Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ancheer DYU1 wheel locked

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 06:33 PM
Khrysse77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased this ebike to get around on campus. Within a week it had a flat tire (back hi). I purchased a new inner tire and changed it, being careful not to damage anything. While trying to reassemble I notice the wheel no longer spins by hand or power. It is locked. The app diagnosis test shows everything is fine. Does anyone have any idea what I've done wrong or am missing?
Old 03-16-18, 07:21 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
You might just have forgotten a washer when you put the wheel back on.

Some hub motors will jam against the frame unless there is a spacer on the axles between the housing and the frame.
Old 03-17-18, 12:48 AM
Khrysse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks to be properly assembled. It won't spin freely on axle, off the frame either. I'm at a total loss.
Old 03-17-18, 05:24 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't tell you what you have done wrong because I don't know what you have done. Something is missing.

Disconnect ALL wires from motor and test spin. That is a DD hub and there is very little to go wrong internally.

Are you describing that the motor is very stiff, and very resistant to turning, or are you saying that with the axle securely clamped and applying your full weight to the outside of the wheel results in absolutely no movement at all?

Describe in detail what happened when the tire went flat. Did the wheel lockup at that time? Did it spin freely until you messed with it? Was there some severe impact at the time of the flat?
Old 03-17-18, 07:54 AM
Doc_Wui

If it is a direct drive hub, a short circuit either in the motor cable or in the controller that drives the motor will make it very hard to turn the wheel. Your best bet is to use the warranty if you only had it a week.
Old 03-17-18, 08:32 PM
Khrysse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was fine until I changed the tire. After changing the tire, and reassembling is when I noticed the tire no longer spins. It will rotate a very tiny bit if I apply all my force, but I believe it is simply shifting in the dropout rather than spinning on axle. It seems like it is frozen as it moves maybe a half inch in either direction, nothing more. Self check on app says everything is fine, so I'm not sure I trust that at all. The tire definitely was spinning before the tire change, and I have disassembled to be sure I didn't do something off. There was nothing to note about the flat, the inner tube was very worn, but there was no bump or trama.

Last edited by Khrysse77; 03-17-18 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 04:32 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, well, it worked BEFORE you messed with it, and does not work AFTER you messed with it, this is amazingly common, and usually means that you have effed up in some as yet undefined way. Were you EXCEPTIONALLY careful not to damage the wires exiting from the motor? Failure to do so is quite common among newbs, and could very well be the cause of the current problem. Hence the following test:

Now, note that this is a REPEAT, meaning the SECOND TIME I have said it, DISCONNECT ALL WIRES FROM THE MOTOR. "ALL" in this context means every single one, no exceptions. If there is need to repeat this a third time, I will find something else more productive to do with my time.

You mention that the tube is very worn. You just bought it a week ago, did you buy it used? I've changed a bunch of tubes, don't think I've ever seen one that was "very worn", aside from multiple patches. Elaborate on this point, as it could be important.

If the wheel does not rotate freely with all wires disconnected, you are looking at a mechanical jam internal to the wheel, likely a broken magnet jammed against the axle or similar, requiring disassembly and/or warranty repair. Do you live anywhere close to China?
Old 03-18-18, 06:43 PM
Khrysse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will go ahead and disconnect all wires tonight and report back. I bought it new. Upon inspection of the inner tube, there were 4 spots that we're worn as if they had been sanded for lack of a better description. I'm no where close to Chinese, I live in Maine, USA. I appreciate your time and assistance and will report back.
Old 03-18-18, 07:25 PM
Doc_Wui

Just a wild guess. Did you do anything with the disk rotor? Like take it off and put it back on? Maybe someone tightened them?

Another way to lock up a wheel is overly long screws that hold the rotor can contact the inside of the motor.Often there is only a 1/2 mm of clearance, and if someone uses the wrong screws or leaves out a spacer ...

Although Nelson says that's a direct drive motor, I didn't think they were often used in small appliances like this one. Your best bet may still be the seller making good on warranty.
Old 03-19-18, 10:21 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When a warranty claim starts with "it worked, then I messed with it, and now it doesn't work", it will be generally denied as a warranty problem.

Also, the expense of shipping to China, both ways, may not be worth it. Warranty coverage should certainly be investigated, maybe there is a US warehouse.

Most super el cheapo models use DD hubs, because they are cheaper than geared, in most cases. With a wheel that small, geared just is not necessary.

Also, I looked that bike up, and just have to say, Holy Crap, a skateboard wouldn't work for ya? 4 amp battery???? Different strokes, I guess.

The scuffed tube could indicate a bent or out of round wheel, but no spokes so no adjustment possible. The locked wheel, when off the bike, If repeat IF wires were disconnected, indicates internal problem. The very small wheel means not much leverage to attempt to turn, ordinarily electrical short would not "lock" the wheel as described, but the small wheel diameter could be the reason.

It is possible it is a geared hub with a shattered gear or broken clutch, usually this only happens with a sharp jolt such as an impact or lockup, but the OP has stated this did not happen. Description says it happened AFTER changing the tube, which is odd. That is more likely to be wires shorted.

The word "disassemble" was used, not common for a tire change, I wonder if the motor case was opened at any time?
Old 05-06-18, 11:11 AM
Wingryder1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't leave us hanging.. Did you get to the bottom of this and get back on the road?
Old 05-07-18, 03:58 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OP is long gone. Get used to it, this is the way 90% of the Troubleshooting threads end here. Pretty much makes attempting to help a useless waste of time.
Old 05-13-18, 08:57 PM
Khrysse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I am still here and no I haven't gotten the bike back up and going. My brother passed away, and then I had to go back to school. I just got back home Friday, and hope to get it back working this week. I will definitely post back with results.
Old 05-17-18, 02:41 PM
Doc_Wui

My condolences on losing your brother.