Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Buying another bike for fun and commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 11:10 AM
tommilano1987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently asked a question about investing in a better lock up/commuter bike and got some great results. Thank you to everyone, as I am new here!

I have decided that I am going to buy a bike that is not a full on beater/lockup bike, but is not a full on super nice bike either. My budget is pretty much about $1000 dollars.

I'm deciding between a Wabi Classic single speed, and a Trek 1.2 9 speed endurance bike. I know, single speed vs road bike debate, but I'm not sure where I should post this to get an unbiased opinion. These bikes are nice enough that I could probably spend a few hours in the saddle once the fit is sorted out, but they're not too nice that I would baby them, which is what I currently do to my Felt road bike. Here are the pros and cons of each:

Wabi Classic (Now called Wabi Road):
Pros: Lightweight, Steel more comfy, super simple, no derailler hangers to snap, no STI levers to tempt would be thieves from taking handlebars, and supposedly they ride nicer than a lot of other bikes out there, not to mention exceptional customer service. Riding it fixed gear means if the rim brakes get funny in bad weather, I can still slow the bike down with the pedals.
Cons: really only one, is that it is a single speed. This might limit the versatility of the bike, as I might not be able to ride as long off of the same energy levels. This is really the only thing that's holding me back, since I can get a sora bike for the same price.

Trek Domane AL3 - previously called 1.2
Pros: similiar to my Felt VR30, but with simpler rim brakes, instead of Hydro-disc, meaning I can do just about all of the maintenance myself. Pretty much a simpler version of my Felt, comes in black paint job, but still is just about as capabable as it when it comes to going fast. Kind of the Goldilocks of all bikes I've been looking at. If I had no bikes, this one seems to be the jack of all trades. Not so expensive that I would baby it, not so cheap that it rides like crap.
Cons: Kind of redundant to my Felt as it's just a watered down version of it. Why buy a cheaper version of a bike I already have? and a road bike with brifters isn't as good of a lock up bike as a simple single speed.

So, i writing all of this, I'm realizing that I would prefer the wabi, but I don't want the single speed/fixed gear to hold me back. After all, the road bike is more versatile. I appreciate both fixed gear bikes and road bikes, and I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. If anything, I'll probably end up buying both in a year or twos time, so this is more of a what should I get now type of question. Thoughts?
Old 05-07-18, 12:03 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If you've got a $1000 budget on a "it might get stolen" bike you could do very well with Craigslist.

You might find something that's scratched up and in need of a little TLC, with plenty of room in the budget for replacement parts to make it something that looks beat up but is very ridable. That's a good mix between something that you enjoy riding that looks like it wouldn't be enjoyable to ride to a would be thief.
Old 05-07-18, 12:51 PM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can’t imagine daily commuting on a single speed bike. The low maintence and simplicity would certainly be nice. But there are days I need to carry a laptop, or extra clothes. I might need to stop at the store on the way home. Or there could be a strong headwind. All of these are reasons to have a nice choice gear ratios on a bike.

I also live live in an area with plenty of hills. I might be less biased if I lived somewhere completely flat.
Old 05-07-18, 01:10 PM
tommilano1987

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddha2499
I can’t imagine daily commuting on a single speed bike. The low maintence and simplicity would certainly be nice. But there are days I need to carry a laptop, or extra clothes. I might need to stop at the store on the way home. Or there could be a strong headwind. All of these are reasons to have a nice choice gear ratios on a bike.

I also live live in an area with plenty of hills. I might be less biased if I lived somewhere completely flat.
That's ultimately what is holding me back from the single speed. I've ridden SS/Fixed up small hills, it's not as bad as it sounds. I think once I get used to it, it won't really be a problem, although a geared bike will always be easer to ride, same as comparing it to an E bike, where that is even easier to ride. Thanks for you input.
Old 05-08-18, 07:16 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
If you have the room, buy both...pre-owned.
Old 05-08-18, 08:07 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
If you have the room, buy both...pre-owned.
yeah I agree.
Thread starter you did not say where you were riding. I am not sure I could do a SS on my commute especially carrying clothes and such. There are too many hills, wind, days I might be tired, etc.
Old 05-08-18, 06:54 PM
Smirksalot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute on a ss. I've done it for roughly 5 years now, however my commute is rather flat. I chose the single speed route after having some derailleur issues, and realizing that I wasn't using much more than one gear. It isn't for everyone but I haven't had any issues. Finding your ideal gearing is key.
Old 05-08-18, 09:19 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
perhaps an IGH would be a suitable compromise. For $1K you can get an older one with some upgrades, or even a brand new 8 speed (rather than an older 3-5speed).
Old 05-09-18, 07:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Single speed: I set mine up to carry cargo, leaving my road bike unencumbered, so when I want to carry a laptop, extra clothes, or stop at a store is when I choose the fixed gear bike! We do have hills in this area, but it's not as limiting as I thought it might be.

The versatility is a downside IMO, because I generally don't take it out for the weekend rides, for anything more than about 25 miles really. But as a second bike and for commuting, sure. It can be perfectly suited for that. Provided that you actually enjoy riding SS or fixed gear - some people find out that it's just not their thing.