Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Dash Altena

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Dash Altena

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 07:41 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
My Dahon Dash Altena

This is a thread dedicated to my Dahon Dash Altena and its evolution.

It all started with just the frame and fork...

Add and mix:
▪ Shimano 105 5800 groupset
▪ Wheelsport Super 451 wheels
▪ VO Porteur handlebar
▪ VO stem
▪ Ritchey Logic cork handlebar tape
▪ Crank Brothers Candy
▪ Cardiff Cornwall saddle
and the result was this:

L frame
Top tube: 55.5cm
Seat tube: 51cm
Chain stay: 42cm
Seat stay: 54cm
Head tube angle: 73°
Bottom bracket height (on 23mm tires): 28cm
Wheelbase: 103cm

25-99 gear-inches

[the other, original thread will no longer be updated]

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-21-18 at 07:20 PM.
Likes For Abu Mahendra:
Old 07-26-16, 04:39 AM
nz6666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice one
Old 07-29-16, 08:22 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Beautiful Bike! Are the brake levers comfortable with that bar?

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 07-31-16, 10:48 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
This came out beautifully. I luv the look of it,...a city classic. Around my area I'd be riding the king of folders if I built one of these babies up. Fantastic ride!!!
Old 10-06-16, 08:05 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Really nice build! Good geometry as well. The folding frame makes a good case for a travel bike.
Old 10-08-16, 12:16 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Wow! Very nicely built up.
Old 01-30-17, 02:46 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Two upgrades

● Switched to 37-451 Maxxis Torch, folding
● Installed a light, polished kick-stand

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 02-02-17 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 09:48 AM
Richbiker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really nice build. How did you get a frameset? I'm in the USA, and the Altena's are not available here. I thought about ordering one off Rakuten or Amazon Japan, but wasn't sure how the shipping would work, import taxes (Rakuten & Amazon Japan both required a 3rd party shipper)--I took a pass. Too many "moving parts" to get a bike that should have been sold here in the USA. If you have any suggestions for how to get the Altena or just the frame, let me know.
Same situation applies to Hasa . . . they seem to make a lot of nice stuff, but their ti folder is not available in USA. Jurien helped me buy a TI Swift from Titan Product in China (check out the Titanium Swift thread--a picture of my bike is on one of the last pages).

Last edited by Richbiker; 02-16-17 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 09:54 AM
Abu Mahendra

Thanks. I struck a deal with the bike shop. Simple as that. They can be had in Bangkok too.

My only suggestion for getting one is to take a vacation in Thailand, and take one back home with you.

Originally Posted by Richbiker
Really nice build. How did you get a frameset? I'm in the USA, and the Altena's are not available here. I thought about ordering one off Tenso or Amazon Japan, but wasn't sure how the shipping would work, import taxes (Tenso & Amazon Japan both required a 3rd party shipper)--I took a pass. Too many "moving parts" to get a bike that should have been sold here in the USA. If you have any suggestions for how to get the Altena or just the frame, let me know.
Same situation applies to Hasa . . . they seem to make a lot of nice stuff, but their ti folder is not available in USA. Jurien helped me buy a TI Swift from Titan Product in China (check out the Titanium Swift thread--a picture of my bike is on one of the last pages).
Old 01-27-18, 06:57 PM
Abu Mahendra

Old 02-03-18, 07:25 PM
pinholecam

What tires do you have on the Altena?
Wide and knobbly ones for 451 seem few in choices..
Old 02-03-18, 10:09 PM
Abu Mahendra

Maxxis Torch 37-451 folding

Originally Posted by pinholecam
What tires do you have on the Altena?
Wide and knobbly ones for 451 seem few in choices..

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 02-11-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-04-18, 04:47 AM
pinholecam

Thanks.

Really can't say that I have ever heard of Maxxis Torch before.
Its good to have one more option for wide 451 tires when I use my bikes for trips that may involve some light trails.
Old 04-07-18, 06:00 AM
Abu Mahendra

Old 05-19-18, 11:56 PM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...!4d139.5961697

You?
Old 05-20-18, 12:46 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by kidshibuya
Am I supposed to be seeing something there? Never been to Japan, but would like to tour there later this/next year. You keen to join me on a tour of Hokkaido?

oh, btw, this is how my Altena looks now...

Old 05-20-18, 01:18 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Am I supposed to be seeing something there? Never been to Japan, but would like to tour there later this/next year. You keen to join me on a tour of Hokkaido?

oh, btw, this is how my Altena looks now...

Ah, thought it looked like your bike, plus the poster wasn't from Japan, so thought it could possibly be you

A tour of Hokkaido sounds awesome actually. I have been there in summer and it was one of my favorite places. How long do you think it would take? You have my mind spinning now, I have actually wanted to ride the length of Japan one day after I watched an anime where a guy did it. Getting time off work is the big challenge. At this stage I am very much up for that
Old 05-20-18, 02:37 AM
Abu Mahendra

Hokkaido Gravel

Kid, I've heard that Hokkaido has some rad gravel country roads. I am keen to explore those. On a full-size 29er. I've never ridden a Japanese bullet train so i'd be keen to splurge on the Tokyo-Sapporo run.

If you are interested in radonneuring, there's the Japanese Odyssey to consider. I was interested, but no way i am gonna pay the entrance fee.You've got coin to spare, it seems, so it may be right up your alley.

Ah, thought it looked like your bike, plus the poster wasn't from Japan, so thought it could possibly be you

A tour of Hokkaido sounds awesome actually. I have been there in summer and it was one of my favorite places. How long do you think it would take? You have my mind spinning now, I have actually wanted to ride the length of Japan one day after I watched an anime where a guy did it. Getting time off work is the big challenge. At this stage I am very much up for that
l
Old 05-21-18, 08:04 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think redoing the bar tape would be a good project. I bought some cheap $2 ebay bar tape to practice with on my drop bars. You can also get $2 bar end plug led lights for extra car avoidance.
Old 05-21-18, 05:43 PM
Abu Mahendra

I agree...

Originally Posted by ttakata73
I think redoing the bar tape would be a good project. I bought some cheap $2 ebay bar tape to practice with on my drop bars. You can also get $2 bar end plug led lights for extra car avoidance.
I removed the bar tape, and the underlying foam core which made the bar look too thick. I will wrap it again as soon as i get my hands on white bar tape...

I installed Ritchey Venturemax drop-bars, and a Kore Repute 35mm stem. The former have 7.6cm reach, 10.2cm drop and 24° flare, and though they are 42cm nominal, they are 52cm from end to end. For aesthetic reasons this is probably as wide as one would want on a small-wheel bike. I'd like to try out the 38cm nominal version of the Salsa Cowbell, Cowchipper, or Ritchey Venturemax. Love that 24° flare​​​​​​.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-21-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 05:52 PM
Abu Mahendra

Update on Maxxis Torch 37-451

So far, so good. No flats. Not slick fast, but not sluggish either. Running them at 50/70psi. Tried 60/80psi one day, and that was too much. Tried 40/60psi also, but 40psi is too little at the front, and risks snakebite on my 76kg weight.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-21-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 10:32 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kid, I've heard that Hokkaido has some rad gravel country roads. I am keen to explore those. On a full-size 29er. I've never ridden a Japanese bullet train so i'd be keen to splurge on the Tokyo-Sapporo run.

If you are interested in radonneuring, there's the Japanese Odyssey to consider. I was interested, but no way i am gonna pay the entrance fee.You've got coin to spare, it seems, so it may be right up your alley.

l
Sorry the odyssey website wouldn't load for me when you posted this, then I forgot about it lol. But man I dont get that, you pay a lot of money to have your location tracked?... Thats it? You could just not pay and do the same thing.

On the MTB, are you going to build one up or.. i dont know, rent one here? Also wont it be heavy going on the roads or you planning to get transport from location to location?
Old 05-25-18, 05:52 PM
Abu Mahendra

Sorry the odyssey website wouldn't load for me when you posted this, then I forgot about it lol. But man I dont get that, you pay a lot of money to have your location tracked?... Thats it? You could just not pay and do the same thing.

On the MTB, are you going to build one up or.. i dont know, rent one here? Also wont it be heavy going on the roads or you planning to get transport from location to location?
yeah, the website is buggy. Doesn't load for me too. The website has the route descriptions so you can do those without entering the event.

i am enjoying Seoul, and enjoyed Taipei, both First World cities, immensenly. An urbanite at heart who's lived in NYC, Mexico City, Singapore and Jakarta, I'd also like to take in Japan city life.

i would probably bring my own bike. I"ve got everything for the build except the frameset. Keen on a Soma Double Cross Disc 2017.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-25-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 07:41 AM
alternatve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,

Is there space to fit in mudguards with those 37/451 tyres with wider brakes, or does the fork / rear triangle width prohibit it?

I'm thinking of getting an altena for use as a daily commuter and possibly light tourer, and wide tyres + mudguards are a must.

Thank you!
Old 01-21-23, 09:02 AM
akeb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to get a size L Altena in Bangkok

Hi.
Just lately got interest in Dahon Dash Altena and learned from Dahon Thailand distributor (Nava Bike / City Bike) that they import only size M's. I am 178 cm. tall. So I wonder from which shop and how did you managed to get your size L Altena in Bangkok
Thanks in advance.
Ake

Last edited by akeb; 01-21-23 at 09:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.