Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tires for a Revive???

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Tires for a Revive???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 12:57 PM
El Pigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires for a Revive???

What would be the best tires to put on a Revive? I always have to reinflate mine. It seems they don't keep the air but I can't find any puncture!!! I have the stock tires on my bike right now and I'm pretty sure there are better options than these...

Thanks
Old 02-01-18, 01:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I think they take stock 20" tires. VERIFY. Pretty much any low tread 20" (406) tire should work.

Schwalbe makes a 20" Marathon Plus tire, I think, which would be a good tire for the bike.

As far as loosing air. That may be a tube thing, but probably a slow leak.

Mark where the valve is on the tire (or choose to align some text on the tire with the valve). Then, remove the tube, and blow up to 2x or 3x normal size. Listen and feel for a leak. If you can't find it, then slowly run the tube through a bucket of water looking for bubbles. Pay attention to the valve.

If you find a leak, note whether it appears to be on the tire side or rim side of the tube. On the rim side look for places where the rim tape can be bad.

On the tire side, start at the valve, and measure around the tire to where you found the leak (possibly each direction if you didn't track). And use that to guide looking for the cause of the flats.

Tires (tubes) do naturally slowly loose air. But, it should take a couple of weeks, at least, to have much of a noticeable difference in pressure.

I presume "thornproof" tubes will stay inflated better than standard tubes, although I'm not a huge fan of those for a couple of reasons, in part changing the internal pressures in the tire/tube, and being harder to patch.
Old 02-01-18, 06:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
All bike tires lose air. My road tires lose about 10-20 psi per day. The heavier the tire and tube, the slower they'll go flat; but if you leave them in the garage for a few weeks they'll all go soft.

What tires to get? Look on the sidewalls for the current tire sizes. The sidewalls will read something like 35x406. USE THIS NUMBER, not other numbers which may be on the tire such as 20x1.3 . Sometimes those other numbers can be misleading. The last number is the rim size. You HAVE to get a tire with the same rim size. The first number is the width in millimeters. Width can vary a bit in either direction. To get an idea how much wider you can go, see how much clearance the current tires have. For best air retention (see above,) get heavy touring tires and heavy thornproof tubes; they'll hold air better but have more rolling resistance.
Old 02-04-18, 07:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
It is not the tire. The rate at which the tires deflate is determined by loss of air from the tube. Have you leak checked the tube including at the valve?
I use the cheap 20" and 700C presta tubes sold by Niagara Cycle for around $3.50 each and they don't require re-inflation more than about every 14 days. I check them more often that that (thumb method). I use 20 X 1.4" tires on the front of the trike and 700C X 23 tires on the rear. I wouldn't touch thorn proof tubes with a 10 foot pole. They add significant weight right where you don't want it - on the wheels and are hard to install on narrow tires.
Old 02-27-18, 10:06 PM
Buzzmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has a Revive. Strange, but cool. (The bike, not the wife!). Over the past couple of years I’ve switched entirely to Schwalbe Marathon tires AND tubes on all our bikes and trikes. I was used to airing up my tires at least a couple of times a week with standard issue tubes from my LBS. The Schwalbe tubes will hold air for a month or longer without losing more than a few psi. They are amazing! 5000 miles on my Stratus XP without a single flat. Schwalbe sells a tube with a Schrader valve, but it has a threaded metal stem and retainer ring like the typical Presta valve. Best of both worlds. You can order online direct from Schwalbe, but I get mine from Hostel Shoppe to support a bent dealer - and they are great to work with. Happy Trails!
Old 02-28-18, 12:04 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What size tires and how much air pressure do you use?

When I was riding road bikes with 100-120 psi, I used too top them off before every single ride. Not that I'm riding recumbents with 35 mm tires, I pump them up to about 75 psi and just give them a squeeze test before riding. It takes about 2 weeks for the air to bleed back down to around 50 psi. That's when I top them up again. (I don't like to pump tires.).

I'm not picky about inner tube brands. When I order bike parts I frequently add a few inner tubes to the order because it doesn't affect the shipping cost. Another thing I like about ordering tubes over the internet is that I can get the exact size and valve length that I want. My local bike shops aren't likely to be able to do that.