Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Zero Miles This Year

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Zero Miles This Year

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 12:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
Zero Miles This Year

It has been a tough year for riding. Weather this spring has been cold, arthritis is acting up, and yard work has taken over my life. Been cutting down trees for 3 weeks now, and still have 5 more to go. Only have an hour or two a day to cut due to work. For the first time ever, I have more miles on my motor vehicles than my bikes. Never thought I'd see the day when I am driving more than riding.
Old 05-07-18, 12:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
All-weather bike commuting? Miles can add up quickly.
Old 05-07-18, 03:48 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hear you. I've got a cyclocross with fenders that I ride in the wintertime slop, and did so many times last winter, but still not as much as I would have liked. In my case it was parents getting old+sick/first one has a stroke and ends up in a nursing home/the other later gets pneumonia and ends up in the hospital/recovers and returns home/starts falling and goes to an assisted living facility/goes further downhill and ends up in a nursing home (now I've got both of them in a nursing home, their home to take care of, their cars to take care of, the estate to address), address the estate, sell the house and one vehicle, one parent dies, the other one still in a nursing home to this day ... this all started years ago, and over time it's beaten me up and worn me down.

Got a real road bike out for the first time in 2018 last weekend. Was feeling a bit 'stiff' during the ride, and came in a few minutes over what would be considered normal. Didn't feel sore at all afterward, however.

Physically, I'm slightly out-of-shape, Mentally, I'm way out-of-shape. Have to get my **** together and get riding...
Old 05-08-18, 08:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Miles can add up quickly.
Not when your commute is 1.75 miles each way like mine.
Old 05-08-18, 08:10 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not when your commute is 1.75 miles each way like mine.
Just find a grocery store that you like that is 20 miles away.
Old 05-08-18, 03:02 PM
TiHabanero

I don't include commuting in with miles ridden for the year, besides I work from home so there are zero commuter miles to work. Should have specified road riding in the original post. I decided this morning that I will continue with the tree removal this fall so that I can start riding this weekend. Going to be a very low mileage year, but things could be much worse. Could be pushing up daisies.
Old 05-09-18, 08:37 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Removing trees doesn't sound anywhere close to 'pushing up daises'.
Unless one falls on you!
Old 05-09-18, 01:27 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I don't include commuting in with miles ridden for the year, besides I work from home so there are zero commuter miles to work. Should have specified road riding in the original post.
Each person is different. I realized decades ago that I'd get most of my riding in as commuter miles.

Since going "car-free" (or car parked if you wish), things have changed somewhat as so much of my riding is directional in one sense or another. So, I count what would otherwise be considered as touring as a "commute".

So far, I'm up to just over 2800 miles for the year, and with the exception of two short group rides, all the miles were commuting or utility riding in one sense or another, including two century-plus rides, and several metric centuries.
Old 05-11-18, 11:41 AM
TiHabanero

As luck would have it, this morning was pouring rain. Was to be the first day of my riding season, but not so. Commuted to the doc's office and was thoroughly soaked, but did find $15 bucks on the way in the form of a 100 Yuan bill. Concession of sorts, I suppose. Hopefully I don't get called in tomorrow, however it is scheduled to rain all day, but Sunday is looking good. Here's to the weekend and my first ride of the year!