Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

What pedals do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 03:48 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
What pedals do you use?

The current plan is to stick with mtb shoes and spd pedals. Is it better to go for pedals with the extra platform rather than without? I'm leaning towards getting them since I don't want an ultra stiff racing shoe and the only cost is an extra ~70g.

I like Shimano because their stuff tends to be reliabile, but are there any others that work well for long distance? Many of my long rides are gravel which can be a little muddy during rainy season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
61+QlH6crbL._SY355_.jpg (16.7 KB, 298 views)
61Nlqd1jfTL._SY355_.jpg (18.3 KB, 300 views)
Old 02-15-18, 04:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I went with standard SPD for all of my riding (commuting, centuries, century commutes, etc.) There are quite a few different pedals available.

I recently snagged a used pair of XTR pedals. Replaced the bearings and repacked, and they seem nice.

My Wellgo pedals have also been good, although I don't think I've disassembled them yet. I do like Shimano's system to disassemble their pedals.

The lightest of the SPD pedals are XPEDO pedals with titanium spindles. I prefer either R-Force, or M-Force-8. Make sure you choose pedals with tapered axles (and bearings not bushings). I did, however, have a the spindle nuts on my R-Force pedals unscrew once, but it was an easy repair.

Oh, Wellgo now has a fairly skeletal model (W41), quite a bit cheaper than the XPEDO pedals.

I don't worry about platform size. The standard pedals (and shoes) hold the feet secure enough.

Last edited by CliffordK; 02-15-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 04:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Since you are interested in pedals for SPD cleats and also platforms, you might be interested in a comparison of a couple models I wrote up some time back. That mix of SPD and platform is popular for touring, thus I posted it on the touring forum. It compares Shimano M324 and Shimano A530 pedals, at this link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...30-pedals.html

This website uses different software than it used to use, the photos are now shown twice instead of once.
Old 02-15-18, 04:52 PM
CliffordK

Each person is different. I used to be a long-time toeclip user. But, unfortunately toe clips and SPD pedals don't work well together. There are few cleat adapters available such as made by Winwood (no longer made, but some are available), but truthfully, I like my SPDs, and so the adapters haven't gotten any use.

I suppose for touring, you have to carefully choose the shoes. I snagged a pair of Specialized tennis shoe type SPD cleat shoes. Comfortable to walk in. Some toe flexibility, and works well on the bike (until I broke the plastic cleat plate, although I still ride them with the crack).

So far most of my rides have been mostly on the bike, not walking, so not enough need for flat pedals, I just use the bike pedals.

Since I do long distance bike commuting, I have left walking shoes at two of my destinations.

Some of the Shimano pedals including the XTR pedals can be disassembled with ordinary wrenches, no special tool needed. You will need small wrenches for the cones, but not necessarily cone wrenches.
Old 02-15-18, 05:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I don't think the extra platform does anything
Old 02-15-18, 05:33 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I went with standard SPD for all of my riding (commuting, centuries, century commutes, etc.) There are quite a few different pedals available.

I recently snagged a used pair of XTR pedals. Replaced the bearings and repacked, and they seem nice.

My Wellgo pedals have also been good, although I don't think I've disassembled them yet. I do like Shimano's system to disassemble their pedals.

The lightest of the SPD pedals are XPEDO pedals with titanium spindles. I prefer either R-Force, or M-Force-8. Make sure you choose pedals with tapered axles (and bearings not bushings). I did, however, have a the spindle nuts on my R-Force pedals unscrew once, but it was an easy repair.

Oh, Wellgo now has a fairly skeletal model (W41), quite a bit cheaper than the XPEDO pedals.

I don't worry about platform size. The standard pedals (and shoes) hold the feet secure enough.
Standard SPD = with or without platform?

Century commute?!
Old 02-15-18, 05:35 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Since you are interested in pedals for SPD cleats and also platforms, you might be interested in a comparison of a couple models I wrote up some time back. That mix of SPD and platform is popular for touring, thus I posted it on the touring forum. It compares Shimano M324 and Shimano A530 pedals, at this link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...30-pedals.html

This website uses different software than it used to use, the photos are now shown twice instead of once.
Thanks.
Old 02-15-18, 05:54 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Standard SPD = with or without platform?

Century commute?!
None of mine have platforms. That limits them to mostly SPD shoes only (except for perhaps < 1 mile rides which are rare). But, the stability is generally derived from the shoes, so I don't think a platform style is needed unless one expects to be riding in street shoes quite a bit.

The XPEDO pedals (R-Force Ti & M-Force-8 Ti) are extremely skeletal, no platforms.

Double sided are definately easier to get into, and perhaps offers a touring cyclist some redundancy in case half the pedal breaks.

Well, actually not quite century rides...
My typical ride around town is 20 to 40 miles.
But, I semi-regularly ride from Eugene to Portland, which comes in at about 145 to 200 miles depending on the route, and makes for a long day's ride.
Old 02-15-18, 06:07 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I use wellgo mg-8 a single sided spd pedal made out magnesium, they’ve treated me well for 2 seasons and a couple of tours, and a fair number of brevets. I thought single sided spd pedals would be annoying but I got used to it pretty quick.
Old 02-15-18, 11:50 PM
siebengang

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bebop

I really like the Bebop pedals for randonneuring. Compared to SPD they have a much more precise and hard-wearing pedal-cleat interface and lots of very smooth float. That makes them feel very stable and almost like Speedplay road pedals.

Disadvantages: not as good in mud and snow as SPD and a little worse to walk in (but totally ok). Unfortunately they become very hard to find nowadays...
Old 02-16-18, 01:21 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
The A530s are great if you want to vary foot positions now and then.

I usually run M540s.
Old 02-16-18, 05:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Shimano M324 Combination Pedals
Old 02-16-18, 10:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
I prefer the extra float of Speedplay Frog pedals, but MTB (aka SPD) shoes are a must for controls and rest breaks - at least for me.

Platforms on a long distance bike? When I'm tired, and it's dark, the last thing I need to worry about is which side of the pedal is up. Stomp, click, and ride!
Old 02-17-18, 05:00 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Jan Heine uses Shimano pd-a600

Last edited by kingston; 02-19-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 11:49 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Old school...
Attached Images
pedal.jpg (236.3 KB, 255 views)
Old 02-18-18, 09:46 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Shimano road pedals in various incarnations.
I selected these pedals after walking into a bike store and going "Doh! I need pedals!" and that's what they sold me.
I have yet to hear of any reason to select them or to avoid them, so I've just stayed with them.
My stoker for 4 years used Shimano mountain pedals.
I know riders that use several other brands and styles, all seem satisfied with what they have.
Old 02-19-18, 10:14 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Time ATAC. Easy engagement/disengagement, solid connection, great float (ESSENTIAL for my knees), ultra reliable, ZERO maintenance (at least in the 20 years I've been using them). I've found one downside: cleats are expensive and don't last super long. Oh well.

SP
OC, OR
Old 02-19-18, 04:26 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I am reconsidering the mtb pedals for these. While dual sided is nice, I'm not sure we unclip/clip in enough for it to be worth the weight. The 93g weight saving over XTR M9020 and 118g over XT M8020 is tempting. I'm not a weight weenie for frame components but as a higher cadence cyclist I can't help but wonder if removing this rotating weight would help on long rides.
Old 02-19-18, 04:37 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I am reconsidering the mtb pedals for these. While dual sided is nice, I'm not sure we unclip/clip in enough for it to be worth the weight. The 93g weight saving over XTR M9020 and 118g over XT M8020 is tempting. I'm not a weight weenie for frame components but as a higher cadence cyclist I can't help but wonder if removing this rotating weight would help on long rides.
The wellgo mg-8 I recommended earlier is light, 242g/pair is what they advertise. Apparently they were even made with Ti axles for lightweight riders but I'm not that so I've never looked for them. I get them from ebay, seems like the selection changes a lot and prices have gone up but they're still around 60$US shipped. The single sided thing never bothers me.
Old 02-19-18, 04:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I am reconsidering the mtb pedals for these...
I have them on most of my road bikes.
Old 02-19-18, 04:49 PM
Flamme Rouge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look for something with a decent sized platform to minimize hot spots (plus a stiff-soled shoe). Shimano pedals are nice because replacement cleats are pretty inexpensive.

I've been riding Campy pro-fits for close to 20 years. I *never* service them except to clear gunk away from the locking mechanism... Have never touched the bearings. Thought I wanted to change a few years ago, to try something a little lighter, but after a week I went back. Single-sided so a bit tricky to clip in, until you get the hang of it, but that's not really an issue for long distance riding.
Old 02-19-18, 05:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
That's interesting! I thought he was wedded to early Looks or Times or something.

I went to PD-A600s myself when lightening up my rando bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-19-18, 08:01 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's interesting! I thought he was wedded to early Looks or Times or something...
To be fair, Jan doesn't limit himself to one type of pedal. He mentions his Dromarti/A600 combo in the comments section of this blogpost on his 24 hr. 600k in 2015, and you can see the A600's in many pictures of his bikes on the blog and in the magazine. The latest company line since he started selling MKS pedals is that all pedals are good, and his JP Weigle for last year's Concours de Machines has titanium egg-beaters.
Old 02-20-18, 06:13 AM
cdkarp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano XT pedals. MTB shoes are easier to walk around in.
Old 02-20-18, 12:57 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
SPD M540 pedals with MTB shoes. The cage around the M540 pedals allow the tread on MTB shoes to make contact with them which results in greater shoe to pedal contact area. It's much more comfortable than having the retainer put pressure to the middle of your foot.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.