretch the day I got them. the 29x3's will have to wait for inspiration.
Awesome find. I can think of lots of inspiration for those 29x3s.
Old 02-09-18, 05:26 PM
chriskoz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the old Specialized Cross Trail may need to make a resurgence. Maybe turn it into a beach cruiser?
Old 02-11-18, 09:31 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
1974 Raysport Turismo w/DIY RustOleum paint job:

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 02-11-18, 10:36 PM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DQ, that is a very clean Ray sport, nice job.

Are the front lugs chrome, and is that original paint ?

My winter project has been posted as "The Viking" rides."
That bike has some sentimental value for a friend and customer whose brother road it for years
before he passed.

I am sure he will be glad when he sees it fixed and riding again.

It will also do a fine job of replacing the Specilized flat bar road bike i had, that melted in last years fire.

bkentr
Old 02-12-18, 08:27 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by bkentr
DQ, that is a very clean Ray sport, nice job.

Are the front lugs chrome, and is that original paint ?

My winter project has been posted as "The Viking" rides."
That bike has some sentimental value for a friend and customer whose brother road it for years
before he passed.

I am sure he will be glad when he sees it fixed and riding again.

It will also do a fine job of replacing the Specilized flat bar road bike i had, that melted in last years fire.

bkentr
This is what I started with:

The entire 531 frame is chromed, but only the front lugs and "stockings" are polished. I soda-blasted the frameset and painted it in my garage with RustOleum 2x sage green and creme over a base coat of etch primer.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 02-12-18, 10:21 AM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find the overall look to be well done. Better than new. My description would be "Quality with a Subtle Flash"

i have wondered about how the "lugs and stockings" chrome was done for a while.
Makes sense now, and i had guessed that is what it took.

Also asked because considering finishing the old Viking that way. Different color, but chrome or silver lugs.
It's old enough to have Nervex lugs, but not old enough to be really valuable.

The cost of chroming the frame set might be a lot more than the worth of the finished bike though.
By settling for a solid dark paint, and gold pinstriping around the lugs, I will be able to complete the work
here at home for a few dollars.

thanks for your reply. bkentr