Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Old 04-07-18, 04:45 PM
JSCjr

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc; 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@WheresWaldo, just wanted to let you know that I'm very happy with your Bontranger Blendr Wahoo mount - a clean, elegant solution, and in red to match the trim on my Domane!
Old 04-10-18, 09:43 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Maybe this should be posted in the Bicycle Mechanics forum, but I thought I would put it here. On Thingiverse I found this replica of the Jobst Brandt Tensiometer, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2810089

_featured.png

Then I decided to make one for myself. I had to modify the original model to fit the more readily available parts here in the US, most bought from Amazon, if anyone wants to build their own my source files are available.

20180410_112120.png

Without proper test equipement the tool is not calibrated to directly read spoke tension, but it can read a consistant number at a given spoke tension, so it can be used after the wheel build to test for evenness of the tension. Here is a list of parts I used from Amazon.
The model source files can be found here, https://a360.co/2JC6Jwe. It is a bit larger than the one on Thingiverse to accomodate the Amazon supplied hardware. It works. With the same spring you will get about a 1 mm deflection of the spoke when the spring is decompressed.

Here is how I printed this; PETG filament, 30% infill 3 perimeters, printed on a Robo3D R2 printer. Since this is just a tool pretty much any type of filament will work. Every piece was printed in the orientation directly from the source, only the channel for the linear rail required supports. With a shorter rail this could have been built smaller, but I was finding that any rail shorter than 100 mm really shot up the price, so I settled on the 100 mm size.

I have been using it about a week now double checking some of the wheels I have built in the past. It is not the easiest tool to use but I can vouch for the fact that it is a great way to test the precision of your wheel builds. Full disclosure, the wheels I checked were built using the Park Tool Spoke Tension Meter (TM-1) so I already knew they were pretty even in tension from spoke to spoke.

One last note, I did not print the spacer, I removed the back of the dial indicator and screwed the indicator (sans back cover) directly into the base of the tool.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-10-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-01-18, 06:58 AM
WheresWaldo

So Shapeways has approached me with a novel idea, they want to create a service that is a turn-key ecommerce site for designers. The plan is that they handle all SEO, all promotion, all social media, basically everything they do for their own Shapeways website. I basically have little to no control other than making my small percentage on every sale. It matches all the nearly 300 items I have designed in the past three years. I still don't exactly know how they are including new items I add each week. Since this is a pilot, I had to give my permission for them to do anything and everything without my pre-approval to make sure they dump what doesn't work and do more of what does. I will get condensed reports during the pilot period of the traffic and the number of sales. From my understanding, even though I have my own FB page (almost empty) and a Twitter account (unused for several years) they will be creating FB, Twitter, Pinterest accounts for the ecommerce site. All models are still printed and all customer service is done by Shapeways. There is little to no Shapeways branding. I think the end goal is to create this turn-key service to help designers make more money and in turn help Shapeways make more money as well as get them away from the box they are in as being only a 3D print service. They are seeing more competition from other services so this is a logical step for them. It will eventually be rolled out to anyone who wants to subscribe to the service in one way or another. The website is https://revolutionmounts.com

I am not changing the way I do things, all the ways you currently contact me are still valid. I will continue to help as many people with their desire for unique solutions to mounting devices on their bicycles.
Old 05-01-18, 08:13 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Ordered a specialized swat saddle to topeak saddlebag clip adapter from Shapeways. Should get it Saturday. Will report on it,
Old 05-02-18, 12:15 PM
Junker

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubiax SL3 Expert w/full 6700 Ultegra

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some feedback... I bought your SWAT to Garmin Varia Radar 18 months ago and it worked really well and I am very happy with it. I recently got a Cycliq Fly6CE, and when using the included seat post mount under my saddle bag, the top of my rear tire and the bottom of the saddle bad was visible in the video, so I ordered your SWAT to Fly6ce mount. There are a couple of issues with this mount. First, the quarter turn mount is loose. There is enough play that the camera jiggles while cycling, more than the image stabilization can compensate for. Second, and probably a lot less of an issue than the first, maybe because cycliq mount is smaller than the Garmin while the Fly6CE is heavier than the Radar, it seems there is a lot of flex when it is mounted.
Old 05-03-18, 09:55 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by Junker
Some feedback... I bought your SWAT to Garmin Varia Radar 18 months ago and it worked really well and I am very happy with it. I recently got a Cycliq Fly6CE, and when using the included seat post mount under my saddle bag, the top of my rear tire and the bottom of the saddle bad was visible in the video, so I ordered your SWAT to Fly6ce mount. There are a couple of issues with this mount. First, the quarter turn mount is loose. There is enough play that the camera jiggles while cycling, more than the image stabilization can compensate for. Second, and probably a lot less of an issue than the first, maybe because cycliq mount is smaller than the Garmin while the Fly6CE is heavier than the Radar, it seems there is a lot of flex when it is mounted.
Thanks for the feedback, I will look to see where I can modify it for the future. I think I can add a bit more material on the backside to make it "less" vibration prone. One question, did you get the FLY6ce in January or February this year? After February I am pretty sure I addressed the loose fitting mount. I still need to look at the rigidity of the overall mount to help minimize vibrations.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 05-03-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 10:13 AM
Junker

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubiax SL3 Expert w/full 6700 Ultegra

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the fly6ce last month (very beginning of April)
Old 05-03-18, 11:29 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by Junker
I just got the fly6ce last month (very beginning of April)
Thanks for the info. The FLY6ce mount was reverse engineered from someone kind enough to send me one mount. So it could very well need a small amount of tweaking.

Addendum: I am tweaking every FLY6ce model I have, it is just a small change to the actual mount, the engagement should be more positive and the FLY6ce should not be loose in the mount. I also changed the amount and location of bracing to try to keep it from vibrating. Only models using the new "Sprocket + R" logo instead of no logo or the word "revolution" have been updated. All models will be updated within the next 24 hours.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 05-03-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 10:37 PM
WheresWaldo

New Material offering from Shapeways

New announcement today from Shapeways. They have enabled prints from the new HP Multi Jet Fusion Printers for public purchase. If you must have a part in black or gray and you want it to look finished, then this is your best choice of materials. The nylon powder used in the HP printer is black or gray and the color is then all the way though the part, unlike the Versatile Plastic which as a raw material is a white nylon powder then dyed after printing in the other colors. The Premium Black Versatile Plastic is still the same white base but polished and dyed in multiple steps to get an eggshell like finish. The HP printer produces a part that is stronger, smoother and semi-glossy right out of the printer. The pricing for the Professional Plastic is the same as the Premium Versatile Plastic.

My personal preference is always order in any other color than black, but from now on if it must be black or gray will be the Professional Plastic. I would also recommend that anyone printing parts for themselves use the Professional Plastic offering if possible. It should really make a difference in the look and feel of the final printed part. I plan on going back through my entire model catalog and add this material but that will take some time.

Also in this announcement were name changes (new name = old name)
  • Natural Versatile Plastic = Strong and Flexible
  • Processed Versatile Plastic = Strong and Flexible Polished
  • Professional Plastic (new) = HP Multi Jet Fusion Nylon

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 05-19-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-19-18, 04:06 PM
WheresWaldo

Something new by request. Someone on Weight Weenies wanted to add a Di2 Junction A mount under his first generation Enve Garmin mount, This is about as low a profie as you can get. The model actually has 4 little nubs all around, you trim off the three you don't need when you have your Junction A oriented correctly, this allow the same model to be used on both generations of ENVE mounts or with the Junction A either pointing forward or backward.

Old 05-20-18, 05:38 PM
GeneO 

I got the Specialized SWAT to Topeak saddlebag adapter from Shapeways. The plastic screwholes do not look sturdy - the wall seems awful thin.
Old 05-21-18, 03:05 PM
WheresWaldo

@GeneO the walls are not structural and a socket head hex screw should actually sit inside the recess, so the thin walls are simply to cover the outer edge of the bolt head. The specific bolt was listed in the description of the item, if you are using another style of bolt then the head may be too large to fit within the recess.
Old 05-22-18, 01:13 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
@GeneO the walls are not structural and a socket head hex screw should actually sit inside the recess, so the thin walls are simply to cover the outer edge of the bolt head. The specific bolt was listed in the description of the item, if you are using another style of bolt then the head may be too large to fit within the recess.
you must be referring to something else. This calls for a button head m5x10, there is no recess, and the walls are thin. I will post a pic sometime when I get a chance to take it off the saddle.
Old 05-22-18, 01:26 PM
WheresWaldo

@GeneO

Of course you are correct, I was thinking of a previous version that I had abandoned that had the bolt covered. The current version, which you have, uses button head screws instead of socket head screws. I can tell you that I have over 350 of the various SWAT mounts in use. I have not had a single report of a failure unrelated to a crash. I am confident that the mount works based on this fact. If you are unhappy with the design you can express your concerns with Shapeways Customer Service. I am not a Shapeways empoyee so I do not have any sway over Shapeways.
Old 05-22-18, 02:47 PM
WheresWaldo

New article just published on 3Der.org
Arevo makes 3D printed bike frame, names new CEO, $12.5M funding round

They claim the frame can be made for under $300 cost, Here is a link to the company and there is a video about the frame, Home - Arevo.

The video is kind of interesting to watch, they also explain why they chose a bike first instead of showing some industrial part.
Old 05-22-18, 07:12 PM
GeneO 

Talking

@GeneO

Of course you are correct, I was thinking of a previous version that I had abandoned that had the bolt covered. The current version, which you have, uses button head screws instead of socket head screws. I can tell you that I have over 350 of the various SWAT mounts in use. I have not had a single report of a failure unrelated to a crash. I am confident that the mount works based on this fact. If you are unhappy with the design you can express your concerns with Shapeways Customer Service. I am not a Shapeways empoyee so I do not have any sway over Shapeways.
Hope so because this is all pretty cool and useful.
Old 06-08-18, 07:27 AM
WheresWaldo

Wahoo Bolt Aero Mount

A request. It was a rider that wanted a mount that would center the Bolt on his specific setup. But I did make it generally available on Shapeways. It is a good example of what the finish looks like for Black Versatile Plastic. It is a fuzzier finish and the black is not very deep. I think the dye Shapeways uses is very dark purple/blue and not a true black. If this was the Professional Plastic it would be darker and smoother.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 06-08-18 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 10:59 AM
WheresWaldo

Per custom request. Posted and now available. Integrates a Di2 Junction A clip into the bottom cover. Wires from Junction A face rearward.
Old 07-03-18, 06:32 AM
WheresWaldo

I had a fellow cyclist who is attending the USA Cycling Masters National Track Championships starting this upcoming weekend request a track mount for his Garmin device that would meet USAC regulations.

Here is what he wanted, mounted to a Specialized SWAT equipped saddle and mounting the Garmin Edge device upside-down. He said he would send me a few pictures of his setup after the Chanpionships.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 07-03-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-16-18, 09:37 AM
WheresWaldo

So the Arevo guys decide to turn that 3D printed bike listed a few posts above into an eBike. 3ders.org - AREVO launches battery-assisted, 3D printed carbon-fiber frame ebike | 3D Printer News & 3D Printing News
They don't even have an official statement on their website yet, nor is the first frame available yet.

Motor appears to be in front of the crankset.
Old 07-31-18, 03:05 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized SWAT mount for PDW light?

I have a Specialized bike with the SWAT mounting holes underneath the saddle, and I just got a PDW (Portland Design Works) "Gravity" taillight, and I'd love to be able to mount it to the seat like your other SWAT mounts for other lights. The PDW mount style actually looks a lot like the mounts for the Moon Nebula and Cateye rear lights, so I wonder if it's compatible with either of those.
Old 08-01-18, 02:12 PM
WheresWaldo

@dwolsten, send me a private message if you can. If not, you can message me here: SEND MESSAGE
Old 08-01-18, 02:13 PM
WheresWaldo

Argon E-117 Varia mount done by request:
Old 09-04-18, 10:33 PM
WheresWaldo

Been away for a bit but got home in time to finish up a few last minute requests. I now have a Varia mount that can be used on the new Madone SLR series. It centers the radar on the seat mast and reuses what Trek calls the Madone SLR Reflector Bracket Rear (Trek Part # W557631). These normally come with the Madone SLR as they are the reflector mount. So far only the Varia is supported but soon should have a Cycliq FLY6ce adapter for the same mount. It even uses the same screw used to hold on the reflector normally mounted there. Easy to use as all you need to do is unscrew the reflector leaving the bracket in place on the Madone then screw in the adapter.

I should have some picture by next week.

I also now have a technical drawing of a Chinese made Carbonda CFR515 aero road frame seat post that I will make a few mounts for. Since the Chinese are fond of copying everyone's designs, I am sure this will fit any clones of this bike model too.
Old 09-05-18, 09:52 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe this should be posted in the Bicycle Mechanics forum, but I thought I would put it here. On Thingiverse I found this replica of the Jobst Brandt Tensiometer, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2810089

Attachment 606660

Then I decided to make one for myself. I had to modify the original model to fit the more readily available parts here in the US, most bought from Amazon, if anyone wants to build their own my source files are available.

Attachment 606659

Without proper test equipement the tool is not calibrated to directly read spoke tension, but it can read a consistant number at a given spoke tension, so it can be used after the wheel build to test for evenness of the tension. Here is a list of parts I used from Amazon.
The model source files can be found here, https://a360.co/2JC6Jwe. It is a bit larger than the one on Thingiverse to accomodate the Amazon supplied hardware. It works. With the same spring you will get about a 1 mm deflection of the spoke when the spring is decompressed.

Here is how I printed this; PETG filament, 30% infill 3 perimeters, printed on a Robo3D R2 printer. Since this is just a tool pretty much any type of filament will work. Every piece was printed in the orientation directly from the source, only the channel for the linear rail required supports. With a shorter rail this could have been built smaller, but I was finding that any rail shorter than 100 mm really shot up the price, so I settled on the 100 mm size.

I have been using it about a week now double checking some of the wheels I have built in the past. It is not the easiest tool to use but I can vouch for the fact that it is a great way to test the precision of your wheel builds. Full disclosure, the wheels I checked were built using the Park Tool Spoke Tension Meter (TM-1) so I already knew they were pretty even in tension from spoke to spoke.

One last note, I did not print the spacer, I removed the back of the dial indicator and screwed the indicator (sans back cover) directly into the base of the tool.
This is really cool, just downloaded and will be printing within the hour... Will have to see how it compares to my DT Swiss Tensiometer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.