Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions from someone who doesn't know.

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 02-28-18, 02:26 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ok, up front, I'm a roadie. My brother rides a bent and won't consider a road bike. I'm wondering if most that ride a bent started with the bent and if so why? And, if started on road bike and went to bent, why that?

Also, my brother has spinal bifida and has gotten to where riding his bent causes him a lot of pain. He started having pain after he had a heart attack and fell when he passed out thinking he may have hit his tail bone (he's had the bypass 3 years ago and is completely recovered). He says the saddle is worn out but he won't pay the $350 for a new one and he isn't sure he wouldn't still have pain if he did. As we all know, cycling gear can cost a lot of money. I did some searching and could not find anywhere to buy bent saddles, not to mention one that is less than $350 so any suggestions on that front would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-28-18, 02:58 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You really don't give enough information to give you a rational answer. What make and model is he riding now?

You mention it having a saddle. I really haven't seen a recumbent with a regular saddle but there may be some out there. Most bent bikes and most trikes use a mesh seat. Some have a combination of a foam seat with a mesh back. You probably can find someone on Bentrideronline who can suggest where to get an existing seat repaired or replaced for far less than $350. Seats are generally not interchangeable between brands. Are you sure the bike is properly adjusted for his x-seam (recumbent way of sizing)? It makes a lot of difference and riding a poorly set up recumbent can be awful painful. They sure are a godsend when matched to your body. If his pain came on suddenly, he might need to try a different brand or style.

Not many of us started out riding a recumbent because recumbent shops are not all that common and are the bikes and trikes are more expensive than a comparable road bike with the same components. I got to the point where it just got too darned uncomfortable to ride a regular road or mountain bike so tried a recumbent. That was 18 years ago and I sure am glad they exist. I remember seeing my first trike in the early 1980s but it never crossed my mind to consider buying one back then.
Old 02-28-18, 08:23 PM
Buzzmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode upright bikes for years and switched to bents a few years ago for the comfort level. No more sore neck, back, wrists, arse, or tingling fingers, etc. On an upright bike I have to stop every 30 minutes to give the backside some relief, while I can ride for hours on a bent with no discomfort at all. Bents put you in a natural position for enjoying the scenery as it goes by. Seats are generally made specifically to fit each brand, and sometimes even specific models, and they are not cheap, unfortunately. Some manufacturers sell replacement seat parts so you may get off for much less by simply replacing the mesh, or cushion etc. rather than buying a whole new seat. I appreciate your sincere inquiry, and wish you and your brother all the best. Happy Trails!
Old 02-28-18, 08:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Most of us started on uprights and moved to recumbents, for various reasons. For myself, I just got tired of being uncomfortable on my uprights, a discomfort which seemed to get worse with each passing year. I don't have any disabilities or congenital conditions. After getting them (and committing to the platform,) I discovered some of them were just plain stupid-fast. We're talking in the range of 6 mph faster for a century, in my case. It's not uncommon to hear the sentiment, "I'll never go back." I can't imagine, for instance, a cross-country ride on an upright. That wouldn't be fun, it'd be torture!

As VT wrote, you don't give enough information for us to offer any meaningful advice. Only a few of the cheapest semi-bents have saddles; in fact I'd say having a saddle disqualifies a bike from being a true recumbent. Each recumbent manufacturer makes its own seats for its own models; but often other seats can be modified to fit. Backs are funny things, what helps one might hurt another.