Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What would have been the most popular "enthusiast" level bike in the 60's in the USA?

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What would have been the most popular "enthusiast" level bike in the 60's in the USA?

Old 05-20-18, 12:24 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Now that I'm no longer competing, whenever I meet somebody new and they inquire about my pastimes, describe myself as an "avid cyclist".
Old 05-20-18, 12:56 PM
Nightcap 

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I don't know what the most popular bikes were, but mine was a red-gold flake C. Itoh ten speed, purchased from paper route money. It was apparently popular, because I didn't keep it long - somebody stole it.
Old 05-20-18, 03:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Awesome, especially the single-speed unsupported. Just awesome.
An awesome teacher, too. I doubt that many other language teachers got results as good as he did. But, yeah, that unsupported trip when he was 16 is beyond my imagination. My classmate's trip to KY or TN was unsupported, too, but the fact that he had a 10-speed bike makes it less amazing to me. It's not, though. His trip was in the awesome range, too.
Old 05-20-18, 03:42 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Now that I'm no longer competing, whenever I meet somebody new and they inquire about my pastimes, describe myself as an "avid cyclist".
I kind of always wince when someone notices that I am on a different bike all the time and declares, "you must be a collector".

There is a point of view I must admit, I no longer race, the local Masters scene has way too many guys on PED's, no drug testing locally, currently anyway. Too expensive to conduct. Only rides that do not feel like "training" rides psychologically are with my family or son. Old racers do not make good tourists.

Last edited by repechage; 05-20-18 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 08:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 365 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
I say I'm a bike nut or cyclephile.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-21-18, 04:20 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
You would guess that it would have to be a schwinn, right? Certainly European bikes were available but my guess is likely only in urban areas whereas Schwinn had market presence throughout the US. The first Japanese bikes must have been imported then as well but they were not as well respected then as they became later. The classic fuji catalog site beings in 1971 though I think their bikes were imported earlier. Schwinn catalogs go way back as do that of established European manufacturers.
It really depends on how "enthusiast" is defined. I'll go out on a limb and suggest the bike would need to be 25 lbs or less to qualify as something that someone wanting to engage in spirited club riding would have owned. I don't know the answer to that bit of trivia, but this criteria would have reduced qualifying Schwinn models to only the Paramount.

If we're talking about the late 60's, I'd take a wild guess that the PX-10 was very close to the top.