Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SOTR 2018 Roll Call and coordination....

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

SOTR 2018 Roll Call and coordination....

Old 05-20-18, 06:22 PM
seedsbelize 
Old Chunk of Coal

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3576 Post(s)
A fabulous ride. One cannot expect the weather to be perfect, but it was. This might just become an annual event for me.
Highlight: meeting Robbie, Hugh, and Doc
Old 05-20-18, 07:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
The highlight for me was finally getting to Lynchburg. Not really! Sorry I missed Seeds. Might have seen him if he was camped at the Y. I came in about 9:30 and camped in the 2nd kids gym. It was dark and quiet back there. Only 5 people in that whole space. Doc told me Legs was a great host with a nice family. Saw Robbie in the hallway. Stood up at the corner during rollout, but didn't spot anyone. Made good time and was feeling strong on the climb. Stood up 100 yards from the midway SAG and the quads cramped hard. Worst cramps I've had in 2 or 3 years, and I cramp a lot. Thought I was done for the day but the SAG guy said he could only take me to the top. I would have to make it to the 62 SAG then I could get a ride back to the Y. I sat at the top for a bit sucking down lots of pickles and mustard. Doc rolls up. Spent the rest of the day riding within eyesight of him. He's still got it, still strong. I was still cramping at the 65 SAG, but not bad. Managed to finish. The Lotus is a sweet ride. Overall a good day, but I saw some bad riding out there. People put themselves in some really dangerous situations, then they wonder why cyclists have bad reps with the general public.
Old 05-20-18, 07:31 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
A fabulous ride. One cannot expect the weather to be perfect, but it was. This might just become an annual event for me.
Highlight: meeting Robbie, Hugh, and Doc
Ahh seeds, it is clear you’re from a tropical climate. I struggled in the muggy heat today, first time out this year in this weather for me. Good times, we failed on pictures, so mental snapshots will have to do.

Highlights: Mexican coffee, cacao, and sugar in trade for bike parts. Burgers and beer with good folk, and dry road for a screaming descent off Peaks of Otter.
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '89 Bianchi Giro, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '85 Moser, '8_ Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa
Old 05-21-18, 04:52 AM
seedsbelize 
Old Chunk of Coal

Originally Posted by seypat View Post
The highlight for me was finally getting to Lynchburg. Not really! Sorry I missed Seeds. Might have seen him if he was camped at the Y. I came in about 9:30 and camped in the 2nd kids gym. It was dark and quiet back there. Only 5 people in that whole space. Doc told me Legs was a great host with a nice family. Saw Robbie in the hallway. Stood up at the corner during rollout, but didn't spot anyone. Made good time and was feeling strong on the climb. Stood up 100 yards from the midway SAG and the quads cramped hard. Worst cramps I've had in 2 or 3 years, and I cramp a lot. Thought I was done for the day but the SAG guy said he could only take me to the top. I would have to make it to the 62 SAG then I could get a ride back to the Y. I sat at the top for a bit sucking down lots of pickles and mustard. Doc rolls up. Spent the rest of the day riding within eyesight of him. He's still got it, still strong. I was still cramping at the 65 SAG, but not bad. Managed to finish. The Lotus is a sweet ride. Overall a good day, but I saw some bad riding out there. People put themselves in some really dangerous situations, then they wonder why cyclists have bad reps with the general public.
I was also back there in the second kids gym. I used the pad below the .climbing wall as a mattress.
Old 05-21-18, 04:56 AM
seedsbelize 
Old Chunk of Coal

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post

Ahh seeds, it is clear you’re from a tropical climate. I struggled in the muggy heat today, first time out this year in this weather for me. Good times, we failed on pictures, so mental snapshots will have to do.

Highlights: Mexican coffee, cacao, and sugar in trade for bike parts. Burgers and beer with good folk, and dry road for a screaming descent off Peaks of Otter.
I couldn't believe those screamng descents. Being a flatlander, I ride the brakes on all the downhills excep the ones on the open road. It was kinda fun to watch them go by though.
Old 05-21-18, 06:18 AM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

Bikes: 1959 Religh Sports. 1984 Klein Performance. 1985 Raleigh Racing USA Competition. 1987 Ironman (Master). 1988 Not Your Daddy's Ironman. 1989 Centurion Carbon-R. 1999/00 Serotta Atlanta. 2017 Wraith Hustle. 2018 Wraith Paycheck.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Ride thoughts:

53/39 and 11-32 worked out well. I used the 39/32 thrice, on the last increase in pitch to the mountain top, on the first "hill of Otter," and in the Meadow Wood subdivision (there mainly due to surprise and fatigue; I simply tossed it to the small ring and pulled it to the top cog).

Big ring until the first climb, then back to it until the mountain. I stayed on the small ring through the hills of Otter, than mostly big ring coming back. The larger cogs, even with a 53t front, kept things smooth, and in the back of my mind, Chrome Molly was saying "keep the cadence and don't get bogged down." The short time I had Spaghetti Legs in sight, I noticed he rides that way.

Got the Garmin data, and I was surprised at 43.4 max speed.. I've been faster, but on straight downhills with little risk. To run in the upper 30's, low 40's, on the kind of twisties we had, I have to admit I probably should have laid on some more braking.

After last year, descending in the rain, I was just overjoyed to 1-be drying out from the sweaty climb and 2-be on dry road. It was great fun. I will admit, everywhere the sign said to slow down, I did, so I'm not a total idiot. My main thought was "I would love to see Chrome Molly and ldmataya doing this." I also knew Doc was somewhere behind me, gracefully carving down the mountain. I've followed him on this descent, and he is as smooth as they come.

One of the ladies afterwards told me she "always wanted to get a speeding ticket on the Parkway, on a bike...." This year would have been the one for that. The Parkway descent was fun, and of course, Hwy 43 a bit hair-raising, glad I put my gloves back on, to keep a grip on the brake levers. I released the QR's at the top, so I could hold the levers about 1/2 way "in" on the descent.

Kudos to the event for having people out there sweeping up wet leaves and scraping the red clay away. At times on the back end, I felt like a Red Clay Rambler! There is no better support, year in, year out, than this event, IMO.

Just after the first rest stop, we had a long downhill, and the slope from the fields on our R had water running across the road, probably 1/4" to 1/2" which is a lot of water. It was fun, and then I saw the 18-wheeler coming up the hill at us. The guy in front of me was from Columbia, and we laughed as we got a horizontal shower at 30 mph. I'm so glad the field on our R was not a cow pasture.

After a day of rain in Greensboro, and then rain, muck, etc in Lynchburg, my RD was a bit "cranky." My first miles this year on the small ring, very glad I trained on the big ring on every hill, into the wind, etc. I sure needed it.

"What am I doing here?" moments:
1-That first R turn and hard climb, well before the mountain, but it's a nearly exact foretelling of things to come, and begins, for me, the self-doubt. It is the "Welcome to Thunder Ridge" moment for the entire field. Things get so quiet, so fast.

2-The last 200 yards before you see the mountain-side rest stop. You've been waiting for this rest stop, and are starting to think you are in worse shape than you thought. Boom! There it is.

3-The first "Hill of Otter." I mean, you know it's coming. You are well off the mountain. You just left a really nice rest stop. You get a little downhill. You have fooled yourself into thinking you've recovered from the long climb. You actually have, but your legs wake up and complain on that one, to remind you of who is the boss.

Topped off a really nice weekend for me. I started in Greensboro NC on Friday night, met up with crank_addict and iab, saw some C&V glitterati and their bikes. Peter Weigle brought a 1-week old build, and on the Sat AM ride, he wiped out on a steel RR crossing. We were soaked, but it was a nice little ride, the bikes there were really high end, and the parking lot swapping/buying was "active," to say the least. I was offered both a Medici and a Masi for decent prices, and watched a pile of Challenge Paris-Rubaix tires go "unchallenged" while I was there. The Classic Rendezvous, while suffering a bit from the weather, had some really nice stuff, and some really nice guys. crank_addict sported a 1985 Ochsner that was truly NOS. iab was showing a 1925 Frejus. 900-mile trip for them, shows what they're made of. Good stuff.

Thunder Ridge found my shoes still a bit wet, as well as my gloves, but if you ride Thunder Ridge, you are going to experience that, anyway. We got wet from the water on the roads, the aforementioned "shower" by spray, and of course, perspiration on the climb. Then, you "blow dry" on the descent, and the sun was so nice, it nearly dried my skull cap, gloves, and bandana out at the 62-mile rest stop.

All in all, a nice day and weekend. Superb(e) hospitality from Spaghetti Legs, good riding, good folks. I had little appetite after the ride, but when I stopped for gas, the Nutty Buddy in the freezer was calling my name. I left the bike on the car rack, and will simply wash the bike and the car at the self-serve car wash today, as it will need a complete tear-down.

Doc's Pelizolli was amazing. I know it's filthy now, but who better to tear it down and dry it out then rccardr? No one. I did not expect to be doing any trading or buying, but Spaghetti Legs had a saddle I needed, and some bits, so I'm on the hunt for the items he needs, and will get them ASAP.

Now, to get an Ironman for one of my recent acquaintances, and get him convinced for next year. Also, to touch bases with the people from my area that I talked into (with help) doing the Ridge this year. I highly doubt one of them made it, but I'm quite sure the other 4 probably, once they got over the "this is a real hill" shock, gutted it out. And lose 15 lbs for the Dairyland Dare and keep it off for next year! Would be great to see seedsbelize once more, and Hadley, and bring some more people together.

RT out. Thanks to everyone who made my weekend so good. I feel selfish.

PS: The scenery was just great. No clouds, so mountain vistas all the time. I stopped at the last overlook; you don't pass up a picture like that just to save 5 min. on the mountain. The rolling farmland early on was as green as you get from the recent rains.

No reason to miss this view, as agreed by many....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-21-18 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 07:53 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)

Another great ride in the books, my fifth time. Every year is a little different for me, mainly driven by the weather and my conditioning. Had high hopes for an easy ride, having lost 30 pounds since January first, but the temps, rainy days beforehand and high humidity made it a tough (but worthwhile- after all, it's supposed to be a challenge) day.

Many thanks to Hugh (SpaghettiLegs) for the hospitality. Nice to finally meet SeedsBelize and his BiL. Always a pleasure to spend time with Robbie. Seypat and I ran into each other at almost every rest stop but never rode together. Vageries of the Ridge, I guess.

Bike was filthy afterwards and will require a total teardown, but that's just a pleasant afternoon's entertainment. If the weather's nice I'll do it out on the screened porch. Meanwhile my 3 year old grandson is giggling upstairs, so will post some pics and see what kind of mischief he and Mrs. Doc are getting into.
Old 05-21-18, 09:33 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
I was also back there in the second kids gym. I used the pad below the .climbing wall as a mattress.
Maybe there was more people in there. There was a lady and 2 men back in that area close to the bathroom on the back wall. I was close to the entry door along the wall. There was another younger male in the front chamber along the back wall. He had a white modern bike with him. If you were one of the men back in the bathroom chamber, then I probably did meet you coming in/out of the bathroom.
Old 05-21-18, 10:56 AM
seypat

I heard a lot of people commenting on how this was the first year in a while that they have been able to actually see the views. They are usually blocked out by rain, fog, etc.

Between the 62 and 65 SAGs I would get within 50 yards of Doc, but couldn't catch him. That was me back there yelling "car up/back." I had to stay at the 65 for a little bit after he left because of the cramps. That last 10 is no picnic either. Lot of momentum killers.

I thought I had seen it all, but a couple of riders proved me wrong. I had a bathroom break at that left turn after the descent to the Peaks Of Otter. (Peaks Of Otter State Park) I make the left and start climbing that hill headed towards the start of the S curve descents. 3 younger females and 3 younger males in front of me. I'm telling them to spread out because the curves are coming. In front of us about 200 yards are 2 more young females first timers followed by an elderly couple (70+) in a car. The two females are terrified. They are creeping around the corners with the codgers/car about 5 yards off their back. My group quickly rolls up on the procession. Instead of staying single file with spacing, the 3 males roll up next to the females and crowd them onto the shoulder. Unbelievable! Then some more autos come up behind me. Those 2 girls creep the whole way though all of the curves. The Eldery Couple will roll right up on them then jam on the brakes which causes the rest of the procession to do the same. We finally get through the curves to that long straight. The front 2 are still creeping and one of them decides to "take the lane." Moves over in the left tire groove about 2 feet from the line. The car is trying to pass but is afraid to now. The 3 males are now in front of the females sitting on the car's bumper. I have passed the females and have created a buffer between them and what's in front. Suddenly, one of the males decides to pass the car. He shoots out into the oncoming lane and gives it a go. He passes the car and the 2 creepers. I'm like "WTF?" As soon as he gets around the car, one of the other males takes off and gives it a go as well. I quickly shoot up and block the 3rd male from going. "Don't even think about it! See that rise coming up? After that rise we have another short down then we turn left. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose. It's not worth it." When the 2nd rider goes past the female taking the lane, she realizes she is holding up traffic. She moves to the shoulder. The Elderly Couple quickly shoots by and gets out of the mess. Then 3 or 4 autos from BEHIND us quickly roll by. I look at the guy I blocked and shake my head. The 2 passing riders have only made about 100 yards on the group including the creepers. I drop the hammer, go around the creepers, and we quickly catch the passers going up the rise. I go around them as we head down to that turn so I can slow the group down for that turn. That is a sharp slow turn. As we start into the turn, 2 of the males are going too fast and roll up on the left of me. As we enter the turn, they have to take a line that takes them from the left part of the lane to the shoulder. This cuts me and the riders behind me off and forces us to come to a near stop. I scream, "Dudes, watch what you are doing!" It just came out. Now we are on that hilly road headed for the 62 SAG. One of the creeping ladies was tiny. She would pass all of us on the upside then creep down the descent in the middle of the road. It would kill our run up momentum. I'm thinking, "Come on! Get your @ss over so we can carry some speed into that next hill." It was like that all of the way to the 62 SAG.

Last edited by seypat; 05-21-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 11:49 AM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thanks to all for the report and the inspiration. I need to do this ride, lots of people in the area to visit and I really have to find out if SW Wisconsin climbing prepares you. Make room next year. Medical issues keeping me off the bike for now, but it will all heal.
Old 05-21-18, 01:30 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by ldmataya View Post
Thanks to all for the report and the inspiration. I need to do this ride, lots of people in the area to visit and I really have to find out if SW Wisconsin climbing prepares you. Make room next year. Medical issues keeping me off the bike for now, but it will all heal.
If you are from SW WI, talk to RobbieTunes. He is the man behind the Dairyland Dare. He will tell you all you need to know.
Old 05-21-18, 01:48 PM
seypat

We have a new photo uploader, sweet! In that case here is/was this year's ride. I will be replacing the Campy seatpost. For me, a PITA to mount the saddle and get it adjusted. Otherwise, really nice ride. BTW Robbie, I know you are using an IM for that new build of yours. My 56cm IM frame/fork/headset/bb set weighed 7.45lbs on the Post Office scales. This 56cm frame/fork/headset/bb set weighed 6.12 lbs on the same scales. Just saying.

Last edited by seypat; 05-21-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 05:00 PM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

Bikes: 1959 Religh Sports. 1984 Klein Performance. 1985 Raleigh Racing USA Competition. 1987 Ironman (Master). 1988 Not Your Daddy's Ironman. 1989 Centurion Carbon-R. 1999/00 Serotta Atlanta. 2017 Wraith Hustle. 2018 Wraith Paycheck.

Originally Posted by ldmataya View Post
Thanks to all for the report and the inspiration. I need to do this ride, lots of people in the area to visit and I really have to find out if SW Wisconsin climbing prepares you.

It does, and I've seen you ride, so you're good.-RT

Make room next year. Medical issues keeping me off the bike for now, but it will all heal.
The Dare is basically the post-mountain Thunder Ridge, just a lot more of it. Doc has said the same.

There is an initial climb that is about half as long as the climb out of the Wyoming Valley, but steeper. That sort of "sets you up" for your day, or rather, humbles you to the endeavor.

The mountain climb, with a positive description, would be called a "slog." Others call it a "grind." What it really is, is a 1.5 to 2.0 hour climb that can be done by most cyclists with the proper gearing, but takes a lot out of your legs.

By the way, my friend who rode across the US took about 10 hours to do the 75. She is not fast on hills, can run 17 steady on the flats. She said it was harder than any part of her cross-country ride. She and the other 3 were elated enough at the finish to say "next year, for sure."
Old 05-22-18, 05:17 PM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

I heard a lot of people commenting on how this was the first year in a while that they have been able to actually see the views. They are usually blocked out by rain, fog, etc.

"Come on! Get your @ss over so we can carry some speed into that next hill." It was like that all of the way to the 62 SAG.
I won't recap Pat's entire post, but there were more riders this year who created enemies of cars than I can recall. The patience and tolerance of the drivers in the area was remarkable.

It is fortunate that I managed to get past the people for whom the extra descent caution is prudent, as they are pretty hard to get around if they are all over the road (and many, many riders seemed to think an organized road means that's OK....).

I was behind a 6'5" or so giant that was descending well, but all over the road, and slightly slower than myself. I asked him to either get off the brakes, or please let me by. He said "sorry" (he was actually on his phone) and then released his brakes and was pretty much gone. I used him as a "marker" on my descent, figuring if he was upright, I would be, too. Had a nice chat with him at the end. His kids kept calling, and he simply lost track of where he was, didn't know there was anyone behind him.

There was another pair I kept leapfrogging, and he had the swivel-head disease, constantly taking his eyes off the road, and the bike moved a lot with his head. They insisted on side-by-side riding, and finally I asked him if he was going to talk or ride. He snorted and took off. I simply waited for the hills. It took me 3 hills to drop him far enough that I did not see him again, and of course, that probably took a toll on both of us.

I was also buzzed pretty close by a guy in green and white, and his partner in black and pink. No warning, maybe 6" past on the left. Saw him a lot, too, on the climbs. Seems the ability to descend is inverse to the ability to climb with some folks?

Perhaps the large group and well-organized ride spurred some riders to think it was a closed course, as many rode like it. I've seen it in other places, too, so it's not the venue.

The Dare does have a bit better behaved riders, and I attribute that to the large number who probably ride the same type of roads... Thunder Ridge, for many riders, is "the" ride they drive hours to get to, and like a mall parking lot at Christmas, common sense often vacates the premises.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-23-18 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 05:21 PM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

Robbie, I know you are using an IM for that new build of yours. My 56cm IM frame/fork/headset/bb set weighed 7.45lbs on the Post Office scales. This 56cm frame/fork/headset/bb set weighed 6.12 lbs on the same scales. Just saying.
You understand, of course, that "not your daddy's Ironman" has to sort of be, uh, an Ironman, right?

Don't worry. I have a plan.
Old 05-22-18, 06:48 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
You understand, of course, that "not your daddy's Ironman" has to sort of be, uh, an Ironman, right?

Don't worry. I have a plan.
I must have missed that. It wouldn't be the first time, or the second. How did the couple you prepared the bike for/gave a big cassette to do? Is that the lady that rode across the US? I'm going over my data trying to figure out the sudden cramps. Once it gets hot, I struggle no matter the event. Maybe I wasn't drinking enough. I was trying, but that HEED is the nastiest sports drink I have ever tasted. I was drinking about a bottle between SAGs. I was also taking a SaltStick about every 45 minutes as well as pickles and Mustard at the stops. I was standing/pedaling 30 seconds every 5 minutes once I hit the Parkway. That usually helps, but seem to have the opposite affect this year. The quads were getting tight, but holding off. I had been towing this rider for about a mile. (if you can call 5-6mph a paceline ) He was struggling and kept asking if there was a SAG coming up. "Sure is, between 32-33 miles. Almost there, a few more turns, up that next ridge, blah, blah, blah." Just like you said, it suddenly came into view. I said, "there it is, we made it!" He says, "Ok, thanks." I then stand to stretch the legs and they locked hard. I managed to get off the bike without going down. Tried to straighten up, but no go. I had to do this sideways crab walk thing to the SAG.
Old 05-22-18, 07:03 PM
seypat

Here is some of my data points for the ride:
Avg. HR was 134bpm.
It peaked at 160 on the first half of the mountain climb.( I got a ride to the top)
It looked like I was loafing, yet I bonked/cramped halfway up. It shows what the mountain will do to you if you are not worthy.

On a positive note, it says I hit 50.55mph somewhere on the descent! Don't know about that one. Do better tires make that much of a difference? I had a set of the Conti Grand Prix Classics instead of the usual Panaracers. Freshly greased Tricolor hubs as well. Maybe so.

Last edited by seypat; 05-22-18 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 07:11 PM
Chrome Molly 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Living vicariously through you all... need to make it there for this ride. Must flip my Almonzo/SOTR coin early next year, though the SOTR side is getting lighter...

Our MS event last Saturday raised $5k for the charity, so that is a little consolation.
Old 05-22-18, 08:48 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Hunh. I guess I missed all the danger this year. The Long Climb was, as usual, a bit of a grind, but it does teach one patience. And humility.
Expected some fog coming down off the mountain, as the temps dropped somewhat, but it was clear.
Rt 43 (what I think of as The Second Big Descent, But With Fangs) was in better shape than I've ever seen it. Despite the shouted warnings from the roadside volunteers about gravel on the road (didn't see any) and the 2017 resurfacing with a quality level below lowest bid, old 43 was not tough at all.

Did pass a whole bunch of people on the way down, but they were just being cautious.
I think.
Oh, wait, let me check the Cateye to see what my top speed was.
Aha! That explains it.
Old 05-23-18, 05:44 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, '86 Gazelle champion mondial, '81? Grandis, '82? Tommasini, '83 Peugeot PFN10

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Dang, that sure looks like fun! Nice reports, nice pics. I'm from Virginia, spent quite a bit of time in those mountains, er, I mean them mount'ns. Even rode parts of the Skyline Drive with a loaded UO8, trip terminated by heavy rain. The pics here take me back.
Old 05-23-18, 07:42 AM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

OK, since we're doing data.

I don't often, but this time, figured I'd go with a cadence and HR monitor. I even took a water bottle. I mounted a small Axiom front light, a Blackburn Twofer blinky on my jersey, Cygolite HotShot tail light on the frame, and a ProLogo U-clip light on the saddle. The Twofer did not last the ride, battery-wise. Everything else had ample juice. Car keys in a pocket on the shorts, bandanna and cleat covers in the jersey pockets, plus the seat bag with 10 GU's, tube/lever/CO2.

Probably carried 26 lbs+ rolling weight, plus water so let's make it 28. I used my back-up wheels, Origin8 hubs laced in paired spokes to Velocity Road V's. I'd have preferred the Rolf's, but the damaged rear needs re-truing.

Avg HR was 160 bpm. Appears it hovered around the average during the climb, which seemed about right. I was not exhausted at any time during the ride, just weary, of course, if that makes sense. My prep rides were all solo, and I only stop once if I ride over 50 miles, and not at all under 50. I think this got the legs a bit more ready for the hours.

I have yet to learn "no alcohol" in the lead-up days, and am glad to report no one else has, either. Plenty on Friday with crank_addict, then 3 with him on Saturday, and 2 with rccardr, seedsbelize, and Spaghetti Legs. No issues with dehydration.

No breakfast, simply a cup of 'Joe at Spaghetti Legs' rider hostel. I did have 2x 1/4 PB&J's, some Craisins, and pickles at rest stop 2, and a full PB&J at 62 miles, otherwise only water. I tried some Skittles at one stop, but did not have the saliva. I drank a little water during the ride, not much, from the bottle, but tried to get 8oz at each stop. In keeping with past tradition, the "real bonus" stop after 4-5 of the hills of Otter had me chugging 1/2 a cold Coke, and boy, did it hit the spot. I took 10 GU's, gave out 4 at the start, and ended with 3. I ate one at the climb's rest stop, another where I took the pic, and the third was while riding later, just to see if I could do it while underway. I brought 4 chocolate covered energy bars, but tried to unwrap one at the top of the mountain, and the heat kind of made that a no-go. I gave them to the volunteer, she was savvy and put them in a zip-loc bag and put it in the ice bucket, figured the chocolate would firm up and someone would be able to benefit from it.

Glad to report that the Prologo Scratch Pro saddle was kind, some Body Glide and Cannondale Climb bike shorts helped a lot. I refrained from bibs, as they tend to wedgy after about 3 hours, and I sure didn't need that.

Peak HR was 215 bpm. Looks like it went above 200 several times in the first 30 minutes, and then several times again in the last 30 minutes. Go figure.

In speaking with Hugh ("Legs"), he said the 254 bpm I showed for 22 seconds a couple of weeks ago is likely inflated by some variance in the monitor. That may well be the case, but my treadmill tests at ECU were pretty much the same, as my PVC's tended to kick in around 200+. On their treadmill, I ran 225 bpm for 15 minutes (back when I was a much younger man). So, either my HR monitor is a bit off, or I'm just one of those people with a rapid heart rate, or that thing's getting ready to go nuclear.

Speed-wise, I climbed slower than previous years, right under 8 mph, but a lot more comfortably, taking Doc's advice to "groove it."

Average cadence was 68, which disappoints. I figure I can pick up 1-2 mph once I get into the 80's. Since I've been trying for about 12 years, I should be able to hit those cadences when I turn about 102 years old.

My position in the pack must have been fairly established, as the wholesale passing that Doc and I have done in the past was simply not happening. I climbed with pretty much the same people, or leap-frogged likewise. I do prefer when the riders "settle in," so you can have some conversations with them.

Descending, thankfully, was solo after the giant guy in front of me sped up. I simply descended alone, following his mark. There were few people anywhere in sight in front, and of course, I did not look back.

On the many smaller descents, much like the Dairyland Dare, one would hear the echo of carbon wheels as they passed, only to hear the same sound, muted and chopped, as you passed them on the hills. Again, like the Dare, this repeated itself until the gap you created up the hills was too great for them to make up on the down sides.

I rode Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 23's, gumwalls, and while they are very pretty, I think next year will be 25's. I've ridden this on Conti GP4000SII 25's, Tufo C S33 Pro 24's, and the Vittoria 23's. The Tufo were probably the least grippy, but it rained hard on that descent, so it's not objective. The Conti's were very smooth (on a Merckx), and the Vittoria's were smooth enough, but towards the end, I was sort of wishing they were 25's. Dry pavement descending was simply great, like Doc said.

Any hotter, I'd have been a bit uncomfortable, I think. My shorts were wet from the ground water and passing vehicles, and never really dried out, neither did my feet or gloves. My jersey dried out on the mountain descents, and never really soaked it up. No salt on the helmet straps or anywhere on the jersey.

Bike gets torn down Saturday when I get back from Michigan. It's clean now, on the outside. BB and seat tube need air, and I noticed a "detent" on the headset, so I'm quite sure I'll be buying one of those.

Well, if you wanted info, there it be.

Here is some of my data points for the ride:
Avg. HR was 134bpm.
It peaked at 160 on the first half of the mountain climb.( I got a ride to the top)
It looked like I was loafing, yet I bonked/cramped halfway up. It shows what the mountain will do to you if you are not worthy.

On a positive note, it says I hit 50.55mph somewhere on the descent! Don't know about that one. Do better tires make that much of a difference? I had a set of the Conti Grand Prix Classics instead of the usual Panaracers. Freshly greased Tricolor hubs as well. Maybe so.
Old 05-23-18, 07:48 AM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
Dang, that sure looks like fun! Nice reports, nice pics. The pics here take me back.
Now, if we can just get you back, get our Dare folks to come, we can really do it up right. There were only two tandems this year. One captain kept bragging about their great climbing feats, but his stoker wife looked at me and just rolled her eyes. Still, she told me they averaged 5 mph on the mountain, and that is a solid, solid deal on that climb, on a loaded touring tandem. I figured they were bringing 60 lbs of bike/gear, minimum, up that grade.
Old 05-23-18, 08:50 AM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

Found these:

At the bottom of one of the small hills.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-23-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 08:58 AM
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo

Age, steel, and gumwalls rule.
We know the deal.

Old 05-23-18, 10:00 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
You missed this one. Apologies for riding the non C+V bike - at least the paint is C+V friendly.

N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '89 Bianchi Giro, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '85 Moser, '8_ Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service