Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Drawing Paper?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Drawing Paper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 05:15 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Drawing Paper?

So I am starting to consider a frame project for this winter. The last frame I did ,for my wife, I pieced together smaller sheets of white drawing paper. But would like to use large sheets.
So does anyone know of a source for 36" wide paper? When I do a search it comes up "tracing paper" and I suspect this will be too thin.
Thanks!
Old 07-28-23, 05:52 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
remembering back to my drafting days on a drafting table, vellum (tracing paper) was available in different weights. 20lb vellum is fairly robust. I'd rather draw on vellum than bond paper.
Old 07-28-23, 05:58 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
So I am starting to consider a frame project for this winter. The last frame I did ,for my wife, I pieced together smaller sheets of white drawing paper. But would like to use large sheets.
So does anyone know of a source for 36" wide paper? When I do a search it comes up "tracing paper" and I suspect this will be too thin.
Thanks!
When I was an IT consultant, a few of my clients were architecture firms. Their plotters were loaded with big rolls of paper in various widths, 24" was common but I remember seeing a lot of 36" too, even 42". Running off a length of paper out of the plotter and cutting it off would be a 15-second job, but not a money-maker for them so they might politely tell you to get lost. But maybe you have a friend who works in architecture?

If you have to buy a whole roll, those are generally 100 to 150 feet of paper and cost $30-$80. I've never bought a roll myself, that just what I'm seeing in a brief search. Example here
Old 07-28-23, 08:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
There is an art store in town with large rolls of vellum. I imagine that any place with an architecture school has similar. I think you can get cutoffs, so you don't have to spend $100+ on a roll
Old 07-28-23, 09:35 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
My office has a 36" plotter for maps and graphics. I have used the back of draft maps that work pretty well and there were being tossed anyway. Maybe ask a Kinkos or something similar if they have mistakes you could have?
Old 07-28-23, 10:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I haven't been in the kinkos here since they moved. I always wanted to have a bikecad pdf printed full size on their large format plotter. They never managed to impress me with their prowess with the equipment though.
Old 07-28-23, 11:10 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Construction companies! My in-law used to operate her company and on occasion printed images for me on blueprint paper.
Old 07-28-23, 02:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
My first few frames were drafted out on what was called sign paper. 36" wide brown paper off a roll. The last couple that I used a full scale drafting for were on sheet that I got from a now long gone drafting supply store. Andy
Old 07-28-23, 05:02 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
CAD draw the image, save it to an .svg or .pdf and have it reproduced as a poster.
Old 07-28-23, 05:02 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Check with Staples. They used to be able to print on 36" paper.

Also look at Sketchup, it's a free online CAD program.
Old 12-08-23, 07:13 AM
dschad

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, SWB home-built recumbent and a couple other uninteresting ones.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
A bit of an old thread here, but "butcher paper" (basically the same as a paper grocery bag) or protective paper during construction is a good option. You can get rolls at big box home improvement type stores. It is 3' wide and a mile long. Very durable, so you can keep erasing when you make changes.
Old 12-08-23, 07:34 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
My wife is a teacher and like a good student I asked her where she gets the rolls of paper to cover the bulletin boards in her classroom. "Hobby Lobby, dear."

Go to hobbylobby.com and put into the search "rolls of paper" and it will come up. I just did it and I know it will take you to rolls of paper. If you are drawing out a smaller frame, say 56cm or less a 24" width paper should work as it will fit the page. I have a 30" width roll of paper and draw frames up to 62cm on it. Oh, the price is less than 10 bucks.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-08-23, 11:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Now I want to have my frame design as a poster. So I don't lose it.
Old 12-08-23, 12:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Vellum vs copier rolls - erasure! When it comes to erasing multiple times and redrawing, vellum has it all over just about any paper. Just be sure to use a good eraser, like the white Hi-Polymer Pentel or the likewise Statler Mars eraser I haven't seen in years. Both are excellent. Non-abrasive and non-smudging. They last forever. That 30year old one in some former engineer's drawing box will erase like new.

Ship hulls were drawn on "lines drawings", two dimensional drawings of the the dimensional shape of a ship or boat. 3 different views, side, section and looking up from below. Each view has a grid. The lines on all three views have to jibe with each other. Lots of erasing. And some of those lines are 4 to 8 feet long. All done on computer now but I was of the last generation to be taught the old way. Worked in shipyard where the drawings we pulled out when a fishing boat came in for modification were the old, pencil drawn vellums. I transferred more than a few to computer and really appreciated the drawings done accurately (and with lots of erasure!)

I haven't bought drafting supplies in many years so papers surely have changed but I doubt much work has happened on making paper that can match vellum for erasure simply because so few people do hand drafting now. That inked or tonered or laser jetted plot isn't going to see much hand anything beyond markups to send to the CAD man so he can update the drawing and re-plot.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-08-23, 04:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm pretty sure you can still get vellum. I have a lifetime supply, but no access to a drafting table to use it on.

I fixed my mayline drafting board a couple of years ago, but I could only draw a scale drawing of a frame on it.
Old 12-08-23, 07:23 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I did find a roll of 36" wide paper. I have my woodworking bench that will serve as a table.
But I have been working on a metal lathe that I bought about 6 weeks ago. A Logan 200 1943 vintage. Taken it completely apart and almost ready for reassembling!
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 12-08-23, 07:34 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
But I have been working on a metal lathe that I bought about 6 weeks ago. A Logan 200 1943 vintage. Taken it completely apart and almost ready for reassembling!
Pictures, PLEASE!!
Old 12-09-23, 04:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have my woodworking bench that will serve as a table.
this reminds me, my woodworking bench is mostly cleaned off for the moment. I should really take a picture before that changes.
Old 12-12-23, 06:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Note of interest: The original copy of the US Constitution was written on Vellum paper. Not sure of the significance of this, but maybe the person who physically wrote the copy earning him about 3500 dollars in today's money, was betting on being able to erase spelling errors?