Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Locking panniers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Locking panniers

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 11:13 AM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locking panniers

I bought some panniers and they clip onto my rear rack. everytime I leave the bike I need to take them off, Has anyone figured out a way to secure panniers to your bike? I would like to leave them on all the time. But not have to worry about them being stolen.
Old 05-07-06, 11:29 AM
KnoxBreezer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem, but I think I found a solution:

Or something like it... should be able to weave through some part of the pannier, trunk bag, possibly saddle and secure it to bike.

Last edited by KnoxBreezer; 05-07-06 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-07-06, 01:58 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Domromer
I bought some panniers and they clip onto my rear rack. everytime I leave the bike I need to take them off, Has anyone figured out a way to secure panniers to your bike? I would like to leave them on all the time. But not have to worry about them being stolen.
What kind of panniers are they?

You can lock Arkel panniers with a small padlock through the slot in the swiveling hook.

For Ortleib panniers with the QL2 attachment system you can buy a lock as an add-on.
Old 05-07-06, 02:20 PM
Shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the small luggage locks on/through the straps. Have mom (or GF/wife) sew some reinforced button holes in the straps so they cannot be undone. It would be a bear for someone to rip those off.
Old 05-07-06, 06:15 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if the panniers and bike are secured a razor would open it right up.
Old 05-08-06, 06:14 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm sure the OP meant to leave the panniers empty on the bike, just so that he knew the pannier itself wouldn't be stolen.
Old 05-08-06, 08:12 AM
ellenDSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
True! But I often leave some items (nothing valuable) in my trunk bag that I lock with a luggage lock. I know someone could cut it right open but the lock does thwart the casual thief.
Old 05-08-06, 09:51 AM
bandregg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The general thinking in the touring forum is either a small pad lock through the rack clip or just don't worry about it. Most people, even casual thiefs, won't take the pannier; they'll open it up or cut it instead.
Old 05-08-06, 10:51 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Even if it's empty, they don't know that, and might cut it open to find out.
Old 05-08-06, 10:56 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Even if it's empty, they don't know that, and might cut it open to find out.
Have you read this thread? People are talking about locking panniers to the rack so it doesn't get stolen, not locking the pannier shut. The pannier is OPEN, just locked to the rack so some one doesn't walk off with it. All this paranoia about people cutting panniers.
Old 05-08-06, 03:24 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the locking ideas, I'm still not sure what my solution is. wish they nade rigid cases like on my motorcycle, but for bikes.
Old 05-08-06, 05:27 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is close.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 05-08-06, 10:04 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats cool. Too bad I'm poor to afford such a nice hardcase. I saw a couple doing a bike tour in mexico. Instead of tradtional panniers they were using the square kitty litter buckets. They somehow attached them to the rack, I guess it would work well, tough, waterproof, and if they break you can get a replacement in any grocery store.
Old 05-09-06, 05:00 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most locking panniers have a special techniques for removal. I dont think a thief could snatch my Rixen and Kaul pannier fittings. I have run a cable lock though the shoulder strap D rings just for extra security when I leave them unattended.
Old 05-09-06, 08:36 AM
Viggen Ed
Roadmaster.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaman
Have mom (or GF/wife) sew some reinforced button holes in the straps so they cannot be undone.
Heck, I bet even a Man could do it!

Sorry, I'm not some PC freak, just found it amusing.... My GF sews for me, too, I could if I had to, but the difference would be quite noticeable....
Old 05-09-06, 09:32 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I bought some really cheap panniers today - around $20 US. Put them on the bike, and discovered that the carry handles touched the rack. So, I dug out some really tiny padlocks I bought (on of those "No idea what I want this for, but they're so COOL" purchases abour 2 years ago), and was able to lock the panniers to the bike. It wouldn't deter someone that really wanted them, but who's going to bother breaking a lock or cutting a handle to get $20 panniers off my rusty beater? No one.
Old 05-09-06, 11:13 AM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats probably the best idea, using really cheap bags. But then what do I do with my snazzy nice bags? Get a snazzy nice bike to go with them, and go and long winding tours through southern Arizona and Mexico. I'll explain to my wife it's because of panniers I'm going away for 2 months. yeah thats the ticket!
Old 05-09-06, 02:33 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings

That is something to keep in mind. When I owned a rag top I never locked my car. Didn't want to have to replace my top.
Old 07-16-09, 02:08 AM
bobjohns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think about where you park the bike

I agree that a reasonably determined thief will have his way with most unattended panniers. Still even a very basic locking system is better than none. People attacking luggage with bolt cutters or razors tend to stand out in a crowd discouraging all but hard core and pro thieves. I've made the mistake of locking and 'hiding' my bike out of public view thus providing the thief with a perfect cover to do his/her dirty deed. If you are going to leave your bike unattended, best choose a spot frequented by honest bystanders, police even! In Asia at least, cafe owners, guest house operators, people in the service/tourist industry are only too happy to keep an eye on your gear in return for your custom; a tiny tip works well too. I've wheeled my bike into bedrooms, restaurants, tents you name it, and if anyone objects, it's up to them to offer a secure alternative - or take your custom elsewhere. Care and common sense will usually do the trick.
Old 07-16-09, 02:12 AM
bobjohns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. I'm a newbie. In China a nui bi (pronounced newbie) is a cow's vagina.
Bob
Old 07-16-09, 05:41 AM
Caspar_s

Bikes: Giant Tcx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Domromer
Instead of tradtional panniers they were using the square kitty litter buckets.
Could have been these Oyster bucket panniers
Old 07-16-09, 07:34 PM
KitN
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I had to do a quick run to the local grocery store. I have this pannier set:

https://www.banjobrothers.com/products/01090.php

The panniers on either side of the bike are connected and held together with a 5.5" piece of fabric so it's one solid unit. I looped my cable lock through the rails of my Brooks saddle then down and through the middle section of the panniers, looped, then locked my bike with a Kryptonite Evolution Mini u-lock.

Even if someone got the not-so-bright idea to take a razor to the middle section, because I looped it underneath, they couldn't get it off. They'd have to completely cut the panniers off each side leaving the middle section behind and the panniers can't connect to any rack without the middle section so doing so would render the panniers useless. Haha!

I left the panniers empty, of course, and shopped for about 10 minutes. About 5 minutes in, I did look out the grocery store window to make sure everything was okay, which it was. No one messed with my bike or the panniers.

Mind you, I would not normally do this. I normally take the panniers with me inside but since there was a security guard standing nearby, lots of pedestrian traffic, I could see my bike and panniers from inside the store AND it was a very, very short time that it was locked up, I felt ok.

If you are going to leave your panniers for any longer than a few minutes or cannot frequently check up on them then you might want to save some money and buy panniers that are made for locking up.

Otherwise you can do what I did, or as others have suggested, or simply take your panniers with you to be completely safe.
Old 07-16-09, 08:42 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Zip ties will prevent someone from just randomly removing the panniers.
Old 07-17-09, 09:42 AM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, What kind of panniers are they and what are you using them for?
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 09-08-16, 12:18 AM
CycleRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread now but I was toying with the idea of a locking mecanism that locks the clips of a clip on panner in place so some passer by won't be able to lift them off the bike without the key.

These clip on panners are WAY too much money for what they are. Sure they are innovative & handy but way too much for something thats easy to steal. You'd think at the prices of the Lbera or Axiom bags they would at least have a locking mechanism that would secure it to a bike. Right now I got two $20 Everest backpacks hooked up to both sides of my front rack & they can hold a decent amount of stuff.

Since they are zip tied on there pretty good using thick strong zip ties as well as a few hose clamps nobody has bothered to steal them off my bike when I lock up somewhere so far. I would like clip on panners someday but at those prices they seem more like a gimmic to me.

It would be nice if clip on panniers had straps that allowed them to be carried easily like a backpack or shoulder bag when removed from the bike at least. But for now I like my setup. I got two backpacks on both sides of my rack as well as my backpack I wear which when combined can carry a fair amount of cargo like groceries & stuff.

Last edited by CycleRyder; 09-08-16 at 12:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.