Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Increased ability to burn fat instead of carbs = increased FTP?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 05-09-18, 01:59 AM
baribari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could have sworn I read something like this in an article or a book, but I can't remember where it is from.

Does anyone have a citation for this factoid?

I think it means that if you increase the power at which you can burn fat instead of carbs, your FTP will also go up.
Old 05-09-18, 03:40 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You're not saying it right.
Old 05-09-18, 10:27 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think he is saying it right.

If you look at FTP as wHr of power, increasing mitochondrial density and ability to metabolize fat with O2 means you can produce more watts for the hour. Don't think there's a way to really increase liver glycogen or glycogen burn rate.
@echappist should set us all straight.
Old 05-09-18, 11:02 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Base training (those long, lower intensity rides just at/under aerobic threshold aka ventilatory threshold 1) increases mitochondrial density. More mitochondria = more fat burning capacity. But the mitochondria are also key to lactate clearance, which has a big effect on FTP/MLSS. I first read about this in Thomas Chapple's Base Building for Cyclists, but I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere.

I can definitely say that long steady Z2 rides during the base season have helped increase my FTP.
Old 05-09-18, 06:04 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Base training (those long, lower intensity rides just at/under aerobic threshold aka ventilatory threshold 1) increases mitochondrial density. More mitochondria = more fat burning capacity. But the mitochondria are also key to lactate clearance, which has a big effect on FTP/MLSS. I first read about this in Thomas Chapple's Base Building for Cyclists, but I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere.

I can definitely say that long steady Z2 rides during the base season have helped increase my FTP.
Hmm. I would have thought sweet spot training would have a bigger affect, hour per hour, if only because maintaining Z2 for a long time is relatively easy, but maintaining ~95% of FTP is relatively hard for more than a few minutes...

Should you not do much too Z2 base after some point (build period?)?
Old 05-09-18, 06:05 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I think he is saying it right.

If you look at FTP as wHr of power, increasing mitochondrial density and ability to metabolize fat with O2 means you can produce more watts for the hour. Don't think there's a way to really increase liver glycogen or glycogen burn rate.
@echappist should set us all straight.
I was thinking maybe the idea was that burning fat took less O2 per watt generated. I might be totally off, though.
Old 05-09-18, 06:21 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by baribari
I was thinking maybe the idea was that burning fat took less O2 per watt generated. I might be totally off, though.
No, fats require more oxygen - but unless you are near VO2max oxygen delivery isn't really limiting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respir...exchange_ratio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_quotient

High FatMax improves long endurance much more than FTP.
Old 05-09-18, 06:50 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The only thing that's increased my ftp is stuff above ftp.

Last year I built up to doing 3 hours of sweetspot at 89% ftp and that didn't help, but doing 5-6 min repeats at 115-118% helped tremendously.

Could be highly dependent on each person and their previous training, however. And there's typically more than one way to do many things.

I very rarely do any type of z2 rides over an hour, so the traditional "base" of 3-5 hours at z2 is a total waste for me, and boring as hell anyway, so no way I even bother with it at this point in my life.
Old 05-09-18, 06:52 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
No, fats require more oxygen - but unless you are near VO2max oxygen delivery isn't really limiting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respir...exchange_ratio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_quotient

High FatMax improves long endurance much more than FTP.
Is the FTP of a trained athlete a relatively high percentage of VO2 max, or a relatively low percentage? Or am I thinking of something else entirely? Like VO2 max being a relatively high percentage of max power.
Old 05-09-18, 07:00 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

Last year I built up to doing 3 hours of sweetspot at 89% ftp and that didn't help, but doing 5-6 min repeats at 115-118% helped tremendously.

Could be highly dependent on each person and their previous training, however. And there's typically more than one way to do many things.

I very rarely do any type of z2 rides over an hour, so the traditional "base" of 3-5 hours at z2 is a total waste for me, and boring as hell anyway, so no way I even bother with it at this point in my life.
If I’m going to do 3+ on the bike it’s going to be for fun.

I could have sworn that cranking up the difficulty of my Zwift workouts, which put me at higher percentages of FTP, had almost overnight results.

Old 05-10-18, 12:30 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I think the answer depends on how you go about increasing the fat adaption, if you are using diet for say keto or carb depletion then the fat adaption likely comes at the expense of glycogen dependant power production. If you are increasing fat adaption using long base or intermittent fasting rides during base then the % contribution of fat could potential increase your FTP, the percentage contribution at FTP is likely <10% so its probably not going to make much of difference, where it makes a bigger difference is in glycogen sparing in the Z2 range.
Old 05-10-18, 02:51 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm. I would have thought sweet spot training would have a bigger affect, hour per hour, if only because maintaining Z2 for a long time is relatively easy, but maintaining ~95% of FTP is relatively hard for more than a few minutes...
I never said long Z2 was the only (or even best) way to increase your FTP. But there are physiological adaptions that this type of training produces, that you won't get from training at higher intensities. Basically what the book I referenced above is saying, is that a well structured base training phase will lay the foundation for other types of adaptations that come after.

Should you not do much too Z2 base after some point (build period?)?
Yeah that why I mentioned doing this type of training during base phase. I do much less of it after that, although I try to get a longer ride in at least every 3-4 weeks to maintain my endurance base.
Old 05-18-18, 12:54 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Read the Training Bible.

my race videos
Old 05-18-18, 09:28 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Read the Training Bible.
I have a copy of the 4th edition but I have found it kind of hard to read.... plus it's really thick.

It seems to me that most of the book is about peaking and periodiziation, which isn't relevant to me since I don't race yet (still in training, trying to learn how to suffer).

What parts are most useful if you just want to get fast as fast as possible?
Old 05-21-18, 01:41 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Is the FTP of a trained athlete a relatively high percentage of VO2 max, or a relatively low percentage? Or am I thinking of something else entirely? Like VO2 max being a relatively high percentage of max power.
Yes, a highly trained athlete not only has a high VO2 max power, but an FTP that is a high % of the VO2 max power.

As an example, a sweet spot workout might be 4 x 12 minutes at 95-98% FTP, whereas a VO2 max workout might be 6 x 3 minutes @ 120% FTP. A well trained athlete should find both interval sessions equally challenging.

If you lack muscle endurance, you'll find the sweet spot workouts to be more challenging. If you lack the lungs, you'll find the VO2 max workout to be more challenging.
Old 05-21-18, 01:43 PM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I don't race yet (still in training, trying to learn how to suffer).

Forget get the book,.....your quickest way of learning how to suffer is entering a race. Do 3 crits and then pop open the book, it will make more sense and give you a better understanding of what your homework needs to be.
Old 05-21-18, 01:46 PM
colombo357

Everyone's different, but in your case as a CAT 1, I think you're the exception rather than the rule.
Old 05-21-18, 02:10 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
Everyone's different, but in your case as a CAT 1, I think you're the exception rather than the rule.
I'd say it's more likely an issue of doing something until it doesnt work anymore, and then doing something different. Alternate the stimulus to force the body to keep adapting. Same principles apply to cat 5s, too.
Old 05-21-18, 05:38 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I have a copy of the 4th edition but I have found it kind of hard to read.... plus it's really thick.

It seems to me that most of the book is about peaking and periodiziation, which isn't relevant to me since I don't race yet (still in training, trying to learn how to suffer).
Read the section(s) on Nutrition, one or two chapters at most.

Man, I wish there were shortcuts for this stuff!! Let me know if you find any.

my race videos
Old 05-21-18, 08:06 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KDTX
Forget get the book,.....your quickest way of learning how to suffer is entering a race. Do 3 crits and then pop open the book, it will make more sense and give you a better understanding of what your homework needs to be.
Well, I did one crit which I thought was a flat course but it ended up having a pretty steep climb, and I blew up so fast I gave up after one lap.

OTOH, there were no ability level groups, and there were collegiate racers there, so it was the equivalent of doing a Cat 1/2/3 race as Cat 5.....with 70 pounds of excess weight.

I weigh less now.... but I'm going to try something flat first.
Old 05-21-18, 08:09 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Read the section(s) on Nutrition, one or two chapters at most.
Will do.... still need to lose 40 pounds though.

Man, I wish there were shortcuts for this stuff!! Let me know if you find any.
What I mean is going from couch potato (2.0 watts/kg) to 3.5+ watts\kg as quickly as possible, not going from 4.0 to 5.0 LOL
Old 05-22-18, 07:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Some of you guys need an account over on the Slowtwitch triathlon forums. This would go over well over there.

Andy Coggan frequents the forums along with a few other brainiac types.
Old 05-22-18, 08:38 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Andy Coggan frequents the forums along with a few other brainiac types.
To me it seems people like to argue with him about defining FTP, yet I don't think any of them have any real academic/research credentials
Old 05-22-18, 12:04 PM
colombo357

I'd say it's more likely an issue of doing something until it doesnt work anymore, and then doing something different. Alternate the stimulus to force the body to keep adapting. Same principles apply to cat 5s, too.
I'd agree with that.

Out of curiosity, are you a good 40K TT rider?

I can imagine that a CAT1 who can hold 100% FTP for nearly an hour will find subthreshold intervals to be much easier than, say, someone like myself.
Old 05-22-18, 12:19 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
I'd agree with that.

Out of curiosity, are you a good 40K TT rider?

I can imagine that a CAT1 who can hold 100% FTP for nearly an hour will find subthreshold intervals to be much easier than, say, someone like myself.

no.

hurt is hurt. that phrase "it never get's easier you just get faster" is a lot of bull**** in regards to racing, but it's spot on for intervals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.