Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycling 40 years ago, March 1984

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 02:33 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 133 Posts

Actually, just one article. Frank Berto came out to the Repack downhill race, and gave it a shot.

Old 03-31-24, 03:03 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I had to google this Frank Berto guy -- apparently he was famous for signing off with "gears to you." Cute.
Old 03-31-24, 05:41 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 1,878 Times in 847 Posts
As a brand-new "serious rider" back in 1980-81, I discovered the wisdom of Frank Berto in the pages of Bicycling magazine (back when it was very much worth reading). I had just purchased my first "real bike" - a rather nice for the price Centurion Super Elite with Cyclone derailleurs and Araya alloy rims. But it had the stock off-the-shelf gearing typical of bikes of that time - 52-40 SR crankset (with no aftermarket chainrings smaller than 40), and a 5 speed 14-28 freewheel. I loved the bike, but wasn't happy with the gearing - I never used half the gears, and the steps were so big that I often was grinding or super-spinning.

And then Mr. Berto explained unto us: "it doesn't have to be this way." A true revelation. Using my meager funds carefully and the nomographs in the March 1981 article "Gearing to Suit You",* I traded the SR crank for a used TA with 46-42-26 chainrings and got a 14-26 ProCompe freewheel. And suddenly, I had a large logical range of gears in a half-step pattern, and could climb steep grades without having to stand 'n stomp. A couple months later I did my first Arizona Challenge 24-hour endurance ride, and the rest is personal history.

It is not an exaggeration to say that Mr. Berto is at least in part responsible for the gear selections on first-generation mass-market mountain bikes, which then spread throughout cycling, especially after triple cranks such as the Sugino Aero Tour went from specialty aftermarket items to standard spec.

At Christmas 1999, my wife surprised me with an autographed copy of the first edition of Berto's definitive work on bicycle drivetrains, "The Dancing Chain". It occupied a place of honor on my bookshelf.

Over the years, I've made the acquaintance of a couple of the other writers for Bicycling in that era, and so it came to pass that I had dinner with Mr. Berto at the Interbike trade show in 2006 along with John Allen, John Schubert, and others. I told Frank my testimonial as recited above and he received it graciously. I purchased a signed copy of the second edition of "The Dancing Chain" from him at the dinner, which is now next to that first edition. Frank published several more updates prior to his passing in 2019.

* Hey, SpeedofLite , any chance of reposting that article?
Old 03-31-24, 05:52 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 1,878 Times in 847 Posts
l borrowed a loaner Ritchey MountainBike from Gary Fisher the day before the race. It was an early model, but the gear train was pure Berto. It had 28/38/48 Shimano Biopace chainwheels on 180-mm Sugino Aero Tour cranks. This was combined with a 14-16-18-21-28-38 SunTour New Winner, a DID chain, and SunTour derailleurs.
I like how he can casually name-drop "oh, I borrowed one of Gary's bikes...", but then again I think he earned that privilege. And as I look at the 14-38 custom 6-speed Suntour freewheel on my desk at the moment (only a Perfect, not a Winner, alas), it's good that folks like Frank were out there arguing for sane gearing when too many companies were assuming everyone was racing Sunday crits. I think I remember him remarking with approval at the huge 1x cassettes that hit the market prior to his passing, and how the Suntour 38 that was for so long the "big one" has been eclipsed by 10-50 12-cog beasts.
Old 03-31-24, 07:10 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 3,488 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
As a brand-new "serious rider" back in 1980-81, I discovered the wisdom of Frank Berto in the pages of Bicycling magazine (back when it was very much worth reading). I had just purchased my first "real bike" - a rather nice for the price Centurion Super Elite with Cyclone derailleurs and Araya alloy rims. But it had the stock off-the-shelf gearing typical of bikes of that time - 52-40 SR crankset (with no aftermarket chainrings smaller than 40), and a 5 speed 14-28 freewheel. I loved the bike, but wasn't happy with the gearing - I never used half the gears, and the steps were so big that I often was grinding or super-spinning.

And then Mr. Berto explained unto us: "it doesn't have to be this way." A true revelation. Using my meager funds carefully and the nomographs in the March 1981 article "Gearing to Suit You",* I traded the SR crank for a used TA with 46-42-26 chainrings and got a 14-26 ProCompe freewheel. And suddenly, I had a large logical range of gears in a half-step pattern, and could climb steep grades without having to stand 'n stomp. A couple months later I did my first Arizona Challenge 24-hour endurance ride, and the rest is personal history.

It is not an exaggeration to say that Mr. Berto is at least in part responsible for the gear selections on first-generation mass-market mountain bikes, which then spread throughout cycling, especially after triple cranks such as the Sugino Aero Tour went from specialty aftermarket items to standard spec.

At Christmas 1999, my wife surprised me with an autographed copy of the first edition of Berto's definitive work on bicycle drivetrains, "The Dancing Chain". It occupied a place of honor on my bookshelf.

Over the years, I've made the acquaintance of a couple of the other writers for Bicycling in that era, and so it came to pass that I had dinner with Mr. Berto at the Interbike trade show in 2006 along with John Allen, John Schubert, and others. I told Frank my testimonial as recited above and he received it graciously. I purchased a signed copy of the second edition of "The Dancing Chain" from him at the dinner, which is now next to that first edition. Frank published several more updates prior to his passing in 2019.

* Hey, SpeedofLite , any chance of reposting that article?
Sure. Here you go. Good for 6 days. Bicycling Mar 1981 Drivetrain Gearing Design (Berto).pdf
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 03-31-24, 08:32 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked 3,421 Times in 1,211 Posts
Berto is still very mich worth reading.
Old 04-01-24, 11:44 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

I also held an editorial position at Bicycling. Frank lives in my town, and I knew him for many years before his death. I am quoted extensively in his book, "The Birth of Dirt." Not really a name-drop that Gary loaned him a bike, since they were longtime friends who both worked for Bicycling.

It is ironic that Frank's wife was a member of the horsey set, and was a very public opponent of mountain biking. Their son became a MTB racer.
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 04-01-24, 11:59 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
I enjoyed the piece. I hadn't realized that Repack began in 1974; I had thought it was late 70s. I hate to say it but Bicycling was a much better magazine back in the day. A lot of things about cycling have gotten better since BITD but not that magazine.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-01-24 at 12:05 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-02-24, 12:25 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Originally Posted by bikemig
I enjoyed the piece. I hadn't realized that Repack began in 1974; I had thought it was late 70s. I hate to say it but Bicycling was a much better magazine back in the day. A lot of things about cycling have gotten better since BITD but not that magazine.
First Repack race was October 21, 1976. It was supposed to settle all the arguments.
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 04-02-24, 05:40 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
First Repack race was October 21, 1976. It was supposed to settle all the arguments.
No doubt it did . . .

And thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-24, 04:40 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
Just like "The World War" (before they had to say "First")......
Old 04-04-24, 06:51 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I hate to say it but Bicycling was a much better magazine back in the day. A lot of things about cycling have gotten better since BITD but not that magazine.
Absolutely! Today, its written to appeal to younger folks with smart phones and the attention spans of houseflies.