Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Urbanx e bike wheel

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Urbanx e bike wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 12:53 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Urbanx e bike wheel

They just added 20" so I ordered one for my Bike Friday. I'm only going to use a powered wheel a couple times a month so did not want a permanent solution. Using the bluetooth pedal assist controls on a smartphone, you don't need to install anything other than the wheel. Hope it works out okay (this is the 2d gen for them) and doesn't turn out like the Helix bike, a fantasy. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...60/description
Old 04-21-17, 05:20 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
That actually seems pretty good for first time buyers, and for someone who wants to mainly pedal their bicycle and get a bit of assistance... I would say the range for assistance is more like 10 Miles tho, IMO...
Old 04-21-17, 08:21 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 350htrr
That actually seems pretty good for first time buyers, and for someone who wants to mainly pedal their bicycle and get a bit of assistance... I would say the range for assistance is more like 10 Miles tho, IMO...
They responded to my question about range and said they got 30 miles on flats with 1:1 pedaling and a 150 lb guy. That it ran 15 miles throttle only. For my purposes 10 miles would be okay and they offer additional batteries as well. I initially owned a dedicated e-bike for about a year and half while getting back into cycling, but now prefer personal power except when I ride with my adult son who has to wait for me to catch up. I'm hoping this will reduce his wait time without me having a motor stuck on my bike all the time.
Old 04-22-17, 07:39 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Drop outs on some folders are sometimes less than the typical 100mm on big bikes. I assume the urbanz is 100mm. Yours will fit?

Wow. $299. My battery on my folder cost $250, but I wouldn't trust my samsung to run a bike.
Old 04-22-17, 09:36 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Drop outs on some folders are sometimes less than the typical 100mm on big bikes. I assume the urbanz is 100mm. Yours will fit?

Wow. $299. My battery on my folder cost $250, but I wouldn't trust my samsung to run a bike.
Yes, Bike Friday uses 100mm not 74mm. This is the second iteration of this wheel (first was called imortor, stupid name). Obviously kickstarter prices are closer to cost than retail, and e-bike motors are pretty cheap as evidenced by how inexpensively folks on endless-sphere create their units. This is fairly low power but that actually is fine for me and I'm sure that keeps the cost down as well. For that price, it is worth the risk.
My only concern is they probably won't be in business when I need a new battery and the battery is proprietary. Hopefully, I will be able to find someone good at wiring to either open the case and replace the innards or wire a standard e-bike battery to it a few years from now. Unless this kind of thing gets so cheap it's easier to just replace it.
It's an adventure ;-)
Old 05-03-17, 11:12 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by tdonline
More on the e-bike wheel please?
I injured my MCL and a friend, with way more bikes than anyone should own, put a 20" hub motor on my Bike Friday so I could still ride until it got better. The docs informed me that the MRI made it clear I should not be pumping out of the saddle on big hills anymore, so I wanted something I could easily swap on and off since I only ride that route a couple times a month. I looked at friction drives because they are lightweight and small, but the decent ones cost nearly as much as a bike.
The Urbanx is an all in one wheel. Replace the front wheel. If you don't want to use throttle and just want the pedal assist, then that's all you need to do. A smartphone controls the amount of assist. While Kickstarter is always "iffy" this is the second interation of their device so I feel pretty confident they will ship and it will work. And since it was $299 plus $80 shipping, I won't be homeless if I don't receive it. It weighs 15 lbs which will make my Bike Friday a 40 lb bike when I use it, but I won't be taking it on public transit when I have the ebike wheel attached so no lifting. And my front load of groceries is often way more than 15 lbs so not worried about handling (folders actually like front loads).
Here is the original campaign page, if you are interested: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ric-bike-in-60 And here is the 20" wheel option: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1865329
Old 05-03-17, 11:28 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Interesting, hope to hear your experiences with the wheel. That's a pretty sweet price point to electrify your bike. As an urban dweller, my mind goes immediately to securing the wheel while it's out.
Old 05-03-17, 11:35 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by tdonline
Interesting, hope to hear your experiences with the wheel. That's a pretty sweet price point to electrify your bike. As an urban dweller, my mind goes immediately to securing the wheel while it's out.
Indeed. They are looking at hexlok bolts but I also could easily run a cable or mini u lock through the very short spoke area and lock it to my front rack which is attached to the fork. It would probably deter most thieves. And 20" stuff doesn't get stolen as often around here as the market is so much smaller so the return on effort is greater with regular bike gear.
Old 05-03-17, 12:13 PM
Doc_Wui

So you're riding a front hub motor right now, linberl, while waiting for the urbanx? What type and size?
Old 05-03-17, 01:33 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
So you're riding a front hub motor right now, linberl, while waiting for the urbanx? What type and size?
I was....my friend swapped the hilltopper off one of his bikes which was also a 20" wheel. I returned it the start of April and have been riding "naturally" since but not hitting any big hills. It worked okay but I did not like the little button throttle - not comfortable for me. And basically on/off with no assist adjustment. However, it kept me on the bike for a few months where I might not have been able to ride at all, so I was grateful for it!
Old 05-03-17, 01:36 PM
Doc_Wui

Hilltoppers are interesting and appear real simple to install, but I hear what you say about the on/off throttle. Still, if it had enough power to conquer your hills, then you know what works as a minimum.
Old 09-08-17, 04:12 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Linberl, has your urbanx arrived yet? There seem to be delays in the shipping schedule.
Old 09-08-17, 04:21 PM
linberl

I actually ended up canceling and having my credit card chargeback. I emailed the creators pictures of my forks to see if the wheel would fit my bike WITHOUT modification and they said yes. However, the wheel has a wider axle fitting than the space in my dropouts and I do not want to file them down to make this thing fit. Additionally, a lot of people have had problems (you can read the comments on kickstarter) and the creators have not exactly been responsive. OTOH, I was fortunate to subsequently find someone tired of waiting for the Shareroller on Kickstarter (it's more than a year late) and I originally wanted that unit but missed the funding period. The project creator has arranged a swap so I'm now backer #38! I'm not worried about receiving it or about the quality because the creator is already known as reputable for his first version and a brompton accessory.
I hope you get yours and everything works out with your wheel - some people have had good success.

Last edited by linberl; 09-08-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 05:09 PM
esther-L

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't received mine yet. Someone I know in Texas got his this week, but with an incorrect set of connectors.
Old 09-08-17, 05:26 PM
linberl

The "August" deliveries seem to be showing up in September. If you sign up with "my ups" you will be able to see your shipping info, otherwise it will just show up when it does. Fingers crossed that you get a good one.
Old 09-14-17, 08:29 PM
esther-L

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I contacted the UrbanX folks, and they said I should expect my shipment in October.
Old 09-17-17, 02:44 PM
sulli3655

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my 26" wheel 2 weeks ago, and have used it 4 times. My bike with the Urbanx wheel is about 60lbs, I weigh 225 lbs, and with about 15-20lbs of groceries in my twin saddlebags, it struggles somewhat on the 150ft, 20-30 degree uphill stretch of road, on my way back home. So it's obviously not a vert high torque motor. With just me on it, it flys...but I noticed it goes from full charge to yellow (30%-70%) quickly either way, and I'm wondering what the true distance is, under nominal weight load. I'm thinking it will stay in the yellow percentile for quite a while, but I don't want to get starnded too far from home, just trying to figure it out. Any knowledge, or advise, on this?
Old 09-17-17, 08:04 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Ride 5-10 miles from your home and back, then around the neighborhood until the battery is exhausted. Then, you'll be close to home.
Old 09-17-17, 09:19 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by sulli3655
Got my 26" wheel 2 weeks ago, and have used it 4 times. My bike with the Urbanx wheel is about 60lbs, I weigh 225 lbs, and with about 15-20lbs of groceries in my twin saddlebags, it struggles somewhat on the 150ft, 20-30 degree uphill stretch of road, on my way back home. So it's obviously not a vert high torque motor. With just me on it, it flys...but I noticed it goes from full charge to yellow (30%-70%) quickly either way, and I'm wondering what the true distance is, under nominal weight load. I'm thinking it will stay in the yellow percentile for quite a while, but I don't want to get starnded too far from home, just trying to figure it out. Any knowledge, or advise, on this?
It will depend first on whether you have the 350w or 250w model. Assuming it is 350w, most people on throttle only are getting around 10 mi range but some are getting less You are a bit on the bigger side and the bike is pretty heavy so that may impact it. People who are pedaling and taking a few moderate hills report anything from 10-19 miles, maybe more if on the lower PAS settings instead of on level 3. Go read through the comments on Kickstarter and you will (amidst all the other stuff) a few people who have reported on their range. If you are using the app, it should give you a better sense of power used (although it will fluctuate as you pedal or climb).
Old 09-25-17, 10:50 AM
sulli3655

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 250w motor, so my mileage will be much less then...I'm thinking.
Old 09-25-17, 03:50 PM
linberl

I have a 250w motor, so my mileage will be much less then...I'm thinking.
The lower your watts, the better your mileage - every thing else being equal. Not a big difference, though.
Old 09-25-17, 03:50 PM
sulli3655

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get the Android/English version of the PAS application? The barcode that came with the wheel took me to a site in Chinese. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-17, 03:53 PM
sulli3655

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was going to get a backup battery, and the 350 watt, but if there isn't that much difference, and the mileage is better, I'll stick with the 250watt battery. Cheaper too. Now, I just need to find a link where I can order one...lol.
Old 09-25-17, 08:26 PM
linberl

Thanks for the info. I was going to get a backup battery, and the 350 watt, but if there isn't that much difference, and the mileage is better, I'll stick with the 250watt battery. Cheaper too. Now, I just need to find a link where I can order one...lol.
I think it's all the same hardware, and the controller setting determines the watts and peak watts.
Old 10-05-17, 01:09 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Well I'm glad to hear some actual people have received theirs, I was supposed to be in the July delivery group but am still waiting on my first one ordered. I'm frustrated to the point where I'm considering having the payment flagged for fraud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.