Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My pumphead keeps leaking. Anybody have a favorite?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

My pumphead keeps leaking. Anybody have a favorite?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 05:18 PM
Raleigh71

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
One issue I hadn't considered is: The diameter of the tubing varies, and the pump heads might not be compatible. My "Ascent" pump has a 10 mm diameter air tube whereas another pump I have has an 8 mm air hose. The larger pump air hose wasn't compatible with the replacement pumphead which was designed for 8 mm hoses.
Old 12-23-23, 10:38 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
I thread onto my valve stem every time, and it isn't that big of a deal for a couple of bike wheels. It does take an extra second, but the connection always works perfectly. Also, I think the head is more durable because it has no levers and isn't really any wider than the hose. If I was doing dozens of wheels, I would look for something else.
Old 12-23-23, 11:36 AM
Raleigh71

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I thread onto my valve stem every time, and it isn't that big of a deal for a couple of bike wheels. It does take an extra second, but the connection always works perfectly. Also, I think the head is more durable because it has no levers and isn't really any wider than the hose. If I was doing dozens of wheels, I would look for something else.
The problem I have with screw-on pump heads is: in the second or two that you're unscrewing it you lose enough air in high pressure tires to significantly drop the pressure from where you want it. One option would be to over pump it to a significantly higher air pressure but I'm afraid of blowing the tube. This isn't an issue with low pressure high volume 'fat' bike tires or cars.
Old 12-23-23, 11:44 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
The problem I have with screw-on pump heads is: in the second or two that you're unscrewing it you lose enough air in high pressure tires to significantly drop the pressure from where you want it.
This shouldn’t happen when done properly. It’s just a PITA to have to screw it on and screw it off every time. Get a Hiro or Hirame and don’t think about it anymore.
Old 12-23-23, 01:00 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Interesting convergence: I use Hirame or Lezyne ABS-1 Pro, depending on the pump. A good feature of that particular Lezyne chuck is that it immediately turns at the right angle, mitigating problems with unscrewing a wrong part. Another good feature is the pressure release button for Presta. I use both Presta and Schrader versions of Hirame. A good source for the Hirame heads is Alex's Cycles. When I buy something that will serve me a long time, I buy replacement parts within the same order, so I have a ton of Hirame washers in stock.
Old 12-24-23, 10:12 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve had a couple of Park Tool pumps and was very disappointed in that head. I don’t know if it gets junk in it or what but that head tends to fail to close the low pressure side and are kind of a pain to use. The rest of the pump isn’t anything to write home about either. Both of the ones I had had head sealing problems and had pressure gauges that failed.
I bought a SKS double-head, and that's what happened very soon.

I went back to my Nashbar L'Orange V2, which has a unique (I think) screw-out/flip-over barrel to handle Presta/Schraeder

I tried opening up the SKS head to see if I could fix it, but got nowhere. Is there anything to make it work properly?
Old 12-28-23, 03:08 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I like the EVT 2-in-1 pump head. It has a urethane pump washer that EVT says is, "More durable, works better, lasts longer!"

Old 12-29-23, 04:09 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Years ago I replaced the Silca head and hose with the Topeak Smarthead kit, with the lever. I'm not sure they still sell them or not, but they don't leak. As noted here, there are better pumps around though, so whether not it's worth buy a new head is up to you. I was gifted a floor pump so never use my Silca anymore. I can't even recall the brand, but it's much more efficient than the Silca.