Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

History Repeats - Now it’s Chris Froome

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

History Repeats - Now it’s Chris Froome

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 07:27 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Clayton Shepard

Provisionally suspended for doping at the UCI masters world track championships.

The video of the race is almost halarious. Basically a raging bull who just powered through the field.

The drug Froome was on "legally" does an interesting thing, allows the reduction of fat and helps rebuild muscle faster.
While your competitors are tearing their muscles down in the stage race, you are way out in front in the muscle rebuild, recovery race. To the point now of why bother.

Youd think that guy could have sand bagged a bit and made it look close--- Im used to seeing a pot gut or two in the sprint disciplines, but to see that in the points race was mind bottling
Old 12-16-17, 08:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Youd think that guy could have sand bagged a bit and made it look close--- Im used to seeing a pot gut or two in the sprint disciplines, but to see that in the points race was mind bottling
Well he managed to only win by a point but he did have it sealed by the second last sprint. The way he rode away on the first sprint was telling. A locomotive.

Still, it's pretty amazing to see the old guys doing 60 kph in the matched sprints.
Old 12-16-17, 10:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Of course Froome's prescription to the asthma drug Salbutamol was perfectly legal. He just allegedly had taken too much of it (or it wasn't being excreted quickly enough).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salbutamol#Doping

Originally Posted by kcblair
Yep, doesn't surprise me, either. A large percentage of pros, seem to have asthma . That's how you get to be a pro. KB
I have wondered about that. I find that I wheeze at around 25 MPH effort, or on hard hills. Otherwise, no wheezing during normal ordinary activities.

It may be that many cyclists have discovered benefits of taking bronchio dilators when they ordinarily would not have had clinical asthma, except under extraordinary effort.
Old 12-17-17, 01:09 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Here's how I look at it... doping is only a symptom; big money (and at the bottom, for-profit entertainment of the masses) is the problem... I can think of parallels in other walks of life...
Old 12-17-17, 01:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pppbbbttt... overblown. I use the same stuff for asthma. Doesn't make me superman. All it does is help me breathe on days when my airway is constricted and I'm choking on phlegm. There are days when I don't need it. I can't see any consistent difference.

Due to lifelong chronic respiratory problems I'm lucky to average 16 mph over distances of 20 miles or longer, and that's on a good day. On bad days I'm gasping for air climbing modest hills and trying not to stop at the top to catch my breath. If albuterol or similar asthma inhalers really made a difference I'd have seen it by now in myself.

I get more benefit from strong coffee with sugar than I do from albuterol. And coffee is a good adjunct to the usual OTC asthma and allergy meds, as well as enhancing the efficacy of NSAIDs.

For that matter I get way more benefit from Sudafed and ephedrine than from albuterol. But those stress my already wonky thyroid and elevate my blood pressure, so I take ephedrine only when I actually have to stop before I pass out due to wheezing and gasping for air.

If albuterol is cheating, might as well bring on the EPO and make it really count for something.

I'm still more curious about whether Froome really does have hidden motors. Something about his cadence, gearing and speed just doesn't seem to add up, although it's difficult to tell with his awkward, gangly body type. Just looks like he's flailing away wasting more energy, with a less aero position (with those elbows out like wings) than other comparably fast riders.
Old 12-17-17, 06:55 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Of course Froome's prescription to the asthma drug Salbutamol was perfectly legal. He just allegedly had taken too much of it (or it wasn't being excreted quickly enough).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salbutamol#Doping

I have wondered about that. I find that I wheeze at around 25 MPH effort, or on hard hills. Otherwise, no wheezing during normal ordinary activities.

It may be that many cyclists have discovered benefits of taking bronchio dilators when they ordinarily would not have had clinical asthma, except under extraordinary effort.
I have half a container of that stuff, left over from a small issue, maybe I'll try it next year, on a climb....KB
Old 12-17-17, 02:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I have half a container of that stuff, left over from a small issue, maybe I'll try it next year, on a climb....KB
Don't expect to notice much, if any, difference. It helps a bit with airway constriction and wheezing. That's all. It won't enhance oxygenation in the blood. All it can do for most of us is open the airway to reach our existing potential -- which in my case is pretty low. My VO2 max is around 30-35 at best in my best condition a couple of months ago.

For me the only difference albuterol and ephedrine makes is I can finish a hill climb, albeit slowly and usually dead last in a moderately fast group ride. Without it I'd be walking up hills and not participating in group rides at all.
Old 12-17-17, 02:56 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Don't expect to notice much, if any, difference. It helps a bit with airway constriction and wheezing. That's all. It won't enhance oxygenation in the blood. All it can do for most of us is open the airway to reach our existing potential -- which in my case is pretty low. My VO2 max is around 30-35 at best in my best condition a couple of months ago.

For me the only difference albuterol and ephedrine makes is I can finish a hill climb, albeit slowly and usually dead last in a moderately fast group ride. Without it I'd be walking up hills and not participating in group rides at all.
Thanks for the feedback. Guess I don't need that stuff. At 70, I only take a small dosage of statin drug, that's it. Trying to stay prescription drug free, as much as possible. KB.
Old 12-18-17, 12:41 AM
Vieux chnoque

Location: I split my time living in Limburg, the Netherlands and the Eifel in Germany

Bikes: Many, mostly steel and titanium. Myfirst carbon bike a Kestrel from 1989, failed and since that time I stayed away from plastic bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 3 Posts
I fear CF was tired and so out of it that he lost count of the numbers of puffs he took. Like when he went running up the mountain when he had a mechanical.
He should have just admitted it straight away, should have taken a voluntary suspension and might have gotten away with an official sanction of maybe a couple of months, season 2018 would have been saved.
Now he is going to spend fortunes trying to proove the unprovable, will be in the eye of the media for months, with a very uncertain outcome.
Old 12-18-17, 01:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

The drug Froome was on "legally" does an interesting thing, allows the reduction of fat and helps rebuild muscle faster.
While your competitors are tearing their muscles down in the stage race, you are way out in front in the muscle rebuild, recovery race. To the point now of why bother.
I read that it only has those benefits if taken internally; that inhaling it has none of that effect. I also read that it is very difficult to get big numbers from inhaling in your urine.

I've pulled up a seat and am going to watch how this plays out.

Ben