Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Truing stand for fatwheels with tire on

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 03-18-18, 11:20 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts

So I had some old project bikes with terribly trued wheels and since i hate truing on the bike (just no patience) I decided to buy a truing stand. so far so easy, but since i also have a fatbike, I wanted one that can take fat wheels with tires on.

The only one I found is the Park TS-4 for a bit under $400. Well, there are also DT Swiss stands for way over $1K.... none of the home-built-options really appealed to me and I also plan to work on wheels in my living room or at my desk, so doing some rigididig thing wouldn't work. i hand't really trued or built wheels before, but all i learned was that rushing it is not good.

Anyway, I bought the TS-4. i also got the TSB-4 base since the stand itself doesn't stand (and my wife throwns upon using a vice in the lving room). I'm glad i got the base since it worked well with me sitting on the couch).

I also got a dishing tool (WAG-4) since I don't 100% trust the stand to dish properly (Park also states it may need calibration and verification with dishing tool). But to my surprise the dish of th stand was spot on within margin of measuring error. It is nice to have the 2-sided feelers to at least narrow down on the dish while truing. Should cause fewer iterations with the dishing tool.

There are many better reviews on the net, so I don't delve too much into it. But for fat tires i highly recommend this one. Yes the price sucks, but it is solid. Before even thinking of fatbikes I researched stands and the cheap ones all seem to be wiggly. Unless there is some other new wheel standard for even larger wheels, I should be set for life.

I trued 4 project bike wheels with it and it went fine withing 1 mm in all specs. Those are 20 or so old steel rim wheels with galvanized (corroded) spokes on Walmart Huffy bikes., so the wheels are not great to begin with and I expected worse. In some cases the rim width even changes (feelers scraped on both sides) and some spokes were "wrinkled". so not much to work with and it still worked and was easy to do. I'm sure truing on the bike wouldn't have worked for me.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 03-18-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-18-18, 12:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I don't think you'll regret it. I think the issue with calibrating the park stands is that they do go out of calibration fairly quickly in a bike shop environment. So the calibrator tool is good to have around. I only use one caliper and flip the wheel, so the calibrator isn't as much use to me. I recently learned that the tightness of the pivot bolts is pretty important to the accuracy of these stands. If they are too loose, it allows the arms to shift from side to side.

My LBS has a TS4, it sits on a shelf in the wall in case a mechanic needs it. I made a set of adapters for a TS-2.2 that allows a wheel up to a 5" tire on a wheel to be trued. Haven't gone into production yet, it's on my list.

Last edited by unterhausen; 03-18-18 at 12:54 PM.