Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Most useful addons/upgrades?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 05-02-18, 11:09 AM
Raiderbob

Bikes: 2018 Electra Cruiser 7d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We initially purchased our Cruisers to use while camping but would like to use them more often. I'm already considering a rack for the back of mine (hauling firewood, etc as needed) but was curious what other add-ons you felt were the most useful?

thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-18, 07:44 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Cup holder...
I have a pair of Cruisers that I ride on the Beach in Daytona and New Smyrna Beach. The beverage holder is the most useful accessory for me. A rack or basket would be a close second.
Old 05-03-18, 08:33 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
a bottle holder, which i usually put a gatorade in. they make one shaped like a bike water bottle the dollar place sells for a buck each. i get a clamp on one for my handlebar, or make something for the backrest i usually have on most of my bikes.

a bike lock that has the clip like thing that lets you keep it with the bike

lately a motorcycle type swing arm bag. not sure how much abuse they'd take on a motorcycle (vinyl), but amazon (and ebay) sell a pretty nice one that i get for bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Motor...ingarm+bag+red

both places sell this same bag (and a slightly smaller version also). same company, they're out of black and brown at the time, but they sell those colors too.

a rear view mirror. i don't ride at night much so i get lights if i find something i like, but i always try to find a mirror.

Last edited by Philphine; 05-03-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 10:50 AM
Raiderbob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbf909
Cup holder...
I have a pair of Cruisers that I ride on the Beach in Daytona and New Smyrna Beach. The beverage holder is the most useful accessory for me. A rack or basket would be a close second.
Completely agree! That was our first accessory and is a must have.

Originally Posted by brianhamp
You will need one of these,,,
had to remove the url as I dont have 10 posts yet. I will be sure to send this on to a few friends who will definitely be interested in this! thank you!

Originally Posted by Philphine
a bottle holder, which i usually put a gatorade in. they make one shaped like a bike water bottle the dollar place sells for a buck each. i get a clamp on one for my handlebar, or make something for the backrest i usually have on most of my bikes.

a bike lock that has the clip like thing that lets you keep it with the bike

lately a motorcycle type swing arm bag. not sure how much abuse they'd take on a motorcycle (vinyl), but amazon (and ebay) sell a pretty nice one that i get for bikes.

both places sell this same bag (and a slightly smaller version also). same company, they're out of black and brown at the time, but they sell those colors too.

a rear view mirror. i don't ride at night much so i get lights if i find something i like, but i always try to find a mirror.
I have looked at mirrors but wasn't sure how'd they'd look on the bike. Will look into them more. thanks!

thanks for the replies all..keep them coming!
Old 05-03-18, 03:53 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Good lights, don't cheap out, especially riding in the woods. At least a one watt light with a good battery, incase you need use it for more than a hearlight. Also tires; some sort of offroad tire, possibly even on a seperate wheelset, incase you use the bikes for more than camping.
Old 05-05-18, 06:32 PM
number1bike

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity 1975, Mongoose Threshold 1995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Lists of musts that I added to my Cruiser.

rear rack
rear light
front light
tool bag / spare tube / multi-tool to remove wheels
bell
water bottle holder
lock
front brake

Different list for useful upgrades.
Old 05-06-18, 07:42 PM
Raiderbob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Good lights, don't cheap out, especially riding in the woods. At least a one watt light with a good battery, incase you need use it for more than a hearlight. Also tires; some sort of offroad tire, possibly even on a seperate wheelset, incase you use the bikes for more than camping.
good tip on the lights. very useful camping
Old 05-08-18, 08:42 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiderbob

I have looked at mirrors but wasn't sure how'd they'd look on the bike. Will look into them more. thanks!
couldn't find one on ebay, but zefal makes a bar end with a flashing light on the back (facing forward). i don't think they make them any more, but they pop up on ebay sometimes. if you need the light to see it won't work for that, but as a combined accessory to not have too many things on the bike they're nice.
Old 05-08-18, 10:08 AM
Raiderbob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing we found we will need going forward is a bike beam so our bikes can work with the hitch mount we have.