Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 07:48 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
My main commuter. I finished building it in 2014, it survived a minivan hitting me at 40 mph and is my favorite bike to ride.

Likes For SactoDoug:
Old 08-15-18, 10:22 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
That's wild. It's like a recumbent, but normal bike height off the ground. (I'm captain obvious here, I know)

Is it hard to get going or stop? Seems like it would be awkward to keep your balance with a high center of gravity for that first few seconds after you lift your legs up until you get moving.

But...I bet once you're moving you can ride for a lot longer without needing a rest since you're in a reclined sitting position without any weight on the handlebars. I imagine your legs get tired like a normal bike but your hands and butt don't.

Originally Posted by SactoDoug
My main commuter. I finished building it in 2014, it survived a minivan hitting me at 40 mph and is my favorite bike to ride.

Old 08-16-18, 06:30 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
That's wild. It's like a recumbent, but normal bike height off the ground. (I'm captain obvious here, I know)

Is it hard to get going or stop? Seems like it would be awkward to keep your balance with a high center of gravity for that first few seconds after you lift your legs up until you get moving.

But...I bet once you're moving you can ride for a lot longer without needing a rest since you're in a reclined sitting position without any weight on the handlebars. I imagine your legs get tired like a normal bike but your hands and butt don't.
Stopping is easy. Apply brakes and put both feet down. Starting is a little trickier but not hard once learned. My legs are just long enough to touch the ground and hold up the bike when I am at a stop. I am 5'8". Something that I quickly learned and did not know until I started to ride was that with one foot down and reclined, my leg is pushing backwards on the bike and I have to use a brake to stay stationary. That made things a little tricky learning because you want to start out with one foot down. So with the left foot down, push on the pedal with my right foot, let off on the brake and go forward 1 ft then stop. I am ashamed to say that on the first day of trying to ride to work, I was stuck at a traffic light with a slight incline and had to walk through the intersection because I could not get started. I finally got the hang of it when I learned to take my left foot off the ground and just go with it. Now it is second nature.

You are right that there is much less fatigue. I cannot ride my road bike every day because my bottom cannot take it. At best I can ride every other day on my road bike which I did for a number of years. On my recumbent, I ride every single day and when I am done, my legs might be tired but there is no soreness. Bonus, no need for chamois cream.

Here is part of my commute home yesterday so that you can see me starting out at a light and you can see what it looks like riding a high racer.

Old 08-16-18, 09:43 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I want to try it! It looks cool!

Originally Posted by SactoDoug
Stopping is easy. Apply brakes and put both feet down. Starting is a little trickier but not hard once learned. My legs are just long enough to touch the ground and hold up the bike when I am at a stop. I am 5'8". Something that I quickly learned and did not know until I started to ride was that with one foot down and reclined, my leg is pushing backwards on the bike and I have to use a brake to stay stationary. That made things a little tricky learning because you want to start out with one foot down. So with the left foot down, push on the pedal with my right foot, let off on the brake and go forward 1 ft then stop. I am ashamed to say that on the first day of trying to ride to work, I was stuck at a traffic light with a slight incline and had to walk through the intersection because I could not get started. I finally got the hang of it when I learned to take my left foot off the ground and just go with it. Now it is second nature.

You are right that there is much less fatigue. I cannot ride my road bike every day because my bottom cannot take it. At best I can ride every other day on my road bike which I did for a number of years. On my recumbent, I ride every single day and when I am done, my legs might be tired but there is no soreness. Bonus, no need for chamois cream.

Here is part of my commute home yesterday so that you can see me starting out at a light and you can see what it looks like riding a high racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNabeenbheg
Old 08-16-18, 10:26 AM
Hank3
<><

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Quick Disc 3 & 2018 Cannondale Quick Disc 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I started commuting to work last month. I am starting with only doing it on Fridays as the FL heat and humidity can be a bear. Im hoping to increase it to two to maybe three times a week in the Fall. It's about a 9-10 mile ride depending on which way I go.

Recently added a rear rack, panniers, cargo net, and fenders.

Last edited by Hank3; 08-16-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-19-18, 09:19 PM
bubbaman

Bikes: 80's vtg Stumpjumper, 90's vtg Trek 750 Multi Track & Trek 820 Mountain Track

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank3
I started commuting to work last month. I am starting with only doing it on Fridays as the FL heat and humidity can be a bear. Im hoping to increase it to two to maybe three times a week in the Fall. It's about a 9-10 mile ride depending on which way I go.

Recently added a rear rack, panniers, cargo net, and fenders.

Great looking rig! Is that one of the USA made frames?
Old 08-19-18, 09:36 PM
Hank3
<><

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbaman
Great looking rig! Is that one of the USA made frames?
Not sure...How do you tell? Is it a good or bad thing that it's made in the USA?

And thank you for the kind words.
Old 08-19-18, 09:55 PM
bubbaman

Bikes: 80's vtg Stumpjumper, 90's vtg Trek 750 Multi Track & Trek 820 Mountain Track

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank3
Not sure...How do you tell? Is it a good or bad thing that it's made in the USA?

And thank you for the kind words.
Many or all of the USA made Cannondale frames were made in my home state of Pennsylvania. I think that PA made Cannondales are the most desirable. This is not to be negative toward the non-USA versions.

This should help you identify your bike.
Vintage Cannondale ? Serial Numbers & Information | VintageCannondale.com
Old 08-19-18, 10:47 PM
Hank3
<><

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbaman
Many or all of the USA made Cannondale frames were made in my home state of Pennsylvania. I think that PA made Cannondales are the most desirable. This is not to be negative toward the non-USA versions.

This should help you identify your bike.
Vintage Cannondale ? Serial Numbers & Information | VintageCannondale.com
Non-USA model. It was "Made in China."
Old 08-20-18, 09:19 PM
Sasquatch.

Bikes: Trek 520 Disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My new to me daily driver.
Old 08-20-18, 10:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Sasquatch.

That's a serious machine. I saw you post it on Facebook, too, in Bicycle Commuter. So tell us, how does a commuting cyclist in Oregon not want fenders?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-20-18, 10:53 PM
Sasquatch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
That's a serious machine. I saw you post it on Facebook, too, in Bicycle Commuter. So tell us, how does a commuting cyclist in Oregon not want fenders?
I hate fenders. I have had a set for every bike I have owned and have tried to like them. I always end up taking them off and regret spending money on them. The first thing I did to this bike is remove the fenders. Here's a pic of it before I owned it.
Old 08-21-18, 08:40 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sasquatch.

that is a sharp looking bike. I really like the color. I put fenders on my old commuter thinking i would take them off after the winter. I was wrong I left them on mine all the time.
Old 08-21-18, 09:07 AM
Sasquatch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
that is a sharp looking bike. I really like the color. I put fenders on my old commuter thinking i would take them off after the winter. I was wrong I left them on mine all the time.
Thanks I am really liking it. I may put some skinny tires and fenders on when it starts raining and give them another try. I have been commuting for about 5 years now and inevitably always end up taking them off. My biggest issue with them is the rattling. My commute is 36 miles round trip on some gravel covered and rough roads and the fenders end up rattling and I hate it. I'm not a fan of how they look either. I wear water proof shoe covers and don't seem to get any wetter without fenders.
Old 08-26-18, 09:17 PM
donglebutter

Bikes: Salsa Fargo GX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice keep riding
Old 11-03-18, 02:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
My ride has been pimped! New Jones loop bar with clear silicone grips, new Shimano Alivio shifters, Jagwire cables and brake hoses, Specialized computer, and Deuter bag. Coming up is a new mirror, bar wrap, and Velo Orange steel fenders; down the line is a new drive train and crank arms. Still dialing in the fit, but she's fun to ride.

Likes For Korina:
Old 11-05-18, 09:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
My ride has been pimped! New Jones loop bar with clear silicone grips, new Shimano Alivio shifters, Jagwire cables and brake hoses, Specialized computer, and Deuter bag. Coming up is a new mirror, bar wrap, and Velo Orange steel fenders; down the line is a new drive train and crank arms. Still dialing in the fit, but she's fun to ride.
That's super cool. I love my jones loop on my Krampus. Are those jones-brand grips or something else? A handlebar bag is perfect to occupy that new space. Although someday I want to install a Narwhal (admittedly more for the look than because I 'need' to get aero)
Old 11-05-18, 11:09 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's super cool. I love my jones loop on my Krampus. Are those jones-brand grips or something else? A handlebar bag is perfect to occupy that new space. Although someday I want to install a Narwhal (admittedly more for the look than because I 'need' to get aero)
Yes, they are from Jones; they're these. What's a Narwhal? Besides a whale.
Old 11-05-18, 11:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yes, they are from Jones; they're these. What's a Narwhal? Besides a whale.
Oopx sorry, I didn't realize Jones spelled it Gnarwal. Because who doesn't want their bike to be a unicorn?

Old 11-05-18, 02:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Oopx sorry, I didn't realize Jones spelled it Gnarwal. Because who doesn't want their bike to be a unicorn?
Ah! I have seen this. The trick will be to find a pointed, spiral grip for it.
Old 11-05-18, 02:24 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Ah! I have seen this. The trick will be to find a pointed, spiral grip for it.
You're right! Jones makes a foam grip for it, but you could always wrap with bar tape! The point would be the tricky part
Old 11-09-18, 04:17 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts

Grocery run.
Old 11-10-18, 08:04 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
My daily all weather commuter. Built the frame in 2015 and hit the 5000 mile mark a few weeks ago.

Old 11-10-18, 01:41 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts

My new winter commuter, getting comfy on it for two weeks, studs go on after Tgiving
Old 11-11-18, 09:11 PM
mchb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've been commuting on my fatbike for about a month and a half now (not pictured: the rear fender and light as it won't fit in the stand with them on the seatpost). I um...get a lot of funny looks from people up here lol. ^_^

Likes For mchb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.