Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking of clipping in.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thinking of clipping in.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 07:35 AM
Connman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thinking of clipping in.

I've been riding for 3 years and never have had clips on the pedals. I want to improve my time on rides. How much on average would " being clipped in " improve the ride and the time?
Old 06-28-23, 07:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
37.843%

It highly depends on what you are doing now. If you have good technique on flat pedals, for example, it probably will make very little difference.

For me, it is mainly about enforcing foot position and security when standing up and climbing.

It is unlikely to magically make you more efficient, unless you have poor technique to begin with.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-28-23, 07:42 AM
Connman

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I ride a gravel bike on the highways an understood that clipping in would allow to not only push down but to pull up while pedaling.
Old 06-28-23, 07:45 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I resisted clipless pedals for a long time. From the moment I first tried them I wished I'd done it sooner. I still use flat pedals on my single-speed, all-purpose bike, but for distanced road cycling the clipless pedals are more comfortable and stable than flat pedals (including with toe clips) could ever be. Does this translate into better times over distance? Probably, but I don't really track that too seriously.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 06-28-23 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 06-28-23, 08:06 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Admittedly, I’ve strapped or clipped in for decades, but I no longer feel safe on a bike unless I’m clipped.
Even my fixed has clips!
Any increase in efficiency is a bonus.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-28-23, 08:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I'd wager you won't see any measurable time improvement

plenty of other good reasons to give it a try, tho
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-28-23, 08:18 AM
Connman

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Ok, then I believe I'll get some new shoes and clips on my pedals and give it a whirl.
Likes For Connman:
Old 06-28-23, 08:23 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'd wager you won't see any measurable time improvement

plenty of other good reasons to give it a try, tho
I agree with this post. Also, the pulling up on clipless pedals, imo, is greatly exaggerated. Again, IMO, a smooth, circular stroke, where on does not feel like they are pushing, or pulling on the pedals, is most efficient with less stress on the knees. I prefer spd type shoes/cleats, as I get off the bike, including steps, more often than I used to.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-28-23, 08:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I don't think most people pull up with more force than what's necessary to lift their leg on the upstroke. I'll argue that's still beneficial, because if my leg weighs 50 pounds, I instantly get 50 extra pounds turning the cranks compared to letting that leg just sit there.

So how does clipping in come into the picture? You don't have to worry about a little extra force to pull up lifting that foot off the pedal, or a bump or pothole knocking that foot off. Now you can focus on a smooth spin without worrying about crotch meeting top tube.
Old 06-28-23, 09:16 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Connman
… understood that clipping in would allow to not only push down but to pull up while pedaling.
Based on what I’ve read about clipped in pedaling, and what I try to do, is that you should concentrate on making full circles rather than ‘up and down’ pedaling. That is…concentrating on applying pressure to the pedal/crank for its full rotation. Some say that it can’t or doesn’t really happen. But that’s just what I’ve read. Also, there is a learning curve, or a period of getting used to clipping in, being clipped in, and clipping out. I.e…rolling along slowly as you take off, and then positioning your foot/shoe correctly in order to clip in. If you don’t have enough momentum, and you can’t get clipped…you fall. If you forget to UNclip when stopping…you fall. (And I’ve see people admit that in these forums).

Something else…depending on your cleat placement…if your toe hits the front wheel when turning while you’re clipped in…you may fall. I’ve recently gone to mid-foot cleat position (using an adapter). I’ve nearly gone down a couple of times. I have to keep telling myself to keep my pedals vertical when I’m turning.

Dan
Old 06-28-23, 09:53 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Clipless pedals and shoes are a gimmick, there is zero scientific testing that shows they increase anyone's power. If you have developed and worked for good form with flat pedals, then all switching to clipless will do is make you lazy and make the muscles and coordination you developed to keep your feet on flat pedals deteriorate,

The science shows that the muscles used to lift your legs have only a small fraction of the efficiency that the muscles have for pushing down. This means that initially when you start riding you get a little thrill with a hair more acceleration on the flat or ease up a hill, but after a few minutes you will have nothing but muscles able to nothing more than they could do with flat pedals.

People say that clipless pedals secure the foot on the pedal, but so does coordination and skill, and in a lot of falls where you have to get your foot down quickly for a save you are not going to if your foot is fastened to the pedal and you are going to end up on the ground.

Most of the population follows fashion trends and marketing and tradition, if you want to be exceptional then switch to independent and critical thinking and actual research and science.

Likes For beng1:
Old 06-28-23, 09:56 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Added beng1 to my ignore list.
Old 06-28-23, 10:15 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
I ride a gravel bike on the highways an understood that clipping in would allow to not only push down but to pull up while pedaling.
People don't really do this with any sort of force (except, maybe, rarely). Forceful pulling up might not be very good to do regularly biomechanically.

One of the advantages of clipless is making a higher cadence easier. One way of being able to get a high cadence is to "unweight" (lift) the non-power leg (this is a little like pulling up but there isn't much force). The unweighting is easy to do (with some practice) and it might be a tiny bit more efficient (because you aren't using the power leg to lift the other leg).

How much on average would " being clipped in " improve the ride and the time?
There aren't really ways to buy significant speed (as long as your bicycle is decent). The biggest way to increase speed is generally free: riding in the drops. Anything else is going have a much, much smaller increase in speed.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-28-23 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-28-23, 11:10 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
…there is zero scientific testing…

The science shows that the muscles used…

…switch to independent and critical thinking and actual research and science.
Which is it? Is there scientific testing, or zero scientific testing?

Dan
Old 06-28-23, 11:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
If you are interested there is little reason to not try clipless. For me, and apparently others, foot security and having one less thing to think about are the primary benefits. If I had to do a lot of stop and start I might make a different choice.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-28-23, 11:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
You don't get much from pulling up on the pedal (though I'd argue that there are situations where you actually CAN pull up, like out-of-the-saddle low cadence climbing), but you can un-weight the pedal on the side that's coming up without your foot coming of the pedal and perhaps not returning to the optimum location. I see so many people with flat pedals putting the pedal spindle under the center of the foot, rather than the ball, and thus losing a lot of leverage. And they help with "push over the top, pull through the bottom" for optimizing your pedal stroke.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-28-23, 12:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Clipless pedals and shoes are a gimmick, there is zero scientific testing that shows they increase anyone's power. If you have developed and worked for good form with flat pedals, then all switching to clipless will do is make you lazy and make the muscles and coordination you developed to keep your feet on flat pedals deteriorate,

The science shows that the muscles used to lift your legs have only a small fraction of the efficiency that the muscles have for pushing down. This means that initially when you start riding you get a little thrill with a hair more acceleration on the flat or ease up a hill, but after a few minutes you will have nothing but muscles able to nothing more than they could do with flat pedals.

People say that clipless pedals secure the foot on the pedal, but so does coordination and skill, and in a lot of falls where you have to get your foot down quickly for a save you are not going to if your foot is fastened to the pedal and you are going to end up on the ground.

Most of the population follows fashion trends and marketing and tradition, if you want to be exceptional then switch to independent and critical thinking and actual research and science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEaN9FKGLE
Classic. A review of gear from someone who has little to no actual experience with it, peppered with mild insults towards people who use that gear.
Old 06-28-23, 12:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Clipless pedals and shoes are a gimmick,
For decades nearly every racer in nearly every discipline of bicycle racing has used some form of foot retention. Are they all just wrong? Are they all just stupid followers of "fashion"?
Toe clips came out over 120 years ago. In all that time nobody has figured out that it doesn't work?

If you don't want to use foot retention that's fine, nobody cares. But some of us have used various forms of retention for many years and not necessarily because it's "faster" or "more efficient".
Likes For big john:
Old 06-28-23, 12:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

If you pull up hard enough, you will come unclipped. If you use the easy-out Shimano 2-bolt clips, you don't even have to pull up hard.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-28-23, 12:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts

These straps are added to the track racers clipless pedals to prevent unclipping while thrashing the pedals at the track. Of course, it's just a gimmick and all the greats use flat pedals.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-28-23, 12:58 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
37.843%

It highly depends on what you are doing now. If you have good technique on flat pedals, for example, it probably will make very little difference.

For me, it is mainly about enforcing foot position and security when standing up and climbing.
It's the same for me. My feet being securely attached to the pedals makes the ride much more comfortable, especially when riding out of the saddle.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 06-28-23 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For daihard:
Old 06-28-23, 01:06 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

SH56 will release on a modest upward pull by design. For this reason, I find them scary to ride with.

SH51 will release on a sharp upward pull before your bones snap in a crash, like ski bindings.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-28-23, 01:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
For decades nearly every racer in nearly every discipline of bicycle racing has used some form of foot retention. Are they all just wrong? Are they all just stupid followers of "fashion"?
Apparently.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I once read that there is some kind of neurochemical reward some get if they believe they've figured out something nobody else has.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-23, 01:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If you pull up hard enough, you will come unclipped. If you use the easy-out Shimano 2-bolt clips, you don't even have to pull up hard.
The exception to this rule being the first time you come up to a red light on your first ride with clipless pedals. Nothing in nature will unclip you then.

Old 06-28-23, 01:11 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
understood that clipping in would allow to not only push down but to pull up while pedaling.
No, it wouldn't. Many studies with power measuring pedals show that the only time people pull up is at very slow speeds, typically when climbing. We simply don't have the coordination to pull up when spinning any reasonable cadence. This applies to professionals and proficient amateurs alike. Pulling up is a myth. Now cure the folks who say/believe they pull up, but actually don't.
Likes For KerryIrons:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.