Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's in your portable bicycle toolkit?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 09:58 AM
pizza777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually carry a portable pump, chain lube, a patch kit and one of those topeak multi tools. I also have a bike with bolt on wheels. I was initially going to make a 120mm quick release rear wheel but I figured it would be easier just to get a pair of hex ratchets to put in my portable kit. Can anyone recommend me a cheap, lightweight pair of ratchets to carry with me?

I'm looking for one of these but I don't know what size I should get?

Chrome Vanadium Steel Ratchet Combination Spanner Wrench (12mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Last edited by pizza777; 04-09-14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-09-14, 10:47 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I quit carrying lube with me, since I never used it.

For the bolt on wheels, I wouldn't worry about ratcheting, just get box/open wrenches since you shouldn't have to use them much. Lighter, cheaper, and no ratcheting mechanism to get fouled up. Also, you usually only have to loosen the nuts a couple of turns to remove a wheel.

I have been known to carry a small crescent wrench with me, even though my wheels are quick release. That way I have the flexibility to do what I need, and can help others if they use a different size. However, with your message, I just realized that there are times when a second wrench would be useful.

You can also look into the stamped steel "bicycle wrenches" that you can sometimes find for cheap (or at least used to be able to) as they often have holes and slots for a variety of bolts, including pedals etc.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-09-14, 11:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Depends on how far IM riding .. locally A puncture is all I worry about .

thorn resistant tubes in Schwalbe marathon plus tires I don't even sweat that .
Old 04-09-14, 11:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6233 Post(s)
Liked 4,239 Times in 2,377 Posts
Originally Posted by pizza777
I usually carry chain lube, a patch kit and one of those topeak multi tools. I also have a bike with bolt on wheels. I was initially going to make a 120mm quick release rear wheel but I figured it would be easier just to get a pair of hex ratchets to put in my portable kit. Can anyone recommend me a cheap, lightweight pair of ratchets to carry with me?

I'm looking for one of these but I don't know what size I should get?

Chrome Vanadium Steel Ratchet Combination Spanner Wrench (12mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The wrench should probably be a 15mm. But a quick release make life easier. No tools.

And don't buy the tool from DealExtreme. Your local hardware store should have them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-09-14, 01:19 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I maintain my bikes carefully, so there are rarely mechanical surprises. So, what I carry depends on the type of ride:

Road, <3 hour - flat repair* only

Road, >3 hour, supported - flat repair* plus a multi-tool (mostly to help others)

Road, >3 hour, unsupported, includes short/day touring - flat repair*, multitool, spares (1 inner cable each, extra tube, quick link, zip ties, duct tape), presta-to-schrader adapter, and maybe a leatherman

MTB (any duration) - flat repair*, multitool with chain tool, spare links and quick link, and spare derailleur hanger. If I'm riding with anyone with a nutted axle, I bring a stubby 15mm box wrench, too.

* flat repair = 1 spare tube, 1 patch kit, 2 tire levers, hand pump, tire boot
Old 04-09-14, 01:46 PM
t x

Bikes: Windsor The Hour Plus, 2014 Novara Verita, Windsor Oxford

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For almost all rides I carry just a patch kit & topeak multi tool. If I'm riding my single speed bike I carry this wrench: Amazon.com: Portland Design Works 3 Wrencho Tire Lever (Coated): Sports & Outdoors and my super small multi tool, otherwise the larger multi tool is in the saddle bag of my hybrid along with some plastic tire levers.

For rides > 1hr I'm usually on my hybrid which also has a frame pump.
Old 04-09-14, 02:58 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a lot more than I need to:

a set of allen wrenches
set of combination wrenches
Park MTB-3 multi tool
chain tool
cassette removal tool
bottom bracket tool
chain whip
crank tool
tire irons
diagonal cutters
patch kit
extra tube
2 pumps, one is also my seat post
a selection of 1/4" bits with driver
spare front & rear shift cables
spare front & rear brake cables

That is in addition to the EDC tools that I carry on my person.
Old 04-09-14, 03:04 PM
pizza777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually was planning to get a rear wheel rim with quick release but the slimmest I found was 126mm and my bike has 120mm rear spacing. I think I glanced around it it said something about having to shave it down and it potentially not holding the wheel strongly enough as bolted on so I figured why go through all that trouble when I can just carry two ratchets with me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-7-Spee...item460e1f982c

Last edited by pizza777; 04-09-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-09-14, 08:57 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
My usual:
CO2 inflator and 2+ CO2 cartridges, depending on distance
1 spare tube
1 patch kit
1 boot
2 tire levers
Park Tool MT-1 "dogbone" multi-tool

If the bike I'm taking has a pump mounted on it, scratch the CO2.

And add a crescent wrench when I'm riding with my daughters for things like bolt-on wheels.
Old 04-10-14, 08:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Patch kit--tubes-mini pump-CO2 inflater and bottles--bike multi tool---leatherman tool--tire boot--quick link--6 in adj wrench--$10 bill--rags---bottle of alcohol--first aid kit
Old 04-10-14, 09:02 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,815 Posts
Patch kit, 2 tubes, multitool, tire levers, var tire jack, dogbone wrench, pump, nitrile gloves, small first aid kit, cotton ball to find stuff stuck in tire I can't see, hmmm, I think that's about it.

Old 04-10-14, 09:17 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Multi-bike tool, pump, extra tube, patch kit, tire levers, needle-nose pliers, 4" adjustable wrench, a couple of presta to schraeder adapters, cloth band-aids and a couple of wire/zip ties. Also, I'm going to add a small pair of vice grips. I saw a pair the other day that I swear was under 3". Was feeling proud of my self at the time for not giving in to the buying impulse. Now I have to have them........ they're just so damn cute.

I like the cotton ball idea. Great idea for finding that elusive puncture culprit.

Last edited by slorollin; 04-10-14 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-14, 09:27 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,815 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to hunt down one of my presta to schraeder adapters. Don't know where they wandered off too, but I didn't see on the last time I'd repacked by bag.

Old 04-10-14, 09:38 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau
Thanks for the reminder to hunt down one of my presta to schraeder adapters. Don't know where they wandered off too, but I didn't see on the last time I'd repacked by bag.
I buy them 5 at a time and try to spread them throughout my bike world. I put them in jacket pockets, bike bag, taped to my pump, on tool bench, in that dish where I throw my keys and my top dresser drawer.........they still disappear quickly.
Old 04-10-14, 09:56 AM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty simple. Multi-bike tool, spare tube, C02 inflator + 2 cartridges, tire levers, and of course a cellphone for this mechanical failures that can be fixed on the road .
Old 04-10-14, 11:42 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
◘ Park Tool Patch kit
◘ Topeak Alien II Multitool
◘ Spare Tube + Tire
◘ Topeak Mini Morph Frame Pump
◘ Small Roll of Electrical Tape
◘ Long 15mm Crescent Wrench
◘ Kaito KA200 Radio (to avoid boredom during a fix)

It seems a bit overkill to some of the riders I know, but I don't call for a bail-out unless every other possible option has been exhausted. Most of the other cyclists I know tell me that they only carry their cell phones, but I rarely ride at a time when I know someone would be available to come and pick me up; nor would I want to inconvenience anyone, if at all possible.

Edit: Forgot to add radio.

Last edited by deeth82; 04-10-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 04:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Some of you cats are pretty wild! Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been riding all kinds of bikes all kind of places, on trails and on roads, since '86 non-stop, and the number of times I've had a disabling and irreparable breakdown I can't even recall exactly, but can't be more than a few times. Maybe a couple, even; I do remember one time, in the days before cell phones (okay, maybe there were bag phones!), having to go knocking on a farmhouse door for use of the phone. Bikes have gotten so much better and reliable since then. If your bike still has bolts that need counter holds, then yeah, carry a couple of adjustables, or better yet, upgrade that sh*t! It'll be more reliable!

Anyway, I carry a Ritchey CPR9 multitool, spare tube, patch kit, $10 bill, one zip tie, and a pair of tire levers. Oh, I think there's a safety pin in most of the saddle bag kits, too. I do carry my cell phone as a matter of course nowadays as well, safely tucked away in the seat bag, ringer off!
Old 04-10-14, 06:38 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I pull my Binford air compressor with a multitude of pneumatic tools in my panniers.
Old 04-11-14, 09:58 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big chainring
I pull my Binford air compressor with a multitude of pneumatic tools in my panniers.
Old 04-11-14, 12:55 PM
stevebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat kit, 1 tube, CO2 inflator.

It helps to pack your tube in a plastic sandwich bag with talcum powder. The powder makes it easier to get the tube in place.
Old 04-11-14, 01:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by stevebiker

It helps to pack your tube in a plastic sandwich bag with talcum powder. The powder makes it easier to get the tube in place.
Interesting. Can't say I ever had a problem getting the tube in place. I also can't say I'd want to deal with that powdery mess.
Old 04-11-14, 03:01 PM
Pidge

Bikes: Mongoose bmx. Specialized bmx. Trek mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For mountain bike it's Multi tool, hex set, patch kit, 2 tubes, pump. Recently added some tire levers, though my tires are pretty easy to manage by hand. One of my backpacks also has a gauge. For just cruising around on the bmx, a thin mini-wrench like what comes in patch kits (front axle nuts loosen on their own sometimes), and maaaybe a little pump too.

And if you count the phone, then yeah, I take that with me every time I leave the house too.

Last edited by Pidge; 04-11-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-11-14, 03:55 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park Tool Patch Kit
Frame pump
Topeak Alien 2
Tire levers
Spare tube
Leatherman Skeletool, with bit extension and 40-bit kit (my EDC)
an old kitchen towel
Old 04-12-14, 08:00 AM
scootaloo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Quick 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry my fare card so I can get on a bus or a train that will get me to a bike shop.

Cities have their advantages
Old 04-13-14, 04:08 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
2 tubes, levers, full size frame pump.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.