Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

BionX throttle won't work but the assist levels do

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 05:02 PM
DebGem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Rans Stratus XP with a BionX, that after being on the car rack, has a malfunctioning throttle. On a previous ride it was functional. I have reconnected each of the wires and jiggled the connections, but to no avail. Is there a quick and easy solution to why this may be happenning? Or do I really need to get it to the shop. It is still under warranty.

I saw a post that suggested " If the throttle stops working, push on "Mode" and "G" at the same time. This will initiate a countdown from 9 to 1; during the countdown, push the throttle on. After the countdown is over, release the throttle. The display will now show a "G" setting; push on "A" until the setting is "0" or a positive number. The throttle will now be reset. Push "Mode" to shut down and save your settings."

Am I foolish to attempt this? Advice appreciated by new owner who is a non techie.
Old 06-09-11, 04:59 AM
ezbikin

Bikes: RANS V2, Screamer tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The procedure sounds like what I did when I had a problem, but my unit is the old I2C system. Unfortunately Bionx doesn't give you much in the way of trouble-shooting info in the manual. The problem could be mechanical, that is, in the way the throttle is secured to the rear of the console. Given that you are under warranty, I'd always contact the dealer first. They may be able to take care of it by giving you instructions over the phone.
Old 06-14-11, 06:39 PM
jcpro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DebGem
I have a Rans Stratus XP with a BionX, that after being on the car rack, has a malfunctioning throttle. On a previous ride it was functional. I have reconnected each of the wires and jiggled the connections, but to no avail. Is there a quick and easy solution to why this may be happenning? Or do I really need to get it to the shop. It is still under warranty.

I saw a post that suggested " If the throttle stops working, push on "Mode" and "G" at the same time. This will initiate a countdown from 9 to 1; during the countdown, push the throttle on. After the countdown is over, release the throttle. The display will now show a "G" setting; push on "A" until the setting is "0" or a positive number. The throttle will now be reset. Push "Mode" to shut down and save your settings."

Am I foolish to attempt this? Advice appreciated by new owner who is a non techie.
During countdown press and realease the throtle. That's it. Don't have to wait for the end. That's right out of the manual. I did this on my PL350. Works like a charm.
Old 08-28-11, 03:13 PM
leftend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah DebGem, et al that follow........

I just had the same issue last week..... I had Pedal assist, and Regen braking, but no throttle with the Gen2 controller........and this is indeed the cure.... as shown to me by my local vendor....... after a 140 mile roundtrip!!!....... so simple, but so elusive..........

Sadly the BionX 'manual'?? or 'installation sheets'..... don't seem to address this, and only barely cover the basics of the Gen2 controller.......
which has proven a bit finicky so far, but with persistence seems G2 finally does what you want to it do........mine seems reluctant to turn off, but with repeated button pushing finally will.........
maybe I'm doing something wrong???

Nor do any the troubleshooting tables that I could find on the BionX web site.........address the 'throttle reset', ..........
despite the quality of the BionX components, the documentation is minimal at best, eh Ken.......... a good comprehensive 'online manual' would certainly be an asset with this PL350 system........ which I far as I can see is top of the line, but true to most Asian sourced hardware, usually comes with bare minimum of documentation........

Still, with my experience in radio controlled, model electric powered systems....... the folks at BionX have assembled a quality package......... with the brushless hub motors and Li batteries....... but in both the controller and charging unit, documentation/instructions details seem sorely lacking.......

That may be a challenge for the distributors 'Its electric'/ca or 'Power Motion'/ca...... to keep up with the ever changing components...... most of the info I located online is Gen1 controller instructions.... which is similar to Gen2 controller but different layout for sure........ and still Gen1 docs seems a bit minimal........

I also noticed this in shopping for a system......... components are changing so fast, and system compatibilities are not fully addressed......
viz the newer higher powered batteries are not compatible with the older 'Sin drive' 350 motors.... due to the motor windings of last years motors....... so the 42V 10AH Li batt are not available for the rear rack system, nor is the newer white 'XXX' motor that I saw last week compatible ??? ........

I understand this may be partially a fault on the part of our local vendor...... but I find even less info seems to be on Bionx website.......
most of the instruction sheets I received from my local vendor, after the install......... don't seem to appear on the Bionx web site,
And there seemed to be several kit options in the vendor pamphlet that I don't see on the website.......... maybe just me, but I expect more info online than in local hardcopy......

Guess that why these forums start up...... and seem to become the real sources of knowledge, from first hand user experience..... and I hope Ken is reading these discussions and going back home to update their web site.......
Must say though it is much the same in the RC electric airplanes scene, you want more info than the distributors supply, get on the forums........ just have to find the right forums with the right contributors.......... hopefully I'm there now..........

But can't PM until I got 50 posts..... whew that is stiff.... you get that much spam**********?
later
Old 08-28-11, 03:37 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by leftend
But can't PM until I got 50 posts..... whew that is stiff.... you get that much spam**********?
later
We had an issue once with spam PMs that was a serious PITA. Never again. Sorry, but it was a lesson learned that the staff doesn't want to repeat.
Old 10-03-11, 07:23 AM
happyJohnrn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the same throttle issue, along with several others. However this one is a simple fix. Tighten the screw holding the throttle. It comes lose with riding. Another engineering problem with Bionx.
Old 11-04-11, 04:46 PM
leftend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey John.......
similar issue but stuck in regen braking..... or at least could only select that mode.......

haven't notice the throttle getting loose on the bars... but on the vendors demo machine....... the brake sensor that detects the engaging of the hand brake lever on the bars did slip on me, on a second demo ride... while I was out tooling around... so no peddle assist or throttle mode...... only regen braking...
So I had to turn off the electric system, and pedal back to the shop.......

Turned out there is a magnetic sensor pin ......below the brake lever that had slipped back inward... toward the center of the bars.... which caused the sensor to think the brakes where engaged, and disabled the peddle assist mode....... and which made it want to be in regen braking mode only....

The necessary fix was to slide the senor pin back out under the brake lever magnet so the sensor detected it...... and sensed the hand brake was not engaged..... there is a small button shaped magnet on the under side of the brakelever.... which sits over a (plastic tubing housed) sensor that projects from the lever bracket, with a cable connected to it leading to.... ?? various connections possible from there.....in part to the controller it seems......
As I recall the sensor was just a metal pin on the vendors older model.... mine has a black plastic tubing enclosing it.... that is mounted in a foam block on the underside of the brake lever bracket.......

the sensor had slipped back in it holder, a foam block on my machine........and merely needed to be slid back outward an 1/8" to be under the button magnet when the brake lever was at rest.....

Hope that made sense..... a couple pictures would likely help.... just engage the brake lever and look for the small plastic tube projecting just below the lever gap on the right hand brake lever.........
Haven't had that issue on my personal machine, but the controller mount is a bit spongy and prone to sliding along the bar.... and in time the brake sensor is likely to do the same, and thus will only be able to select regen braking...... until slide that little sensor back out under the brake lever button magnet....

Another issue that should be in the manual...... that in time most may encounter.......
later

Last edited by leftend; 11-04-11 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-26-18, 03:20 PM
bikehighway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fix bionx pedal assistance does not work

I have the opposite problem. the throttle works, but pedal assist does not - anyone have a solution?