Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Help with cramps in the summer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 10:58 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
Pedialyte is one of the worst electrolyte supplements on the market, but has one of the better marketing campaigns. Heed by Hammer Nutrition is repeatedly scored as one of the best, if not the best. I use it, never have a problem and highly recommend it.
What kind of scoring system are they using? Do you have any scientific articles to back this?
I use pedialyte, never have a problem and highly recommend it.
Old 07-08-17, 03:03 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
What kind of scoring system are they using? Do you have any scientific articles to back this?
I agree.

Pedialyte is good and not as sweet as Gatorade. The only downside is that it's relatively expensive compared to Gatorade (also good).

The NFL is the highest revenue generating sport in the country (world?) and they use Pedialyte. I'm pretty sure they did the research.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton talked about returning from a shoulder injury while holding a bottle with an orange liquid. He confirmed he has been chugging the children's drink Pedialyte for the adult benefits.
Steelers' bye week recovery plan: Run wind sprints, drink Pedialyte - Pittsburgh Steelers Blog- ESPN

As well as MLB:

When Tom Glavine, a star pitcher for the New York Mets, earned his milestone 300th victory on a hot and humid night in August, he had a secret weapon.

It was not illegal. It was so safe a baby could use it. In fact, many babies do.

Between innings, Glavine sipped Pedialyte, a liquid sold alongside diapers in drugstores that is meant to quickly rehydrate toddlers experiencing diarrhea. The neon-tinted fluid that comes in grape and other child-friendly flavors contains electrolytes such as sodium, potassium and glucose, which happen to be the basic ingredients in most sports drinks.
Pedialyte tastes bad but gets good results for athletes ? Orange County Register

Gatorade Orange is my go-to beverage. Cheap, easy to find, and when you mix it 50/50 with ice water, it goes down well, like Pedialyte.

The other flavors turn my stomach. I believe that G2 doesn't have the same sugars that we need for gluconeogenesis. It's sugar free, I think.

The best is the powdered orange Gatorade. That way you can control the mix and it's cheaper and portable. You can buy a small container (about the size of a grapefruit) and keep it in your gear bag or car.
Old 07-08-17, 03:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

Update:

Taras, yesterday I did a gym workout then went to watch evening races at DLV. It was kind of warm. Ate only a steak for dinner with no sides (and a handful of Swedish Fish later (we are being honest, right?)) and went to bed. No supplements all day. Legs were spent from lots of deadlifts. I felt like I could start cramping at any moment, but didn't. In the AM awoke and did a good morning yawn and stretch...and boom. Small cramp in the calf.
Old 07-08-17, 05:34 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
This is the latest one that I have seen. Go to Paleoedge.com You can either type in Best electrolyte drinks in the search bar or you can scroll down the site and find it near the bottom of the second page. There is also info on the best electrolyte drink for diabetics if that relates to you or anyone you know. The one I am referring to is "Best and Worst electrolyte drinks".
Old 07-08-17, 08:38 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
The nutritional profile for Pedialyte compared to other drinks is actually quite poor. That's not to say it can't be effective for an athlete. Depending on diet, genetics, and other factors, different drinks will work for different folks.

Pedialyte is formulated specifically to help rehydrate after bouts of diarrhea. It lacks magnesium and calcium, which are important in muscular contraction/relaxation. It leaves out the magnesium because magnesium will relax muscles, and in the digestive tract, can act as a laxative. The calcium can also affect stomach acid pH and this can also lead to more/prolonged diarrhea. I also don't like it because two of the ingredients in its list will combine to make an ingredient that is already included in the list (Salt and Citric acid, Sodium Citrate).

As far as NFL and MLB endorsing it, they're money making machines. They will go with the highest bidder. Athletes are fickle. They'll use what they want to use, and slap a Pedialyte label on it.

Divebrian is right in that there are lots of better choices out there. Pedialyte can easily be replaced by some salt water and a banana.
Old 07-08-17, 11:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Wow. I stand corrected. Sorry, Divebrian.

So, is Pedialyte sponsoring pro sports?

Last edited by carleton; 07-08-17 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-08-17, 11:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Reading up on Gatorade, sugar is its Achilles heel:

There are 39g of sugar in one 20oz bottle of regular Gatorade. The maximum amount of sugars a person should eat in a day is 25 grams for women and 37.5 grams for men. According to the American Heart Association, the recommended amount of sugar for women is about 6 teaspoons and for men is about 9 teaspoons.[50] Family Education says the AHA states that children should be consuming even less sugar, only about 3 to 4 teaspoons each day.[51]
I think these amounts of sugar might be OK for athletes who'll use them immediately, but I've watched teens and young adults drink Gatorade thinking it was a healthy alternative to sodas and didn't realize that they were being hooked on the sugar.

In 2012, a study on nearly 11,000 teens reported that "teens put on even more weight if they drank a bottle of sports drink each day, averaging 3.5 pounds for every sports drink consumed per day". The researchers concluded, "We need to educate parents and clinicians about what constitutes a sugary drink.... Sports drinks are promoted by professional athletes as a healthy drink, but they really don't need to be used by kids unless they are continually exercising for long periods or they're in hot climates."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade

Gatorade Thirst Quencher is sweetened using a sucrose-dextrose mix. For a period of time in the 1990s and early 2000s, high fructose corn syrup was used to sweeten Gatorade distributed in North America, but as of 2011, the drink once again sweetened with a sucrose-dextrose combination, which the company describes as being "preferred by consumers". G2 and G2 Natural, labeled as being "lower calorie" variants, are sweetened in part with PureVia, an extract of the Stevia plant.[48]
I believe that sucrose and dextrose aid in gluconeogenesis, but maybe they could cut back a bit instead of going with Stevia (in "G2") which I don't think helps gluconeogenesis at all.

With regular Gatorade being t $2/bottle and mixing it 50/50 with water making it $1/bottle, maybe it's the best thing going now?
Old 07-09-17, 08:10 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Heed electrolyte drink...I used to mix the powdered Gatorade. You can order it directly from Hammer Nutrition for 80 servings for $58.95 and 32 servings for $29.95, cheaper than the Gatorade per serving. I use one scoop per large water bottle. Instead of buying one 80 serving container, I buy two smaller ones so I can alternate flavors and it's still less than $1 per serving. Using the cost basis approach, the premium natural ingredients are a bonus.
Old 07-09-17, 05:26 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Carleton, try a dark leafy green salad with your carnivorous meals, with a vinaigrette dressing (it helps to absorb the minerals from the salad). Or a cal-mag supplement. Stay away from oxide versions of minerals as they are poorly absorbed. You'll absorb more Magnesium Citrate at 150mg dose than you would a 500mg dose of Magnesium Oxide. Mag Oxide basically ends up becoming a laxative because so much of it ends up passing into the intestinal tract, instead of being absorbed earlier.
Old 07-09-17, 06:17 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Reading up on Gatorade, sugar is its Achilles heel:
Originally Posted by Divebrian
I use the Heed electrolyte drink...I used to mix the powdered Gatorade.
Heed has hardly any sodium or potassium at all. I had one of my worst cramp experiences on organized rides where they were giving out Hammer products at the rest stops. The other was on a desert ride in July where I was using an energy drink with similar amounts of sodium and potassium as Heed (117 F on the thermometer in the popup at the start of my relay leg). You can supplement it with their other potions, but on long ride on a hot SoCal day, Heed by itself doesn't even come close to replacement.

Not all Gatorades are created equal - they've been changing the formula over the years so that the stuff in the 7-11 is mostly a soft drink, but even the 7-11 version has more electrolytes than Heed, and they also sell high electrolyte versions. We started getting the Gatorade Endurance powder and mixing it half strength if we don't want as much sugar, or full strength if we do. Even at half strength it's got 150 mg sodium and 70 mg of potassium per 12 oz. For no sugar electrolytes, I usually use Gatorlytes, which have a ton of Na and K, plus Ca and Mg. I sweat out a lot of salt, so I tend to mix them full strength, and my GF runs them half strength.
Old 07-09-17, 10:39 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Re: the low carb diet thing...as mentioned before ANY protein during exercise and I knot up.

Be interesting to query a big brain on a hypothesis as to why. But cramps are at present a bit of a mystery, at least from the papers I've read.
I read some stuff either last year or early this year pointing to cramping in the basic sense being a result of muscle fatigue. From there it got very technical and hazy as any one or combination of a whole range of things could bring on that fatigue (and cramping). Things like mineral imbalances, dehydration and a whole lot of others. What I don't get is as Carleton described up there ^^, the cramps that hit you early in the morning when you are theoretically rested and recovered??? Sure there has to be a lot more to it....
Old 07-09-17, 11:21 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by brawlo
I read some stuff either last year or early this year pointing to cramping in the basic sense being a result of muscle fatigue. From there it got very technical and hazy as any one or combination of a whole range of things could bring on that fatigue (and cramping). Things like mineral imbalances, dehydration and a whole lot of others. What I don't get is as Carleton described up there ^^, the cramps that hit you early in the morning when you are theoretically rested and recovered??? Sure there has to be a lot more to it....
That's most likely because first thing in the morning, your body is parched. Think about not drinking anything for 6-8 hours. That's most likely the largest contributing factor, coupled with a mineral imbalance. Most cramping issues are due to a mineral/electrolyte imbalance.

The fatigue aspect is certainly something to consider. When there is underlying fatigue, your body's hormones are out of whack, and this includes your neurotransmitters. Your muscles will be sluggish to fire, so what ends up happening is fewer motor units fire to save the rest of the muscle from working too hard. This places more stress on that/those particular motor units, causing a more intense contraction. Lack of potassium will cause the muscle cells to stay contracted. If you get a knot like this, you can release it by starving it of blood. Just find the center of the knot and push on it as hard as you can and hold it. This stops the blood flow to it, starving it of oxygen and forcing it to release. It might tense back up again in a minute or so, just keep doing this and massaging it in between contractions.

I keep a lacrosse ball handy for situations like this. A PVC pipe (3" or 4") can also work, just like a foam roller, but will provide an unforgiving surface that better targets knots. Don't overdo it, a hard roller can cause bruising.
Old 07-10-17, 06:15 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I like Gatorade G2 when I'm going out to the track. There is so much sugar in it that it helps stave off dry mouth.

For workouts, I use Infinit Nutrition. They do custom mixes, so you can determine how much protein or calories you want in your drink. I usually wait til the annual buy one, get one free sale. That's generally enough to last me a year. That said, I tend to mix it at 50% strength. All sports drinks at full strength mess up my stomach.

If you want to try infinite, you can use the code trianglevelo to get 10% off. They have a 40% off sale coming up soon too. I got an email about it, but I don't remember the details. I think you can combine the discount with the 40 percent.
Old 07-10-17, 06:40 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I don't think enough has been said about starting hydration early. It takes a while for the body to process liquids and you have to stay ahead of dehydration. Taking in the basic 5-10 ounce every 15-20 minutes is fine as a general rule but you have to start hydrating early to avoid falling behind. I usually drink about an hour before I ride and take some OJ as the last thing I do before I start.

My go to drink while riding is a 1:1 combination of OJ and lemonade with some salt thrown in. I tried including honey but found it difficult to dissolve.
Old 07-16-17, 03:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

It's Protein.

@brawlo and @taras0000 were right.

The night I had my big cramps, I did a sweaty workout then at only chicken afterwards. Years ago, I was on a Keto diet when it happened.

Last week I had a few small cramps when I ate only protein after working out.

Today was a track day (standing starts). Ate 2 eggs for breakfast (with salt). 102F/39C in the infield. Drank 1 pint of Gatorade and 1.5 pints of water during the session. Felt fine. Came home, showered, relaxed. Snacked on a bunch of leftover breakfast sausage that I didn't eat this morning. 30 minutes later, my right hamstring is like, "Yo...you know we are about to do this thing, right?" as it pulsates with "pre-cramps". I hustle gingerly to the kitchen and take potassium pills, magnesium pills, and eat some salt...then I plugged in the heating pad and I'm sitting here waiting to see what's up

Last edited by carleton; 07-16-17 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 04:52 PM
carleton
Elitist

....annnnd yup. The cramps hit hard as F.

The heat pads are the best thing I've found for relief.
Old 07-27-17, 06:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
If anyone wants a code for 40% off a custom Infinit mix, PM me.
Old 07-27-17, 01:49 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I've been hearing lately about cramping being approached as a neuromuscular issue, rather than something to do with hydration or electrolytes. Kinda makes sense on the surface, as dehydration affects the whole body and cramps do not. Here's a short article that touches on it: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/t...muscle-cramps/

VeloNews is supposed to have a podcast on the subject out soon I think.
Old 07-27-17, 02:11 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by seau grateau
I've been hearing lately about cramping being approached as a neuromuscular issue, rather than something to do with hydration or electrolytes. Kinda makes sense on the surface, as dehydration affects the whole body and cramps do not. Here's a short article that touches on it: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/t...muscle-cramps/

VeloNews is supposed to have a podcast on the subject out soon I think.
Thanks! I hope they make progress in this area.

I don't necessarily agree with this concluding statement, though:

So, while electrolytes, hydration, and fitness certainly matter for performance, athletes should not be looking to those elements to cure their cramping issue.
Also, this makes leads me to believe that this approach focuses on mitigating the effects of cramps (duration, intensity, starting at all) but not addressing the cause of the cramps:

At first, the effectiveness of pickle juice baffled scientists, but laboratory studies confirmed its benefit, at least on small muscle groups in the foot that were electrically stimulated to cramp3. Those results led scientists to speculate that pickle juice might activate sensory fibers in the mouth and throat and send signals to the nervous system that calm down hyper-exitable motoneurons and reduce the duration of a cramp.
This is like headaches being a sign of dehydration and taking Tylenol to get rid of the headache. Maybe cramps are a warning of some impending danger. For example, a severe electrolyte imbalance can literally kill us.

Last edited by carleton; 07-27-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 04:30 PM
seau grateau

Yeah, that article's pretty light, and two years old. I'm sure there's better literature on the subject now, but I haven't really looked into it because I haven't had many problems with cramping. *knock on wood*
Old 07-27-17, 09:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

Yeah, that article's pretty light, and two years old. I'm sure there's better literature on the subject now, but I haven't really looked into it because I haven't had many problems with cramping. *knock on wood*
I hope so, too.

I found a similar thread on a tri forum: Adductor cramping: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums
Old 08-29-17, 04:42 AM
seau grateau

That podcast on cramping is live now: Fast Talk podcast, ep. 26: Cramping myths debunked | VeloNews.com

Haven't finished listening to it yet, but it's pretty interesting so far.
Old 08-29-17, 10:25 AM
carleton
Elitist

That podcast on cramping is live now: Fast Talk podcast, ep. 26: Cramping myths debunked | VeloNews.com

THANKS!!

I just started listening to it. I'll try to finish it all today between meetings.
Old 08-29-17, 12:51 PM
Franklin27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Today was a track day (standing starts). Ate 2 eggs for breakfast (with salt). 102F/39C in the infield. Drank 1 pint of Gatorade and 1.5 pints of water during the session. Felt fine. Came home, showered, relaxed. Snacked on a bunch of leftover breakfast sausage that I didn't eat this morning. 30 minutes later, my right hamstring is like, "Yo...you know we are about to do this thing, right?" as it pulsates with "pre-cramps". I hustle gingerly to the kitchen and take potassium pills, magnesium pills, and eat some salt...then I plugged in the heating pad and I'm sitting here waiting to see what's up
Ohh, boy...

I know it's cruel to say it but your cramps chronicles series have left Hitchcock way behind. Someones knows it will inevitably happen, just don't how or when. Nuts.
Old 08-29-17, 02:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Franklin27
Ohh, boy...

I know it's cruel to say it but your cramps chronicles series have left Hitchcock way behind. Someones knows it will inevitably happen, just don't how or when. Nuts.
Yeah, it's crazy.

I listened to the entire 1 hr podcast. It's waaaay too long to find out that the cause is simply fatigue. Fatigue due to the event being over and above what the rider is conditioned to. Even pros get them in early-season races. The scientist called it "Abnormal Neuromuscular Control".

The mechanism of the cramps was explained by the scientist. That was very insightful. Basically, fatigue causes the muscles to contract more and fatigue causes the release action to fail sometimes, so you are left with an all contraction and no release situation. Something related to the Golgi tendon.

It was scientifically proven that electrolyte levels were not a significant factor. They are only a factor in that without them, fatigue sets in faster. Save your money.

Heat is only a factor because fatigue sets in earlier when working out in hot environments.

The scientists actually mentioned "Pre-Cramps" (by name) as an early warning sign. When that happens, stretch. (I'm pretty much a scientist now )

Stretching for about 10-15s is the most effective treatment because it activates the Golgi tendon.

Underhydration is better than overhydration if one is prone to cramping.

My 2 cents: The catch 22 is, in order to get conditioning, you have to overextend...which will make for cramps. But, I guess that there is a sweet spot. But, for my sprint training, almost everything is maximal and designed to exhaust the muscles. If time allows, I literally do sets until fatigue sets in.

So, relative lack of conditioning compared to the workout at hand and working out to exhaustion is what causes the cramps.

Last edited by carleton; 08-29-17 at 02:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.