Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The need for speed (taller gears)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

The need for speed (taller gears)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 03:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Looking at the spacers in post #39 , they look mismatched.
I think someone has been there before.....

OP is there a model# on the hub similar to FH-M450? IF obscured, it might have a matching FRONT hub which would be in the format HB-M450 etc.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 11-26-19 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-26-19, 04:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
OP is there a model# on the hub similar to FH-M450? IF obscured, it might have a matching FRONT hub which would be in the format HB-M450 etc.
@Bigbus, some before and after disassembly photos of the hub and sprocket cluster would help clear up confusion.

It is my belief from photos provided, and the description is that you have a screw-on freewheel in the photo on the left.
NOT a Freehub/Cassette on the Right.

Old 11-26-19, 04:13 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
@Bigbus, some before and after disassembly photos of the hub and sprocket cluster would help clear up confusion.

It is my belief from photos provided, and the description is that you have a screw-on freewheel in the photo on the left.
NOT a Freehub/Cassette on the Right.

I won't be able to get back to this until after the holidays. I put it all under a tarp and hopefully it's still all there when I get back. Right now, it looks like the one on the right as I didn't remove the splined thingy off the hub. I jkust unscrewed the lock ring and all the gears and spacers slipped off. When I get back I'll see if it screws onto the hub like the freewheel on the left, which is very possible. Thanks
Old 11-27-19, 09:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've often wondered why bicycles are sold to the general public, and have a 53 teeth chainring and a 11 teeth cog. I think for the average person a 11, a 12, and a 13 teeth cog are too small. Heck even 52 x 14 is to high a gear for a lot of folks.

Cheers
Yup. Makes no sense. Wasted cogs most of the time. But with 11 and 12 cog cassettes now, I suppose having a few useless ones doesn't really matter.
Even when racing, I rarely used my 12 cog.

Back when people knew how to drive a manual transmission car, you could make the comparison of driving in 4th or 5th gear all the time, instead of shifting to a lower gear so the engine was at a better rpm.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-27-19 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-28-19, 05:11 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
a 52-14 is a 99 inch gear. At 85 rpm you are going 25 mph and at 105 you are doing 31 mph. How fast do you want to go?
I'm not fit and can reach 25 mph on flat ground (for a short moment). A 52-14 is really easy to spin out in a descent IMHO. I sometimes spin out my 50-11 which is a higher gear...

Anyway, I think freewheels are limited to 14T, so I think the only solution is increasing the chainring size if the FD accepts that.
Old 11-28-19, 05:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Apparently the Shimano 11 teeth freewheels are discontinued. I did find that SunRace makes a 13 teeth cog 7-speed freewheel. You might be able to find a NOS 11 teeth freewheel on Ebay or similar online shopping place.

Cheers
Old 11-29-19, 04:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Yup. Makes no sense. Wasted cogs most of the time. But with 11 and 12 cog cassettes now, I suppose having a few useless ones doesn't really matter.
Even when racing, I rarely used my 12 cog.

Back when people knew how to drive a manual transmission car, you could make the comparison of driving in 4th or 5th gear all the time, instead of shifting to a lower gear so the engine was at a better rpm.
I'm not really keen on 11T or 12T cogs either, but "wasted cogs" mean a mistake was made when picking out chainrings and cassettes, IMO.

For the time being, I'm set for cassettes that start with 13T. But I plan to adapt if/when I move on to 11/12-speed. By substituting a smaller-than-traditional big ring, here's 12-speed reimagining of Drew Eckhardt 's gearing that doesn't give up anything, I think.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-29-19 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-29-19, 08:38 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

A cousin of mine just offered me an old 27" rim with some rusty spokes and a 13T/26T cassette on it with really good looking teeth. I'm going to have to put some work in the hub (clean and grease) and throw a tire on it, but if the 13T gear gives me the upshift that I'm looking for, I'll be a happy camper! Suddenly I can't wait to head home haha. Who called this hobby an addiction?
Old 11-29-19, 09:03 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I'm not fit and can reach 25 mph on flat ground (for a short moment). A 52-14 is really easy to spin out in a descent IMHO. I sometimes spin out my 50-11 which is a higher gear..
Again, most need-for-speed comments are I-don't-like-pedaling-fast comments in disguise---or, more accurately, I-don't-like-pedaling-fast-downhill comments.
Old 03-05-20, 11:20 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Okay, an update on the gearing. I put new skin on the old rim and got it all cleaned up and greased. Turns out that 13T sprocket is just what the doctor ordered. My easy cruise speed is now about 20MPH with a 4 MPH headwind and I no longer feel a need to upshift to a higher gear. I did lose a couple of teeth on my larger gear (26 to 24) but I'll worry about that when I hit the long climb. For now it's all good! Thanks for all the 'nice' comments regarding cadence. I'm a masher-always have been and always will be.