Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Tire replacement. Even the best laid plans...

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 03:34 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts

So, after intensive research and some input from this forum, I ordered the Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26 X 4.0 Snakeskin for my bike. I checked the measurements to make sure old and new tires are 100 X 559. They arrived, I installed the rear wheel first. I wanted to try them with tubes before going tubeless. Mounted the wheel, gave it a spin and the knobs were hitting the chain stays. Maybe I did not center the wheel or the tire. Checked everything and still the knobs were hitting the chain stays.
Took out the calipers and measured the tire width. The old tires were 92mm and the Jims were 98mm, also the knobs were more pronounced.
Luckily, the place I ordered them from has a good return policy, but still.....
I started to look at all the tire manufacturers and all their 26X4.0 tires were 98mm or wider.
I went to 26X3.8 (Surly) and still 98mm or wider

So, it looks like I will have to stay with the original brand. Where for the last 3 weeks they punctured every outing.

Now, for my question. Seeing as I have to stick with inner tubes; can those puncture repair aerosol cans be used for preventative measures? Meaning, Can I use those fill to my tube and it will offer me some protection against air loss?
Also, is there some sort of puncture protection I can provide between the tire and the tube for fat bike size? I know they used to offer kevlar belts for road bikes
Thanks