Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Advice on Crown Mount for Light w/Cantilever Breaks

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Advice on Crown Mount for Light w/Cantilever Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 09:40 AM
eepok

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Advice on Crown Mount for Light w/Cantilever Brakes

Hello all,

I originally set up my dynamo hub/light system to be handlebar mounted, but I quickly learned that the handlebar mount from B&M had an odd geometry for my stem. I got a bar extender, but that never really mounted right either. Additionally, I don't like how all the wiring felt so sloppy making its way up the fork, headset, handlebars, and extender.

Current Hardware
  • B&M Luxos U
  • Schmidt Son28 Hub
  • Wires with very annoying space connectors
I didn't go with the standard crown mount because this is my cantilever setup: https://imgur.com/a/1CpN4W7
Here's the Luxos U mounted to a fork crown: https://www.rosebikes.com/media/prod...805_2.9b25.jpg

That seems like it would work, but the mount itself hits my crown race AND my crown bolt is too short to add anything more than a sheet of paper to it.

My question: Who has been in a similar situation? What did you do to make it work? Is there a pre-fabbed gadget/bracket/mount that you think has the right dimensions for my situation?

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by eepok; 05-07-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-07-18, 10:41 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
There are mounts that go under the straddle cable.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-07-18, 11:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I am using a V brake and the light mount that I have in the photo was modified by me (I have a large vice, big wrench, big hammer, easily modified), so you won't find another light bracket like I have.

But I am showing the photo because instead of using a long bolt in my fork crown, I used a piece of M6 threaded rod and several nuts and washers. One of the nuts was taken from a brake pad so that I could use an allen wrench on that nut. I think I got the threaded M6 rod at a True Value hardware store. If your hardware store does not have metric threaded rod, quarter inch might work. But I like to use 100 percent metric on bikes so that I only need one set of tools.

The standard mount for the Luxos U is wire and I have seen photos of people wiring it so that the cantilever brake cable goes up through the mount. I was sure that Peter White had a photo of that on his website, but I just spent some time looking for the photo and I could not find it. I did a google search and found this link with a photo:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19322918-post8.html

I think that is all you need.

Old 05-08-18, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am using a V brake and the light mount that I have in the photo was modified by me (I have a large vice, big wrench, big hammer, easily modified), so you won't find another light bracket like I have.
I've got something similar, although I haven't get the curve upward at the front. I simply took the long wire mount, put it in a vice, and leaned on it with some lineman's pliers. IIRC I went with the long screw that was in my garage, probably 1/4"x20 or so.
Old 05-08-18, 09:38 PM
eepok

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

But I am showing the photo because instead of using a long bolt in my fork crown, I used a piece of M6 threaded rod and several nuts and washers. One of the nuts was taken from a brake pad so that I could use an allen wrench on that nut. I think I got the threaded M6 rod at a True Value hardware store. If your hardware store does not have metric threaded rod, quarter inch might work. But I like to use 100 percent metric on bikes so that I only need one set of tools.

The standard mount for the Luxos U is wire and I have seen photos of people wiring it so that the cantilever brake cable goes up through the mount. I was sure that Peter White had a photo of that on his website, but I just spent some time looking for the photo and I could not find it. I did a google search and found this link with a photo:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19322918-post8.html

I think that is all you need.

Thank you. I think this is what I needed to see. The long threaded rod with a series of nuts will provide all the spacing I need to keep the fenders mounted while getting the stock mount out of the way of the crown race.
Old 05-09-18, 09:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by eepok
Thank you. I think this is what I needed to see. The long threaded rod with a series of nuts will provide all the spacing I need to keep the fenders mounted while getting the stock mount out of the way of the crown race.
You are welcome, glad to help.
Old 05-12-18, 09:45 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

bumm.de/en/products/mehr/produkt/474du.html?
bumm.de/en/products/mehr/produkt/475du.html?