Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which BB tool?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Which BB tool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 06:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Which BB tool?

I have this kit that I bought from Nashbar probably 15 years ago (I've seen the exact same kit branded many ways, this link is now Spin Doctor)

After probably 10-20 successful uses, the BB tool died today, mushing out so the splines are now useless. Time to invest in a real tool.

That Spin Doctor link just says
  • (1) Integrated bottom bracket wrench
  • (1) Integrated bottom bracket wrench adapter
  • (1) Cartridge bottom bracket tool
So I'm not exactly sure -- is that the same as BBT-22 and this Pedro's 20-spline tool? (Why would Park name the 20-spline tool the BBT-22 instead of the BBT-20?)
Old 01-14-24, 07:25 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Yes, the Pedros tool in your link is the same as the Park BBT-22. Can't vouch for sure how good the Pedros tool is but I would guess it's a quality tool. I own one of the Park BBT-22's and it's solid. Probably would rip your BB shell out of the frame before the tool would fail. The "22" is just their part designation having nothing to do with the number of splines. I also own a Spin Doctor version and there is some minor damage on the teeth while the Park looks the same as when I bought it new years ago.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-14-24 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-14-24, 10:15 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I like this tool by Shimano - very durable (you need a 32 mm socket/wrench to "operate" it):
TL-UN74-S

The good thing about its design is I can easily put some spacers (if the axle is so long it protrudes when the tool is put in place) and washers to keep it in place using a square taper crank bolt.
That helps a lot when starting to unscrew some very stuck bottom brackets.

Relja
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 01-15-24, 03:16 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I have this kit that I bought from Nashbar probably 15 years ago (I've seen the exact same kit branded many ways, this link is now Spin Doctor)

After probably 10-20 successful uses, the BB tool died today, mushing out so the splines are now useless. Time to invest in a real tool.

So I'm not exactly sure -- is that the same as BBT-22 and this Pedro's 20-spline tool? (Why would Park name the 20-spline tool the BBT-22 instead of the BBT-20?)
Same tool. Park Tool numbers their items in order, so it was the 22nd BBT tool they made..

Just curious, have you tried grinding down the tooth end of the Nashbar tool so you have a fresh surface, might need some clean up with a small file to get burrs off.

Old 01-15-24, 03:29 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Do you use a bolt to retain the tool?

Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-15-24, 04:18 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Pedro's tool as it's as shop worthy as any Park tool. I'm surprised any splined BB tool would fail though as the splines of cartridges are usually the weakest link, especially if aluminum. Some cartridges also have notably more shallow splines, notably the RPM/FSA 7420 models. Shimano and Tange are nice and deep. Making sure the splines are engaged fully is also a no brainer regardless of the tool or BB.
Old 01-15-24, 08:37 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Thanks all!
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
I like this tool by Shimano - very durable (you need a 32 mm socket/wrench to "operate" it):
TL-UN74-S

The good thing about its design is I can easily put some spacers (if the axle is so long it protrudes when the tool is put in place) and washers to keep it in place using a square taper crank bolt.
That helps a lot when starting to unscrew some very stuck bottom brackets.
That looks about the same as Park's BBT-32 (which is cheaper than BBT-22, and the Shimano tool cheaper than both). I'm not sure what you're describing with the spacers and washers. Are you talking like Bill Kapaun is saying about holding the tool in with a bolt?

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Same tool. Park Tool numbers their items in order, so it was the 22nd BBT tool they made..

Just curious, have you tried grinding down the tooth end of the Nashbar tool so you have a fresh surface, might need some clean up with a small file to get burrs off.
I don't have a grinder. I have a few files, but in this case I'm willing to spend a few bucks on a higher quality tool.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Do you use a bolt to retain the tool?
I don't have a long bolt with that threading, but you're right I could probably wander down to Lowe's and pick one up. I'm also not sure though that my only/little adjustable wrench opens that big. I had been using the insert to convert from the square hole in the tool to 8mm

Originally Posted by Garthr
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Pedro's tool as it's as shop worthy as any Park tool. I'm surprised any splined BB tool would fail though as the splines of cartridges are usually the weakest link, especially if aluminum. Some cartridges also have notably more shallow splines, notably the RPM/FSA 7420 models. Shimano and Tange are nice and deep. Making sure the splines are engaged fully is also a no brainer regardless of the tool or BB.
Yes probably I didn't brainer. I couldn't crack the drive side free with all my weight on my hands, so I tried stepping on it. Probably without hands the tool was not in securely.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 01-15-24, 08:39 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

And while I'm asking stupid questions....

The drive side BB is the one that's reverse threaded, right? That's how I mushed it, trying to rightie-loosie on the drive side with my foot. (If I was going the wrong direction that would explain why it wouldn't come out)
Old 01-15-24, 08:48 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
The drive side BB is the one that's reverse threaded, right? T
Yes, Clockwise to loosen. I don't mind answering the question at all but if you need an instant answer to this question, it can easily be found all over the internet.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-15-24 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-15-24, 09:11 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Thanks all!

That looks about the same as Park's BBT-32 (which is cheaper than BBT-22, and the Shimano tool cheaper than both). I'm not sure what you're describing with the spacers and washers. Are you talking like Bill Kapaun is saying about holding the tool in with a bolt?
Yes - that photo explains it better than I could.

I don't have a long bolt with that threading, but you're right I could probably wander down to Lowe's and pick one up. I'm also not sure though that my only/little adjustable wrench opens that big. I had been using the insert to convert from the square hole in the tool to 8mm
That's an M8 x 1 mm thread (the "fine M8 thread") - some hardware stores (in my city at least) have that.
I bought a long one just for that purpose.

My bicycle bolt size & pitch list

Relja
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 01-15-24, 09:19 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I got one of these. Looks twinky but I used it with a Shimano tool on a BB that I had to hammer loose. Obviously it will work on anything

amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4CTTPC6cfPm4DeaSSYeJO%2BiJOYVSKoU6kxmNwt7zlnuWRAWQ3faUca2ssvwwnzkWLqFAo7W%2FVbr 9y%2BWmr6jP9fy1eqgpPLUp5NWIE0lK%2FwYurFYo3kzwsPXXy22MzQtMwvzm%2B582UcHJgbuzYv8nHMjyIUBrNU9sG4U84TJdd 4tKTvKUVXtrDwZyKgWwa1aq7HEQLUEaWRWtjtzsaJbU2jcixgEjQOZuOrG8b9bDGsUzC5xtWfYR55HsbiGJNteMePZE5HU6vzdBM dYvjKk3AGpZL4%2B0cvinvGKcoypXDpXe
Old 01-15-24, 09:32 AM
Garthr

Thanks all!

Yes probably I didn't brainer. I couldn't crack the drive side free with all my weight on my hands, so I tried stepping on it. Probably without hands the tool was not in securely.
Oh, in that case if you get the Pedro's tool it takes a 3/8" drive. Get yourself like a 18-24" 3/8" drive breaker bar from Harbor Freight or wherever and you'll find it's easier because you don't need to apply so much body english to get it properly snug. You can choke up on longer breakers if necessary too. Long levers are very useful ! Much better than open ended wrenches as the 3/8' drive is a solid engagement, it's attached. I've never needed to bolt my tool down as I hold it straight with one hand and gently apply leverage with the other. Bolting it down wouldn't hurt though, as long as there's room inside the socket for both. IDK, I never tried it !
Old 01-15-24, 09:52 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar that I found on the road, and I'm pretty sure I have a 1/2-3/4 adapter as well
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 01-15-24, 09:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Yes, Clockwise to loosen. I don't mind answering the question at all but if you need an instant answer to this question, it can easily be found all over the internet.
I know, and many of the places on the internet where that information is, are BF/Mech threads involving myself. But it's been a few years since I even took a BB out, so just wanted a sanity check
Old 01-15-24, 10:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts

Then Pedro’s is very good. I’ve been using one for more than 20 years. I also have a version of bottom bracket holder that is a more expensive version of the bolt method that was suggested above. I also have the socket handle from Pedro’s which makes use of the tool much easier than using a large adjustable wrench. Pedro’s makes are several tools that fit the handle like a cassette lockring tool and an external bottom bracket tool. They are all easier to use with the Pedro’s handle.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-15-24, 10:11 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

And while I'm asking stupid questions....

The drive side BB is the one that's reverse threaded, right? That's how I mushed it, trying to rightie-loosie on the drive side with my foot. (If I was going the wrong direction that would explain why it wouldn't come out)
The way I tell my students to remember how to remove the bottom bracket is to put the handle of the tool in the 9 o’clock position and push down on both sides of the bottom bracket. It seems easier for them to grasp than lefty tighty.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-15-24, 01:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
..........That's an M8 x 1 mm thread (the "fine M8 thread") - some hardware stores (in my city at least) have that.
I bought a long one just for that purpose.

My bicycle bolt size & pitch list

Relja
The 8x1mm is LESS COMMON than the more common 8mmx1.25 found in the US. (can't speak for the rest of the world)
I went to an Auto Parts Store and picked up a couple different lengths to go with an EXISTING crank bolt + a pack of generic 3/8" flat washers.
It's a really MINIMAL investment!
I also have the TL-UN74-S, so I can handle any spindle length I'd ever expect to see.

Edit: Mine is actually a TL-UN72.
I now (faintly) remember a conversation a few years ago with either Andrew Stewart or John Thompson re: the difference between the two, and I think one had a slightly bigger "hole".

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 01-15-24 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-15-24, 02:07 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
The 8x1mm is LESS COMMON than the more common 8mmx1.25 found in the US. (can't speak for the rest of the world)
I went to an Auto Parts Store and picked up a couple different lengths to go with an EXISTING crank bolt + a pack of generic 3/8" flat washers.
It's a really MINIMAL investment!
I also have the TL-UN74-S, so I can handle any spindle length I'd ever expect to see.
Yup - the 8x1.25 mm is the common ("normal") 8 mm bolt size here too.
For the 8x1 mm you must ask/look for a "fine thread 8 mm" bolt.
But it's not too exotic and most decent hardware and bolt & nut stores have it.

The Shimano tool has a nice big hole and a relatively big 32 mm interface so it has handled anything I've thrown at it over the years.
It's a good tool that I really like.

Relja
Old 01-15-24, 02:25 PM
Garthr

I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar that I found on the road, and I'm pretty sure I have a 1/2-3/4 adapter as well
Excellent, the best kind of roadside finds !
Old 01-15-24, 02:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The way I tell my students to remember how to remove the bottom bracket is to put the handle of the tool in the 9 o’clock position and push down on both sides of the bottom bracket. It seems easier for them to grasp than lefty tighty.
Am I doing my math wrong? For the drive side, the handle would have to be at 3:00 to push down and remove righty-loosie, no? And 9:00 push down for leftie-tighty
Old 01-15-24, 02:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Then Pedro’s is very good. I’ve been using one for more than 20 years. I also have a version of bottom bracket holder that is a more expensive version of the bolt method that was suggested above. I also have the socket handle from Pedro’s which makes use of the tool much easier than using a large adjustable wrench. Pedro’s makes are several tools that fit the handle like a cassette lockring tool and an external bottom bracket tool. They are all easier to use with the Pedro’s handle.
thx Pedro's is ordered
Old 01-15-24, 03:09 PM
cyccommute 

Am I doing my math wrong? For the drive side, the handle would have to be at 3:00 to push down and remove righty-loosie, no? And 9:00 push down for leftie-tighty
D’oh! I don’t depend on clock faces for just this reason. What I really tell them is to put the wrench on each side towards the front of the bike and to push down. Works for both sides.

I’ve tried explaining the right and left hand screw rule, “left is right and right is wrong”, clock faces, etc and the above method seems easiest to grasp.

Pedals are equally difficult to explain how to remove, especially in light of the fact that it’s the opposite of the bottom bracket…i.e. “right is right and left is wrong”. Again, I find it easier to face the pedal toward the front of the bike and to push down on the pedal wrench that is pointing towards you. No clocks, no “righty/tighty except when it is lefty/tighty”. It’s easy to grasp.

Likes For cyccommute: