Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Confused about wetestlights.com test results: Niterider Solas 150

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 05:39 PM
aerohorst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a daylight tail / rear light. I live in Europe so the isn't available but the Niterider Solas 150 seems to have a similarly good reputation on this forum and that is available here.

I compared the two lights I mentioned above and the Niterider Solas 40 here:
* ...com/test.php?l=201&n=Hotshot%20Pro%20150
* ...com/test.php?l=282&n=Solas%20150
* ....com/test.php?l=93&n=Solas%2040
NOTE: I have not fully written out the URL because I am only allowed to post URLs when I have 10 posts... You just have to use the URL in the title and then merge it with the three half-URLs I posted

Summary of the results: Roughly, The Hotshot puts out 70% more lumens at 30% less battery life compared to the Solas 40. The Solas 150 has not advantage over the Solas 40.

What I am confused about is that the Solar 150 does not produce more Lumens than the Solas 40. Are the measurements wrong (or done on the wrong mode)? Or could this be explained by the Solas 150 possibly only putting out significantly more Lumens than the Solas 40 when it flashes (while the test may have been done in constant mode)?

Any any case I am

Last edited by aerohorst; 04-16-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 02:03 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aerohorst
I am looking to buy a daylight tail / rear light. I live in Europe so the X isn't available but the Niterider Solas 150 seems to have a similarly good reputation on this forum and that is available here.

I compared the two lights I mentioned above and the Niterider Solas 40 here:
Summary of the results: Roughly, The Hotshot puts out 70% more lumens at 30% less battery life compared to the Solas 40. The Solas 150 has not advantage over the Solas 40.

Or could this be explained by the Solas 150 possibly only putting out significantly more Lumens than the Solas 40 when it flashes (while the test may have been done in constant mode)?
The flashing brightness often is higher than the lumen output on constant mode with highest brightnes level.

But all the three tail lights you'd name have the similar disadvantage: very small beam angle (<90°). So for city or urban areas it's not safe. Also the blinding of following drivers can be to high during nighttime.
Better get a Cateye Rapid X3 or some other >180° beam angle taillight.
cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/TL-LD720-R/

Last edited by angerdan; 04-18-18 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 12:27 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Solas 150 has a much wider beam than Hotshot 80(I'm guessing similar to the current 150).
47 second mark of my comparo; you can clearly see the Solas 150 from the side - Hotshot almost gone:
Old 04-19-18, 03:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nite Rider is out of California , they gave me very good customer service,

a bolt out of a mount went missing, they had discontinued that one, so sent a whole new one from current production..
Old 04-21-18, 11:04 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan
The flashing brightness often is higher than the lumen output on constant mode with highest brightnes level.

But all the three tail lights you'd name have the similar disadvantage: very small beam angle (<90°). So for city or urban areas it's not safe. Also the blinding of following drivers can be to high during nighttime.
Better get a Cateye Rapid X3 or some other >180° beam angle taillight.
cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/TL-LD720-R/
I have to disagree. While a light like the Solas 150 or the Hotshot 150 might be more narrow, they are not super narrow. I use the Hotshot 150 and when in use it also is visible from the sides. Perhaps not as much as others like the Cateye Rapid X3 but not everyone feels they need that much light to the sides coming from their rear light. I've seen the X3 in action and yes they are very conspicuous from the sides. However they are not as conspicuous as a Hotshot when at distance from the rear. Personally I prefer a brighter more intense light to the rear. I'm not worried about side brightness. I have the 3M spoke reflectors and wheel lights so I already know I'm conspicuous from the sides. Yes, the Hotshot might be too bright for heavy night time urban traffic but in that setting you can use the steady mode and adjust the brightness to suit. One of the flash modes on the Hotshot is not as bright as the other flash modes so they are not to be totally written off for urban use.

Last night while driving I happened upon a cyclist using a very bright rear lamp. Don't know what brand he had but it had a unique flash pattern that I really liked so I know it wasn't a Hotshot 150. It was at least as bright as my Hotshot 150 though, might have been a Solas 150 (?). The reason I mention this is because I saw the light "first" before I knew it was a cyclist ( I was in two lane traffic and had cars in front of me ). When I saw the light I just thought, "What the **** is that"? Moments later I realized it was a cyclist.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 04-21-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 01:15 AM
aerohorst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anyone compare the Solas 40 with the Solas 150? I am not sure whether I should upgrade (goal: safety). Context: See my origional post (beginning of thread)
Old 04-23-18, 07:42 AM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My answer did especially set the safety aspect into context - did you understand the difference between lumen output and distribution/beam angle/luminance?
You can also take a look at the Orfos FlarePro, which offers even grater runtime.
Old 04-25-18, 08:11 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by aerohorst
Did anyone compare the Solas 40 with the Solas 150? I am not sure whether I should upgrade (goal: safety). Context: See my origional post (beginning of thread)
I made a comparison of the Solas 150 against 8 other lights; post #3. None of them are a Solas 40.
Meet me in NYC; or send your Solas 40 to me. I'll take side by side photos/videos.
Old 04-30-18, 12:02 AM
aerohorst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I made a comparison of the Solas 150 against 8 other lights; post #3. None of them are a Solas 40.
Meet me in NYC; or send your Solas 40 to me. I'll take side by side photos/videos. [YOUR VIDEO WHICH I CAN NOT REPOST BECAUSE I AM NOT ALLOWED TO POST LINKS WITH 10 POSTS OR BELOW]
I life in Europe which makes sending it to you less viable. But thanks for the offer and for your video (I have watched it before). Anyone else who has a Solas 40? I would sponsor the postage to send it to 1nterceptor for a test.
Old 04-30-18, 02:29 PM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't see the use for such narrow beam lights - they are only useful in the wilderness and long outback streets.
In urban areas, cateye lights with COB leds and beam angles greater than 90° are more useful.
Old 05-03-18, 04:51 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't see the use for such narrow beam lights - they are only useful in the wilderness and long outback streets.
In urban areas, cateye lights with COB leds and beam angles greater than 90° are more useful.
I noticed the other day that Serfas sells a COB version called UTLA-8 Orion Blast ( 150 lumen ). $90....I like that it gives an audible warning when the battery is down to the last ten minutes. Only saw one video. Hard to tell just how bright it is when looking at the light from the sides. The video really didn't show it from the sides. I like the Serfas TST-150 Spectra 150. Doesn't have the audible warning on that model though. The Spectra is very similar to the earlier model that I was using before I bought the Hotshot 150. The newer Spectra model is brighter and also incorporates some mini leds for side illumination. I'm tempted to buy one. More modes than the earlier model as well. The original TL60 Shield was damn bright. Almost as bright as the Hotshot 150.
Old 05-03-18, 06:14 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe in Europe where drivers routinely expect there to be cyclists in urban areas. But in many US cities they are uncommon and it's useful to let drivers know of your presence well in advance, especially if you'll be hidden by other traffic much of the time. OTOH, drivers coming from the side only need to notice me from much closer range since I'll quickly be out of their way.
Old 05-03-18, 11:23 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Solas 150 has a much wider beam than Hotshot 80(I'm guessing similar to the current 150).
47 second mark of my comparo; you can clearly see the Solas 150 from the side - Hotshot almost gone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMy1...IoDLA&index=11
Assuming you already knew you were fairly visible from the sides which lamp would you feel better using and why, the Hotshot 150 or the Solas 150? Which in your opinion was better when viewed from the rear?