Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Practical Pain Management

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 08:50 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Although I don't use a cadence sensor on the LD/FG machine as it is annoying to be constantly reminded that one is in the "wrong" gear for hours at a time cadence/tempo work is the key to my endurance rides, power work in the hills, TT and HIIT speed work on the geared bikes. Oddly enough cycling is pedaling sport, training the neuro-muscular systems to pedal at "normal" supple high cadence with grunt on demand for long periods of time in what gets me up, over and done with w/o undue stress at a right smart pace.

-Bandera
Old 05-09-18, 10:04 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Although I don't use a cadence sensor on the LD/FG machine as it is annoying to be constantly reminded that one is in the "wrong" gear for hours at a time cadence/tempo work is the key to my endurance rides, power work in the hills, TT and HIIT speed work on the geared bikes. Oddly enough cycling is pedaling sport, training the neuro-muscular systems to pedal at "normal" supple high cadence with grunt on demand for long periods of time in what gets me up, over and done with w/o undue stress at a right smart pace.

-Bandera
Hear, hear. I like to train at least once a week outside the envelope of normal riding. I might try to pedal long periods at very high cadences, 115+, or I might get on a long hill and ride up it at 50 cadence a few times or do that hill at 90 a few times, both cadences I'd never climb at on a normal ride. Another fun thing is to pedal a couple 30' intervals at whatever is a higher than normal cadence for you. For me, that's 100. I'll find a road with gentle rollers and practice holding a steady 100 and steady effort for 30' by constantly shifting. I think it's fun anyway.
Old 05-13-18, 07:21 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
As the rides get longer, I learn a little more. Had a good first 400K. Finished in 20 hours. Had the usual back pain and some knee pain (those 15% grade sections are fun). Started with Ibuprofen the day before and I think it took the edge off. For the first time, I used some Deep Blue on the back and knee. It worked pretty darned well. I had just a little packet of the stuff, but next time (600K in less than a week) the whole tube is going. Stopping to stretch is a good thing. I don't think I've made enough of a point to do that. Too easy to just stay on the bike a little longer than I probably should. Ride and learn.
Old 05-14-18, 03:45 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
My current persistent pain that I haven't yet been able to get to the bottom of is toe numbness and pain. This only affects my big toe and more of the left toe than the right. Already tried changing to a slightly larger shoe with wider toe box and moved my cleats as far back as possible. It's an annoyance, but currently manageable. I have to pay close attention to my pedaling technique, try to avoid putting too much pressure on my feet unnecessarily (I notice I tend to do that when coasting or descending), and take off my shoes at every rest stop to give them a good wiggling/massaging.