Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Conti Hardshell or Duraskin tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 08:11 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Posted this on the Tandem forum - but a lot more eyes here on road cycling. Looking to change the tires from 700x25 to 700 x 28
The combined weight for Tandem is at 350lbs.

I was thinking the Hardshell might be the way to go. My wheels support anything from 700 x 25 up to 38 width.

Any input on what people's experience with these tires are.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-21, 02:37 PM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have Gator Hardshells on my Sirrus X and I like them just fine. To put it in perspective, I have GP5000's on my Allez. I can't really tell any difference in how they roll. They both roll very well. I will say that at similar pressures, the GP5000's are more supple and compliant, but I do not find the Hardshells ride to be too harsh or uncomfortable. Others may feel differently.

They will be great if you're looking for a long lasting tire with excellent flat protection. But if you want a supple ride, you might be disappointed.
Old 03-09-21, 02:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
They are great commuting/training tires. Protect against flats and last many miles.
Old 03-09-21, 03:06 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I think they'd work well for your application. I don't currently run Hardshells, but I did use them for a while on my Diverge when I was using that for some lightweight touring and I really appreciated their flat protection. They don't roll as nicely as some tires but they aren't too bad in my opinion. Now they aren't very supple if that matters, but really that's the trade-off for the flat protection.
Old 03-09-21, 07:36 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I've never tried the hardshells but I swear by 700x28 Gatorskins for training/regular riding. I run them at lowish pressures (60-80psi) but I don't do touring or tandem. They last forever.

My buddy has Schwalbe Marathons and likes them as well.

Another option is to get a light tire that rides well and insert tire liners. Those things are heavy but work.

If I were you and didn't need to put fenders, I would go with at least a 28 probably the 32 width
Old 03-11-21, 01:04 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
definitely going with 28's and then possibly 32's down the line.. The 700 x 25's just feel way too narrow for a 350 lb tandem crew