Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Oval chainring review

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Oval chainring review

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 05:45 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Oval chainring review

Just wanted to share my newest drivetrain upgrade and i think it is very suitable for fatbikes that are stuck in sand or snow at low speed.

My bike came with 30T round chainring and it was fine all summer. But in snow at very low speed the uneven power delivery between dead (feet at 12 and 6 o clock) and working points (feet at 3 and 9 o clock) resulted in the tire slipping out at power point and being stuck at dead point. At faster paces and without being stuck this is less noticeable since one coasts in between power points (like a gasoline engine flywheel).

I reseached and ended up with an Absoluteblack oval chainring. Research indicated this is a bit better than the OneUp and other products since it is more oval (competitors are more round). I went with a 26T.

Now after some more snow and ice I can say that first yes I use the lower gear a lot and power delivery is very smooth and even. This helps a lot in snow or any low-speed condition.

Here my old and new gearing

And before someone digs out old Shimano biopace sentiments, this is a completely different design (among others 90° off the Biopace).

And I'm not saying you have to use one, I'm just reporting my experience.

If you want to throw in your experience, please include what band and model you used because this makes a difference. IMHO AB really has a great design and other designs may not be as good and influence the experience. ebay was the cheapest at $45.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 02-17-18 at 05:48 PM.