Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Where to buy quality 349 hoops?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 10:43 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Who sells quality 349 rims with 20- and 24-hole drilling?

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-10-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-10-18, 08:46 AM
Blackstrida_A_

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Perhaps could one of these meet your requirements (?):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-349-Kinl...-/252952213254

www.sgshop.com

16inch 349 carbon rim-kenkobike brompton carbon wheel birdy tiki 451 406 349 moulton 369

Edit regarding 24h:

Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA

Last edited by Blackstrida_A_; 05-10-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-10-18, 08:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike Friday uses a 24 hole 349 rim*, I think Sun metals US is their wholesale supplier.

* these are on my BF Tikit, (though no sticker on them) , Ask and the company may ship built wheels.

the PakIt is their current 349 wheel bike..
Old 05-10-18, 09:29 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
@fietsbob Pakit offers Velocity rims or Alex.
Old 05-10-18, 10:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

OK, my P Llama (406) was the one with a sun CR 18 sticker on it, so I guessed..

OP in south asian pacific , Alex would be the closest manufacturing supplier.
Old 05-10-18, 06:47 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Thanks to all who played...

I am trying to build a set of quality 74/130mm OLD, 349 wheels. I think the way to go is 24-hole hubs front and rear, Novatec freehub and Bike Friday Tikit hub, with Velocity 24-hole rims.
Old 05-10-18, 09:32 PM
failo

Bikes: Dahon Silvertip, Respect Mini Velo, Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
I am trying to build a set of quality 74/130mm OLD, 349 wheels. I think the way to go is 24-hole hubs front and rear, Novatec freehub and Bike Friday Tikit hub, with Velocity 24-hole rims.
I was going to say velocity makes a 349 rim.

Velocity - Dyad - 16" [349] - MSW
Old 05-10-18, 10:10 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by failo
I was going to say velocity makes a 349 rim.

Velocity - Dyad - 16" [349] - MSW
anything above 24-hole, perhaps even 20, is overkill on 349. the challenge is to find hubs and rims with identical drilling, and few holes.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-10-18 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-11-18, 01:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

FWIW, now the Schmidt new XS dyno hub has straight pull spokes that are paired coming off the hub.
in the build you bend the spoke a little , which solves somewhat the tendency of entire spoke winding around,
as the nip is turned rather than tightening or loosening..
I got a fully radial spoked one, in 28 spoke, new Brompton double wall rim,
the straight pull spokes are all double butted.

in the Bike Friday parts stream are 24 spoke hubs, on the rear they just skipped a hole in a 36 spoke IGH
on my Season-Tikit. both wheels are laced 2 cross..

&
Phil Wood Co. also now offers a 74 wide hub for folding bikes.. any drilling you order..

Old 05-11-18, 06:18 PM
Abu Mahendra

I am seeing a pattern, bob. You love those extravagantly expensive yet mostly unnecessary German toys. I would consider a dynamo hub only on a rig that would see no electricity for days at a time. For maintream applications, the 98% of us, modern rechargeable batteries offer much better value, and are platform neutral (can you use that SON dynamo on your 26"er?). Here is my 10,000mAH battery pack that sells for $25, and provides, according to a calculation made here on an earlier thread, the equivalent power that a dynamo hub would provide in three day's of pedaling. It's not German made; it's Chinese. Sorry about that.

OPPO F3 Plus for size reference

Originally Posted by fietsbob
FWIW, now the Schmidt new XS dyno hub has straight pull spokes that are paired coming off the hub.
in the build you bend the spoke a little , which solves somewhat the tendency of entire spoke winding around,
as the nip is turned rather than tightening or loosening..
I got a fully radial spoked one, in 28 spoke, new Brompton double wall rim,
the straight pull spokes are all double butted.

in the Bike Friday parts stream are 24 spoke hubs, on the rear they just skipped a hole in a 36 spoke IGH
on my Season-Tikit. both wheels are laced 2 cross..

&
Phil Wood Co. also now offers a 74 wide hub for folding bikes.. any drilling you order..

Old 05-11-18, 06:53 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Its nice having the lights on the bike and not having to think about do I have the light, will batteries run out. My 0.02.
Old 05-11-18, 07:06 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Its nice having the lights on the bike and not having to think about do I have the light, will batteries run out. My 0.02.
...and for that, you are paying a considerable dollar premium plus increased wheel resistance and weight. i am willing to acknowledge the plusses if we look at both sides of the ledger. nothing is keeping you from keeping the lights on the bike. it's the power source that moves from bike to bike. how are you gonna move your dynamo hub to another bike? You've got several bikes, what? you're gonna outfit them all with dynamos? A battery will also power/charge your gadgets. In fact, dynamos cannot produce the juice (amps) for many modern gadgets. Running out of juice? You've got three days' of pedaling in your pocket!

Dynamos are an old, mature technology where only incremental efficiency performance gains can be expected. not so with contemporary battery technology, specially because of vigorous funding research in that sector, and the demand created by mobile electronic devices and electric automobiles. Dynamo hubs are the next typewriters. But hey, if it's made in Europe and expensive, it's gotta make sense, right?

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-12-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 03:08 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
I am seeing a pattern, bob. You love those extravagantly expensive yet mostly unnecessary German toys. I would consider a dynamo hub only on a rig that would see no electricity for days at a time. For maintream applications, the 98% of us, modern rechargeable batteries offer much better value, and are platform neutral (can you use that SON dynamo on your 26"er?). Here is my 10,000mAH battery pack that sells for $25, and provides, according to a calculation made here on an earlier thread, the equivalent power that a dynamo hub would provide in three day's of pedaling. It's not German made; it's Chinese. Sorry about that.

OPPO F3 Plus for size reference
You do know that 99% of the people here have no idea who OPPO is,...right? The same as Huawei, Xiaomi, ZTE, etc? Even Lenovo (Motorola,...), OnePlus, and Alcatel,... There's so many good Chinese brands the world has no idea about,...ESPECIALLY in this forum.
Old 05-12-18, 05:50 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by tds101
You do know that 99% of the people here have no idea who OPPO is,...right? The same as Huawei, Xiaomi, ZTE, etc? Even Lenovo (Motorola,...), OnePlus, and Alcatel,... There's so many good Chinese brands the world has no idea about,...ESPECIALLY in this forum.
Yeap. The wife has an awesome Huawei Mate 10. My OPPO is not too shabby either...
Old 05-12-18, 09:20 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I'm using Velocity Aeroheat 349 ETRTO in the front for both my Brompton(for a few years)
and also for my Bike Friday pakiT(few months). I like them; lighter & more aero than the OEM
rims:

2018 FIVE BORO BIKE TOUR by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 05-12-18, 09:30 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I'm using Velocity Aeroheat 349 ETRTO in the front for both my Brompton(for a few years)
and also for my Bike Friday pakiT(few months). I like them; lighter & more aero than the OEM
rims:

2018 FIVE BORO BIKE TOUR by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
yes, Velocity Aeroheats is what I'll use if i move forward with this project, a quality, custom-built 349 steel folder under $1,000. The alternative is a ready-built Mialo, Wheelsport or Faxson wheelset.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-12-18 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-13-18, 09:26 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
...Dynamos are an old, mature technology where only incremental efficiency performance gains can be expected. not so with contemporary battery technology, specially because of vigorous funding research in that sector, and the demand created by mobile electronic devices and electric automobiles. Dynamo hubs are the next typewriters. But hey, if it's made in Europe and expensive, it's gotta make sense, right?
Thing is, I don't care about all that or that Germany makes better stuff than the Asians. I don't want to be concerned about if the batteries are going to run out or carrying the lights with me. The 1//2 or even whole pound of weight or the resistance does not bother me. It is worth while trade off, FOR ME. And the day time running lights are just lagniappe.