Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking in the rain

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 10:19 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yeas I do, not just rain but also snow and ice. That's why all my bikes have full fenders. I consider full fenders to be the most important accessory on the bike.
I am going to see if my bike fork has holes where I could install a front fender
This way water will not spray into my eyes and face from the tires
Likes For grantelmwood:
Old 06-27-23, 10:19 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
If water is spraying in your face, it's not from your own tires.
Then where is it from?
Old 06-27-23, 10:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Then where is it from?
Good question. It's not your front tire. When I ride in the rain, water on my face is either coming from the rear tire of a bike in front of me, or the sky. While I'm riding, my head is not behind the trailing edge of the front tire. Water would have to be flung vertically or slightly forward to be in line with my face...but there's a bike frame in the way.
Old 06-27-23, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Good question. It's not your front tire. When I ride in the rain, water on my face is either coming from the rear tire of a bike in front of me, or the sky. While I'm riding, my head is not behind the trailing edge of the front tire. Water would have to be flung vertically or slightly forward to be in line with my face...but there's a bike frame in the way.
He knows all that. Cut off its food supply.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-27-23, 11:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I've been hit in the face w/ splash-up & mud bits front the front wheel (back 1/2) when the wheel was off parallel to the frame, as-in an abrupt turn, especially on a mountain bike

with my bikes w/ front fenders, in the rain. at speed, the water that is tossed out the front/top of the tire, from under the fender tip, has flown up, in the wind, at my face
Old 06-27-23, 11:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
If riding in the rain is going to be a regular feature of your riding, get full fenders. Ones with deep flaps are best. If your bike has fender eyes on the dropouts, good but if not, use P-clamps or the like. I am sure there are lots of YouTube videos out there on how to do it. Bikes that have fender clearance issues around the front and rea brake, brake bridge and fork crown can use River City's fender brackets where you cut the fender and mount the pieces separately behind and in front of the fork or bridge. They work very well and many have made similar ones with materials on hand.

Tires - some are treacherous when the roads are wet, some are excellent. I could say what I use but tires are like religion so I won't. Lower pressure always helps wet road grip until tires get too squishy. So bigger tires give you more margin to go lower; a big help. (But virtually all bikes limit how fat a tire they can fit.)

Brakes - like tires, there are brakes from excellent to very poor in the wet in most forms of brakes. Brakes are a subject again like religion. But optimizing the brakes you have and keeping them in good order could well be the difference between sleeping at home some night or at the ER. Many older types of brakes can be improved greatly with simple upgrades like cables and housing, pads and attention to details.

Drive trains - derailleur drive trains do not like rust. Chains do not like rust. Chain rust is unavoidable unless you stay on top of lubrication. Many of us who ride regularly in the rain do not use derailleur bikes. Simplifies things a lot. (Again, this is getting close to religion.)

Bike maintenance - water causes rust. Taken to extremes, nice steel parts evolve to red-brown powder. Adjacent steel parts merge and become one. With dissimilar metals, the electrons like to go for excursions; depositing themselves as useless powder over here and leaving rotten metal at their starting point. Electrolysis. Your first defense is grease. Between metals. On threads. Lots of clean grease in bearings. (Now many bearing come as sealed units; some poorly and to be considered almost expendable and some very well that run trouble free through all kinds of wet for years and decades.) There's lots of info here in BF and elsewhere. And just as much religion. The Commuter forum is a good place to go. Smaller egos and more interest in what will get them through the next winter.

Eyewear - I wear glasses. Have yet to find a goggle that didn't fog my lenses when worn over and do not want on-the-bike only glasses and have to carry also regular glasses so I buy glasses with frames that work on and off the bike. In the wet - that fender! Yes! Helmets with visors help a lot. Then it is moisture management. A smooth film of water doesn't distort vision a lot. Too many droplets does. I wipe my lenses with a clean wet finger to get the smooth film. Been known to stop and lick my glasses clean. And some rides just suck. Every once in a while, truly dangerous. But I've had rides (and even races back when) in solid rain and they have been pure bliss.

Clothing - another religion. I'm a huge fan of the modern fabrics. Coolmax or the like against my skin. Layers. I love the new jackets that claim "breathable" but that is so religion-like I won't say more. Shoes - likewise, except - if you ever ride and get so wet your socks are soaked - make sure you have adequate holes in your shoe soles. Under your toes or ball of the foot. My first rain race wae 4 1/2 hours of solid rain. By hour two we were as wet as we could get. Hour three the peloton talk evolved to discussing what brand tires tasted best. And at the finish, we all had to listen to the sad stories of the riders with no holes in their shoes. Squish, squish ever pedal stroke. The rest of us just rode the race with wet feet and never thought about it.

This from a guy who's ridden in the rain the past 50 years. No car and never lived walking distance from work or stores 'till my thirties. Spent three years living the life of a bike racer in New England and trained in all weather. Spent the next 20 years commuting 3 days a week by bike regardless of weather. I'm 70 now and the slips on wet leaves, etc. often break bones so I'm getting more careful and riding in the wet a lot less. Good thing for me is that 1) tires are getting better. 2) I now have so many bikes I have several excellent rain bikes. (And all my good bikes but one can be fendered up in 10 minutes.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-27-23, 12:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Then where is it from?
This is why I have all water that hits my face dusted for prints.

TBH, I rarely bother with front fenders, because the water that splashes me is from the rear tire and it hits me in my back. I knw this because it generally carries bits of sand and dirt with it, leaving the infamous stripe on the back. If it's raining, water is going to hit your face.

BTW, the knobbier the tire, the more not water crap that gets kicked up. I don't ride anything but road tires, so can't say that I wouldn't find front fenders useful if I rode dirt paths in the rain.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-27-23, 01:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
TBH, I rarely bother with front fenders, because the water that splashes me is from the rear tire and it hits me in my back.
True, the spray from a front tire won't hit your face; it will hit your feet, bottom bracket, pedals, chain...Lots of bits that don't like dirty water.
Old 06-27-23, 02:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Koyote
True, the spray from a front tire won't hit your face; it will hit your feet, bottom bracket, pedals, chain...Lots of bits that don't like dirty water.

Yup, fenders don't go that low. If I ride in wet conditions, I assume my legs will be a mess.
Old 06-27-23, 02:12 PM
Koyote

Yup, fenders don't go that low. If I ride in wet conditions, I assume my legs will be a mess.
Oh, you can get fenders that go low enough...Then add one of these, attached so that it goes to about 2" from ground level.
Old 06-27-23, 02:19 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I ride rain or shine. Nothing special bike wise. Clothing choices, it depends on the temperature. These days most of my daily riding is trail riding. I ride even in a deluge.

When on a tour, I usually ride on rainy days, but might hang out in camp for a while in the morning if it is raining hard. If it doesn't let up I typically get bored by mid morning and break camp and head out.

Last edited by staehpj1; 06-27-23 at 03:30 PM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-27-23, 02:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I ride rain or shine. Noting special bike wise. Clothing choices it depends on the temperature. These days most of my daily riding is trail riding. I ride even in a deluge.

When on a tour, I usually ride on rainy days, but might hang out in camp for a while in the morning if it is raining hard. If it doesn't let up I typically get bored by mid morning and break camp and head out.

Stop that, you're making me feel wimpy!
Old 06-27-23, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

This is why I have all water that hits my face dusted for prints.

TBH, I rarely bother with front fenders, because the water that splashes me is from the rear tire and it hits me in my back. I knw this because it generally carries bits of sand and dirt with it, leaving the infamous stripe on the back. If it's raining, water is going to hit your face.

BTW, the knobbier the tire, the more not water crap that gets kicked up. I don't ride anything but road tires, so can't say that I wouldn't find front fenders useful if I rode dirt paths in the rain.
In all my years of touring, where I usually usually didn’t have a choice about riding in the rain, I’ve never used fenders. I tote my tent and ground sheet on my rear rack, parallel to the bike. That acts as a fender to keep the spray/grit/grime off my back. I’m always amazed when someone says a front fender keeps your feet dry. Maybe in a light rain, but if it’s pouring, the water is going to get to them one way or another.

One dry day I hit a section of disguised, thick mud. The bike sank over and inch up the spokes. The spokes acted like fan blades. Mud went everywhere. Fenders would have been clogged. I had a hard enough time cleaning the exposed parts of the bike with a power washer at a car wash about 8 miles away. Cleaning between the fenders and tires would probably have been really tough.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-27-23, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
In all my years of touring, where I usually usually didn’t have a choice about riding in the rain, I’ve never used fenders. I tote my tent and ground sheet on my rear rack, parallel to the bike. That acts as a fender to keep the spray/grit/grime off my back. I’m always amazed when someone says a front fender keeps your feet dry. Maybe in a light rain, but if it’s pouring, the water is going to get to them one way or another.

One dry day I hit a section of disguised, thick mud. The bike sank over and inch up the spokes. The spokes acted like fan blades. Mud went everywhere. Fenders would have been clogged. I had a hard enough time cleaning the exposed parts of the bike with a power washer at a car wash about 8 miles away. Cleaning between the fenders and tires would probably have been really tough.
I get annoyed when a dead leaf gets into one. Have to stop to make sure the sound isn't something broken.
Old 06-27-23, 03:05 PM
Koyote

I’m always amazed when someone says a front fender keeps your feet dry. Maybe in a light rain, but if it’s pouring, the water is going to get to them one way or another.
If it's raining enough, yeah, your feet will get soaked. Everything will get soaked. But a sufficiently long front fender keeps the dirty roadspray from ALL landing on your feet, chain, cranks, FD, pedals, BB, etc. Water is one thing...water that is mixed with dirt, oil, etc, is another.

​​​​​​
Yep. Fenders aren't great if you might encounter something like that.
Old 06-27-23, 03:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If it's raining enough, yeah, your feet will get soaked. Everything will get soaked. But a sufficiently long front fender keeps the dirty roadspray from ALL landing on your feet, chain, cranks, FD, pedals, BB, etc. Water is one thing...water that is mixed with dirt, oil, etc, is another.

​​​​​​

Agreed and that's the main reason why i ride with full fenders. Sure I get wet from rain but at least I don't get splattered with dirty roadspray. Especially important during winter when there is a lot of road salt and de-icing chemicals on the roads plus a little bit of extra protection for bottom bracket and headset. Can't go wrong with fenders.
Old 06-27-23, 03:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I get annoyed when a dead leaf gets into one. Have to stop to make sure the sound isn't something broken.
That's a very minor issue, not worth stressing about.
Old 06-27-23, 03:57 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
He knows all that. Cut off its food supply.
The principle is spot on, the execution is where things bog down . . . . . over and over and over again.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-27-23, 04:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I've been hit in the face w/ splash-up & mud bits front the front wheel (back 1/2) when the wheel was off parallel to the frame, as-in an abrupt turn, especially on a mountain bike

with my bikes w/ front fenders, in the rain. at speed, the water that is tossed out the front/top of the tire, from under the fender tip, has flown up, in the wind, at my face
I rode motorcycles in the mud and the front tire flings the mud up and ahead of you, so you ride right into it.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-27-23, 10:15 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I do my very best to avoid riding in the rain. It happens from time to time though.
Old 06-28-23, 04:43 AM
indyfabz

That's is annoying as hell. Leafs seems to like to get stuck in canti brakes.

Imagine all that crap stuck underneath a fender.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-28-23, 06:42 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Physics 101
Any of you even own a bike?
Ever seen the mud stripe on your back after a rain?
Also NoT FrOM YoUr TirEs ????

Old 06-28-23, 06:44 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by rumrunn6

That's because you actually own a bike and have actually ridden in the rain.
Old 06-28-23, 06:46 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by big john
I rode motorcycles in the mud and the front tire flings the mud up and ahead of you, so you ride right into it.
BuT ThE MuD Is NoT ComInG FrOm YoUr TiReS !!
Old 06-28-23, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Food supply, folks.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.