Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cougar Attack

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cougar Attack

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 11:04 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
And they are thinking of re-introducing Grizzlie Bears back into the wild in Washington?
With the density of trail use, hiking, MTB, climbing, day hikes, etc.animals are either losing their fear of humans or for lack of prey looking at us as food for survival. It took a Mt. Goat goring and killing someone in the Olympic Park for their population (non-native) to be removed from the park.
As I see it wild animals no longer live in the wild, I am not even sure if you can find a place left in Washington state where you cannot see/hear the signs of civilization.
We even have more urban dear than there ever were before.
While this may be a low probability event, it like lightening, is something you don't want to be struck by, ever.
My condolences to the family and friends of the rider who died and also to the rider who survived with injury.
Old 05-21-18, 08:13 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
And a cannon, or .357
At least a laser pointer

We had a problem in the 80's with packs of wild dogs attacking farm animals and horses around here and the adults would go out at night hunting them for a reward, that's about as wild as we get around here. There have been reports of Bobcat tracks being found but no sightings, Coyotes are now around here also, a few years ago one of my customers lost a little dog to one. Losing the land they live on is't helping matters.

Glenn
Old 05-21-18, 03:56 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
I thought about you, Matt, first thing when I heard about it. The bike in the picture before is a Raleigh - Brooks saddle, racks, bar end shifters. My heart panicked a little bit when I saw that and then realized the ages of the two guys involved were younger than us so it wouldn't be you.

I know it's a rare thing but I've had a large bear cross the road in front of me up there. But we've also had cats here surrounding our property each of the past 3-4 yrs including a 135lb male the state trapped after it killed a neighbor's dog. A few times while riding in pretty remote areas I have had the hair on my neck stand up and I had that 6th sense feeling I was being watched. I definitely rode a little faster after that.

Last edited by scozim; 05-22-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 04:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I've seen a few coyotes just outside Portland in the early morning hours crossing the streets near my house. (Garden Home neighborhood)

Ben
Old 05-21-18, 04:21 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Pigeons on the bike lane here will not get out of the way until the last second!

Just trying to lighten up the mood, since this story is pretty horrible.
Old 05-22-18, 06:44 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
I thought about you, Matt, first thing when I heard about it. The bike in the picture before is a Raleigh - Brooks saddle, racks, bar end shifters. My heart panicked a little bit when I saw that and then realized the ages of the two guys involved were younger than us so it wouldn't be you.

I am seriously contemplating riding with my little Walther PPK now in the hills above me. I know it's a rare thing but I've had a large bear cross the road in front of me up there. But we've also had cats here surrounding our property each of the past 3-4 yrs including a 135lb male the state trapped after it killed a neighbor's dog. A few times while riding in pretty remote areas I have had the hair on my neck stand up and I had that 6th sense feeling I was being watched. I definitely road a little faster after that.
I sometimes carry a Ruger LCP in my seatbag depending on where I'm riding. I'm as anti NRA as you can get and have posted about that in my P&R music thread, but still support the 2nd amendment.
Old 05-22-18, 07:11 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Guys let’s cut out the gun/politics talk or this thread will need to be moved to P+R.
Old 05-22-18, 08:08 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I have been hunting or fishing remote areas in Northern California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Wyoming since the 1950's. Usually with a dog, but sometimes alone, and can attest that things have changed. Predators were always out there, but in years past, in smaller numbers. In some cases, statewide numbers increased from hundreds to thousands and encounters with suspicious/ignorant/dangerous 2 legged critters are now more frequent.

In the late 90's, there were cougar sightings near my workplace in Olympia, WA. Our DFW distributed flyers with the following advice:

If You Encounter a Cougar
• Cougars often will retreat if given the opportunity. Leave the animal a way to escape.
• Stay calm and stand your ground.
• Maintain direct eye contact.
• Pick up children, but do so without bending down or turning your back on the cougar.
• Back away slowly.
• Do not run. Running triggers a chase response in cougars, which could lead to an attack.
• Raise your voice and speak firmly.
• If cougar seems aggressive, raise your arms to make yourself look larger and clap hands.
• (You will probably be all right.) If in the very unusual event that a cougar attacks you, fight back with rocks, sticks, tools or any items available

A recent check of the Oregon DFW web site finds they use a more appropriate last sentence. (Washington language in parentheses) Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 05-22-18 at 01:25 PM. Reason: correct the info given
Old 05-22-18, 08:26 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
A cougar can dash at speeds of 45 mph, so you won't out pedal or run it. Use your bike as a shield if you encounter one, like campus police do during protests.
Old 05-22-18, 08:48 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I ran over a snake a few weeks ago riding a trail. Didn't see until I was on it. Not a rattler but raised up as tire went over it.

Nothing compares to humans though. Last week a guy that was pressuring group (and had squealed tires at last stop) got mad when someone yelled watch out. The guy literally threw his dog off his lap reached down and grabbed a gun. Pointed it at the rider that yelled. Dave just flopped bike over whille clipped in as he thought he was going to be shot. We talked about someone carrying a gun (some I ride with do but not this day) but would have just escalated to someone dying or something. Out of control...
Old 05-22-18, 09:04 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Bikerider007, in the future take a picture of the rider who drew the gun and call the police. If you can't take a picture (understand it may not be safe to do so) still call the police and make a report. Someone who pulls a gun in response to a shout isn't that far from pulling the trigger by accident or intent, a report even if they can't find him will be there if/when he does it again.
Old 05-22-18, 09:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Pigeons on the bike lane here will not get out of the way until the last second!

Just trying to lighten up the mood, since this story is pretty horrible.
Yeah big dangerous animals are less common here in the northeast. I find it bizarre to see how people just walk around alligators in the southeast as if they're no big deal.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-18, 09:22 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Seems like a gross exaggeration. Sightings in N. California aren't uncommon, but attacks are rare and far more rare are fatalities. I've only had one encounter. Was hiking with our daughter when we glanced back after a short climb. Crossing the trail we were on was an unusual looking animal and it took me a moment to realize that it was a cougar carrying a large squirrel in its mouth. It headed up toward a bush and two cubs came bounding out to practice their hunting and have some lunch. We realized that just moments before we had been directly between the mama and her cubs - I'm sure we were being watched very closely.
Ditto. There are fairly frequent sightings in our area and about three years ago we had a spate of sightings and one killed deer on our street. Cougars are reclusive and it is highly unusual for one to attack a human. They will generally retreat if you encounter one on the trail.
Old 05-22-18, 09:22 AM
Fidbloke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of the advantages of living in Britain (and rural North Hampshire in particular) is that the worst thing I need to worry about is the occasional Kamikaze Badger.

My Dad hit one about 25 years ago. He went straight over the bars and landed on his face. The badger seemed OK and went of grumbling like an old man ( as they do).
I had to run him into hospital with a towel wrapped round his face. I'd just bought a car and didn't want him bleeding all over the passenger seat.
Old 05-22-18, 10:05 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
The victim has been identified as SJ Brooks, a local leader of a cycling inclusion advocacy group, avid bike tourist and former bike mechanic. They were riding a vintage Raleigh Portage.

Anybody dying like this is terrible, but I can't think of a worse person to lose for the cycling community in Seattle.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 05-22-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 11:45 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. Condolences to the friends and family. C&V-ish bike too. Sounds like they did everything right, but were just unfortunate.

I've never seen a cougar, though I am fairly certain I have heard one a couple occasions while out hiking. They are generally shy.

Saw a bobcat a couple times. I see coyotes all the time while out riding.
Old 05-22-18, 12:31 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by noglider
Yeah big dangerous animals are less common here in the northeast. I find it bizarre to see how people just walk around alligators in the southeast as if they're no big deal.
Yep, I feel completely out of my element in the woods, and can only think of all manner of dangerous things lurking in the distance.

Found this to be a very interesting read, highlighting how complicated the human factor can be: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...of-los-angeles
Old 05-22-18, 12:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Yep, I feel completely out of my element in the woods, and can only think of all manner of dangerous things lurking in the distance.

Found this to be a very interesting read, highlighting how complicated the human factor can be: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...of-los-angeles
I'll read it. Thanks.

Want to come ride upstate with me? I'm doing the Ride The Ridge 80 mile route on June 2. You'll see wildlife, but it won't threaten you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-22-18, 01:13 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by noglider
I'll read it. Thanks.

Want to come ride upstate with me? I'm doing the Ride The Ridge 80 mile route on June 2. You'll see wildlife, but it won't threaten you.
Well, that was just a general reading suggestion for everyone, but I know we were just talking about the NY'er.

That ride sounds/looks great, but I'm not sure if I can get out of girlfriend prison that day on short notice. I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-22-18, 01:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Girlfriend prison?! That doesn't sound happy.

Old 05-22-18, 03:40 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Guys let’s cut out the gun/politics talk or this thread will need to be moved to P+R.
Sorry, mine had no intention of being P&R. Just a statement that I, at times, while riding in pretty remote areas have had a sense that something was watching me and that the thought of having a way to protect myself against a bear or cougar had crossed my mind.

Edited the comment to eliminate angst from folks.

Old 05-23-18, 12:35 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I

I must admit, after being on the road for a couple of days, the thread title had me a bit excited.

oohh-- heres to you Mrs Robinson !
Old 05-23-18, 06:23 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
All kinds of dangerous animals in Florida. Aside from a bear and python I've seen them all on rides.

Gators. Panthers. Bears. Wild Boar. Pythons. Coyotes. Bobcats.
Old 05-23-18, 07:41 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
All good.

Except aero. Aero may be an issue.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-23-18, 11:37 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
It's worse for mountain bikers in cougar country than for hikers. The fast movement attracts them like a running deer would. It's hard to imagine what an attack like this would be like or what the best defense would be. I've lived in rural wooded areas all my life and have always been able to move away from dangerous animals. The only things that have eaten me have been black flies and mosquitoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.