Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hybrid vs Mountain Bike w/ Kid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hybrid vs Mountain Bike w/ Kid

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 12:14 PM
blakesimus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
I understand the dilemma. I have a granddaughter now, and when she was younger, we hauled her around on the rack. Yes, you need to keep your weight forward. Yes you need some tire cross-section to get the job done. But our trails are either pure road bike, or not conducive to a trailer. Sounds like your are better in that regard ...

Given your explanation of the roads and trails, seems like a trailer will work. So that's pretty easy to fit for both bikes. I'd also get skeletal rear racks (lunch, nappies, windbreakers, etc.). I'd like some semi-serious gearing for trailer pulling up gradient. I'd also opt for the largest diameter wheels you can swing in a a deal. They have better roll-over on pavement irregularities. And they are nice on trails. 27.5 or 29'ers are good

So crappy roads are tricky. It's either high pressure road tires and you take the hit on the pavement defects, but they roll efficiently, and you try to get some compliance out of the front end. Or mid-sized tires (cross-section) at mid-pressure and a maybe a plainer front end, but more rolling resistance ... Does not have to be suspension. There are good steel forks with enough give/spring to take the worst out. So, given your situation, I think I'd be looking seriously at gravel bikes. They are form of Hybrid. Do a bunch of YT reviews and watch the way the bikes act. See if that interests you ...

If you score a chassis with a tapered head set, you can upgrade to a Lauf fork when funds/time become available (used ones are starting to show up in the market). As your babe grows, you'll dedicate the existing chassis to road/gravel, tune it to be responsive and light, and pleasing in your average environment.

A bit later you can get a used MTB and tweak it, so that as things progress, you can challenge yourself on the more technical trails when time permits. So MTB stuff can get very techie and very spendy, very quickly. Many riders find themselves drawn to niche riding like down hill (DH) for the rush and the skill required. You will not know where you are going in that regard, so start slow. An aluminum hard-tail (used) with a very good fork (also used) and a dropper seat-post will get you a long way in finding what intrigues you ...

I recently bough a Specialized Hardrock Sport for $80. I got a nearly new Manitou R7 Elite air fork for it for $150 off eBay, and lost that horrendous RST fork that came on it. Some new cables, a bit of brake work and a tire swap and I'd ride that thing most anywhere. The chassis was/is nice and light and tough, but the OEM fit-out was very low grade to make their price point. This is so common in MTB stuff it's cliche'. I also bought an older FS K2 not long ago for $100 with air on both ends (Marzocchi & Fox). Not something you run across every day, but the owner just upgraded to a new Santa Cruz something and wanted it gone. Those deals do come along, not often, but they do

Point being you can explore a lot of MTB stuff/territory/conditions w/o breaking the bank - in the beginning. As you refine your tastes and build your skills, you can sell the used chassis for what you have in it (more or less) and progress upward. Buying new here, and taking the depreciation hit each time is not such a good plan at the start ... If you are real lucky, your baby will grow up to like trail riding, and as they get to middle childhood years, will have their own XC or All Mountain bike and ride with you. You'll be watching them ride away (kid energy & reflexes) while trying to keep up. But, it'll be fun

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that you'll end up with an "All Mountain" bike. There again, it'll take some research to figure out what it means exactly and which tweaks are important to you ... And, in the meantime you'll have your family outings and get some exercise - win/win
You've given me a lot to think about lol. Thanks! I do look forward to watching her race around in front of me. I'll definitely be staying away from the hardcore mtb money sink for a while. (Kids are expensive...as you're well aware.)
Old 12-14-18, 01:25 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a bit more. You prolly have the family bikes figured out, or are well on the way. Here's a decent video on upgrading an older MTB that I thought was not terribly biased. Yeah, they're pushing some product, but they explain why Just wait out the ATV BS and the bicycle stuff starts ...

I think they did as well as could be expected and the results are very decent

Last edited by BrocLuno; 12-15-18 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 01:35 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This looks like so much fun. Although I have never seen anyone actually use something like this on the trail or on paved MUP either.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/fea...r-the-Ride,206

I love the mac ride. I have one and actively use it on trails (yes single track) and the road. My kids love it. You can safely use it up to a certain height based on your height. The kids needs to be aware enough to keep his/her hands on the bar. I have one kid who wants to go handless, and I won't take him out - yet...

Old 12-14-18, 01:41 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As for bike. I would always pick the mountain bike. But I live in an area with a large number of mountains so I am biased. That and with my mac ride the front fork makes everything more enjoyable.

I also don't find the bow legged effect someone above mentioned. The seat is tiny and only as wide as the kids butt.
Old 12-14-18, 04:43 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
But I live in an area with a large number of mountains so I am biased.
Inadvertently that's actually the funniest comment I've seen on the forum for a while ....... what percentage of people that buy MTB's live anywhere near a mountain ...I think it became the "Buzz Word" quite a few years back that manufacturers came up with and seemed trendy and everybody that lived anywhere .... including in the city of London which is pretty flat ... bought one.
Old 12-14-18, 11:11 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, very funny

I live at the bottom of mountains on both sides. So anywhere but up valley is a serious climb

Building my first eBike on a hardtail chassis with good fork so I can get up the 1,200 feet easier to the trails I want to ride
Old 12-15-18, 10:08 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Inadvertently that's actually the funniest comment I've seen on the forum for a while ....... what percentage of people that buy MTB's live anywhere near a mountain ...I think it became the "Buzz Word" quite a few years back that manufacturers came up with and seemed trendy and everybody that lived anywhere .... including in the city of London which is pretty flat ... bought one.
Its why I put that in there. … At one point I read an article on the history, in fact I think there was an early group of offroaders trying to have the buzz word changed. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Two wheel off road vehicals is a little on the long side haha
Old 12-15-18, 10:10 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Yeah, very funny

I live at the bottom of mountains on both sides. So anywhere but up valley is a serious climb

Building my first eBike on a hardtail chassis with good fork so I can get up the 1,200 feet easier to the trails I want to ride
Enjoy it, I have considered one but my lungs, for now, are still healthy. I have a lung disease which could change that so would make use of one. Demoed one, lots of fun. The only warning I have is to stick to trails where they are allowed (and armoured)
Old 12-15-18, 01:32 PM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Private property for the most part
Old 12-17-18, 10:39 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
At 19 months they may not be quite ready for this - but both of mine were able to ride the Trek mountain bike trailer at 3-4 years. My son is now 7, but I've taken him on light trails with this setup and he did great.

Our neighborhood is fairly hilly, so although he can go out on his own, it was difficult for him to keep up with me until he was able to ditch the training wheels. So we'd go on separate bikes when he wanted to "do it by himself", but then he'd hop on the back with me when he wanted to "go fast".

Plus, with this setup, you get LOTS of comments from bystanders and other bikers. My kids love the attention! I bought the first one at the LBS, then I bought a second one from CL so my wife could carry the other child on her Trek Neko. At their current ages (7 and 4), it's really the only way all 4 of us can ride together when we are doing anything outside of the neighborhood.
Old 12-17-18, 10:40 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Trek DS 8.4 and MT 206

At 19 months they may not be quite ready for this - but both of mine were able to ride the Trek mountain bike trailer at 3-4 years. My son is now 7, but I've taken him on light trails with this setup and he did great.

Our neighborhood is fairly hilly, so although he can go out on his own, it was difficult for him to keep up with me until he was able to ditch the training wheels. So we'd go on separate bikes when he wanted to "do it by himself", but then he'd hop on the back with me when he wanted to "go fast".

Plus, with this setup, you get LOTS of comments from bystanders and other bikers. My kids love the attention! I bought the first one at the LBS, then I bought a second one from CL so my wife could carry the other child on her Trek Neko. At their current ages (7 and 4), it's really the only way all 4 of us can ride together when we are doing anything outside of the neighborhood.
Old 12-17-18, 09:48 PM
blakesimus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Photokid1970

Trek DS 8.4 and MT 206

That's awesome! She's not quite there yet but I can tell she'll love something like that when she gets older.