Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Need advice in building full suspension mini velo

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 07:51 AM
Klaw

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport '07 w BBSHD 1000W, Downtube 9FS ’08 w BBS02 750W, 2016 Cannondale Hooligan, 1996 Trek 800. 2022 Mercier Nano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Can I just take a FS MTB frame and pop 20" wheels on it? Or is there geometry I need to take into consideration?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-17, 10:03 AM
KOTA

Bikes: Townie, Kickbike

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you did that, more than likely the pedals will hit the ground...You can put smaller crank arms on. Not always the best solution. But I've done it on a few bikes I've lowered....hand brakes will be a big problem!
Old 08-18-17, 10:22 AM
Klaw

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport '07 w BBSHD 1000W, Downtube 9FS ’08 w BBS02 750W, 2016 Cannondale Hooligan, 1996 Trek 800. 2022 Mercier Nano

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
So essentially I need a custom frame, or a custom front fork to raise it?
Old 08-18-17, 02:34 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
if you can weld some it could be done, unless it's some expensive frame you don't want to mess with, or not weldable steel.

i never know when this forum actually logs me on. had to test it first. i'll write in an explanation in a bit.

test.

sorry for how weird this is. I'm tired of writing long posts that then get eraced 'cause it says I'm not logged on.

so for the front. assuming it's a 26" bike, you can find another same size head tube (1" or 1 1/8" I mean) off a parts bike and weld 3" of it on the bottom of your frame's head tube (with maybe a small tube from the bottom of what you added back to the downtube). then hop on ebay and look for a new 20" fork. most new ones have a really long steer tube you have to cut down, so you ought to have the extra 3" and still need to trim some off.

for the rear it may be easier or harder, depending on what you find. if you find a 20" bike with the same style suspension you might be able to just bolt it on, maybe with a longer shock. I've done this in the opposite direction before (put a 26" swing arm on a 20 in bike just making something for fun). it works if they were made the same (a lot of the cheaper ones are). other wise you may have to break out the welder again. maybe just hard tail it and add a suspension seatpost.

like I said, I've kinda been thinking on it, but it's a far back burner (really not even on the stove yet) project. if I could come across a couple of the old Fuji/marboro folding mountain bikes ('cause I need one to stay full sized), one of them would probably become the mini velo project.

Last edited by Philphine; 08-19-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-19-17, 10:50 AM
Klaw

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This is what I'm looking to make:

Using air shocks front and back, eventually putting on an IGH with Gates belt. These are both Japanese mini velos from 2011 so fallen out of fashion and aren't available. Not sure where to begin with the frame though. Mod a boys full suspension or cut up a 26er.
Old 08-19-17, 11:17 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
let me add also that when I put the 26" suspension on the 20" frame, it all felt too cramped, but with crazy ground clearance and a super short wheelbase. I ended up leanthening the swing arm a little, but it still sat high and felt small. I took a few pics of it back when I did it, but they're on photobucket and they're holding them hostage.
Old 08-19-17, 12:19 PM
Klaw

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
let me add also that when I put the 26" suspension on the 20" frame, it all felt too cramped, but with crazy ground clearance and a super short wheelbase. I ended up leanthening the swing arm a little, but it still sat high and felt small. I took a few pics of it back when I did it, but they're on photobucket and they're holding them hostage.
That seems the standard for ratrod mini velos that the clearance is huge but the wheelbase is short. Which is why I like the design of the second pic where the swing arm is extended way past the seat.

I was getting ideas from this link as well: "120 tooth MINI-VELO" | Rat Rod Bikes
Old 01-12-18, 05:14 PM
jhoneil

Bikes: Biria Mini-20, Brompton S6L, Cannondale Quick, Cannondale Jekyll

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 6 Posts
That Louis Garneu bike is amazing. I found it on Rakuten and it is $1587.55 right now.