Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best Bike Shed?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Best Bike Shed?

Old 05-09-18, 10:19 AM
scholl43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Bike Shed?

Scenario: Have 3 bikes to store, only one of which is a daily commuter. Would preferably like to store a box of bike tools, truing stand, and collapsible mechanic stand in the same shed.

Can anyone recommend a good bike shed (or brand) that might fit this description based on experience?

I live in an urban neighborhood that has a higher level of crime than most surrounding areas so I’m particularly focused on a shed that has a decent way to lock and that whatever lock rings or mechanism exists to lock, is not just attached via some flimsy material that could easily be cut through/around/ripped off.

i have a large area (behind a tall wrought iron fence) that I can place a shed so space isn’t an issue. I don’t have a garage and I’m not interested in continuing indoor storage since bikes are in the way and will do damage to my old house.

Ininitially thought about doing one large shed for outdoor tools and bike stuff, but the bike stuff would take so much floor space that it seems smarter to split them off into two more specialized sheds.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-18, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Hire a contractor , have one built to meet your unstated needs..

Alternatively,
You can buy a Marine Shipping container , and have it delivered .

1 unit size is 20 foot long 8 wide 8 high. 2 U is 40' long..

Edit, noting..
OK there's a 1/2 unit ,10', but when listing a container ship's capacity
they use a 20 foot container unit, although the load may consist of
all 40 footers..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-12-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 03:52 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Around here the the big box hardware stores usually have a few on display. There are also a couple of shed companies in town with display units. We movedinto a house with a shed 19 years ago. Mine's barn shaped, about 12 feet wide by 9 feet deep and 7 or 8 feet tall in the middle. I have 4 bikes side by side with car tires, a mower and other garden equipment plus boxes, boxes boxes. It's a solid wood design with no windows, no heat and no electricity. There is a single hasp lock with a padlock, although a heavier duty lock and hasp could be fitted if necessary. I still lock up my bikes inside because I am from Chicago originally, and that is what I have always done.
Old 05-09-18, 04:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Alternatively,

Good idea.

I think there are also 10x8x8 shipping containers.

I need to start thinking about building a paint shed, which I'll probably just build from scratch.
Old 05-09-18, 07:41 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by scholl43
Scenario: Have 3 bikes to store, only one of which is a daily commuter. Would preferably like to store a box of bike tools, truing stand, and collapsible mechanic stand in the same shed.

Can anyone recommend a good bike shed (or brand) that might fit this description based on experience?

I live in an urban neighborhood that has a higher level of crime than most surrounding areas so I’m particularly focused on a shed that has a decent way to lock and that whatever lock rings or mechanism exists to lock, is not just attached via some flimsy material that could easily be cut through/around/ripped off.

i have a large area (behind a tall wrought iron fence) that I can place a shed so space isn’t an issue. I don’t have a garage and I’m not interested in continuing indoor storage since bikes are in the way and will do damage to my old house.

Ininitially thought about doing one large shed for outdoor tools and bike stuff, but the bike stuff would take so much floor space that it seems smarter to split them off into two more specialized sheds.

Any thoughts?
Seems inefficient to build two small sheds. a small shed cost almost as much as a larger one. If the tools and bikes don't get along, just add a partition. check zoning code etc.
Old 05-09-18, 09:20 PM
Stax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shipping container suggestion is a good idea, and make sure it is made of cor-ten steel. You can also hire a shipping container inspector before buying, just to make sure it will seal properly (which I would do before buying a used container). If you live near a port, buying a used container will be easy.
Old 05-09-18, 09:56 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
This is purely an amusing aside: Among computer programmers and other techies, "bikeshedding" is a term for when people ask questions and raise objections in meetings just to make themselves seem knowledgeable and important. It comes from the book Parkinson's Law, where a meeting to approve construction of a bike shed is given as an illustration of this phenomenon.
Old 05-10-18, 08:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
...it seems smarter to split them off into two more specialized sheds.
I can't believe I didn't think of this the first time I read the thread...

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
This is purely an amusing aside: Among computer programmers and other techies, "bikeshedding" is a term for when people ask questions and raise objections in meetings just to make themselves seem knowledgeable and important. It comes from the book Parkinson's Law, where a meeting to approve construction of a bike shed is given as an illustration of this phenomenon.
THat is a funny coincidence!
Old 05-10-18, 09:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Whatever you decide on for the shed, I think it'd be a good idea to pour a concrete pad and install one or more hefty eyebolts in the floor. Use a hardened steel chain (lined with old inner tubes) and a very hefty lock to secure the bikes. If your area is rife with crime, somebody's eventually going to get into the shed. Make it tough, after they get in, to ride off into the sunset.
Old 05-10-18, 09:47 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I had an 8x12 garden shed that I used for bike storage. Built it myself and used landscape ties as "sleepers" to put it on. I presently have an 8x8 shed and it's too small, fortunately I also have a garage. Here are some things I would want to ensure if I were you: 1. Electricity. Can you run power to it? If so, that will make a big difference otherwise you would need windows for light and windows will create a security weakness. 2. Security. You will need to make sure you have a good strong door with a good lock on it. The sheds you buy often have weak hinges and locks that could easily be broken off. 3. Zoning. There are probably rules that dictate how large a shed you can have and if there are setback requirements. Look around your neighborhood to see what other people have. Ask.
Good luck.
Old 05-10-18, 02:04 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If power is an issue, a solar panel and an efficient LED light might suffice (in place of a window).
Old 05-14-18, 10:35 AM
scholl43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Hire a contractor , have one built to meet your unstated needs..

Alternatively,

Edit, noting..
OK there's a 1/2 unit ,10', but when listing a container ship's capacity
they use a 20 foot container unit, although the load may consist of
all 40 footers..

That’s definitely a no-go in a historic district.
Old 05-14-18, 10:41 AM
scholl43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I had an 8x12 garden shed that I used for bike storage. Built it myself and used landscape ties as "sleepers" to put it on. I presently have an 8x8 shed and it's too small, fortunately I also have a garage. Here are some things I would want to ensure if I were you: 1. Electricity. Can you run power to it? If so, that will make a big difference otherwise you would need windows for light and windows will create a security weakness. 2. Security. You will need to make sure you have a good strong door with a good lock on it. The sheds you buy often have weak hinges and locks that could easily be broken off. 3. Zoning. There are probably rules that dictate how large a shed you can have and if there are setback requirements. Look around your neighborhood to see what other people have. Ask.
Good luck.
1. Electricity would be prohibitively expensive
2. That was my view after reviewing a lot of sheds online. The lock designs leave a lot to be desired. I want something that requires and angle grinder to get into.
3. There are a lot of rules, which is why I’m trying to split this into two sheds to be more space-efficient and get under those rules without needing a permit. Enforcement is spotty, but it definitely happens.

The best bike shed with locks that I’ve seen is the Asgard, but they’re not sold in the U.S.
Old 05-14-18, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

That’s definitely a no-go in a historic district.
Then wrap it with wood to make it pretty.. inside It will be steel, dry and secure

I live in a historic Port Town, they're all over the place, usually as 'temporary' buildings ,
lots in store parking lots.. for additional storage..

Old 05-14-18, 12:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
One thing about shipping containers...

The refrigerated shipping containers can be very nice. Stainless? Plus some climate control (you don't have to cool them).
Old 05-16-18, 01:26 PM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.tuffshed.com/
Old 05-25-18, 09:53 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I'm giving some thought to one of these to hold our bikes in the summer and a snow blower in the winter. Not sure if these would be secure enough for your needs:

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/...d-lxt1379.html

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/...ed-xa1437.html

Last edited by Altair 4; 05-25-18 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-25-18, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bike Bunker..

Brick/cinder block walls on a concrete slab, with a heavy steel door..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-25-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-26-18, 08:06 PM
scholl43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globie
Looks like they don't service my area.