Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it weird to ride just on trails?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it weird to ride just on trails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 04:46 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Your trolling is becoming tiresome.
I swear to God I'm not trolling. I'm asking serious quetions. A part of me wants to ride on the roads, but I'm scared. I'm trying to get as much information from people as possible and also their opinions.
Old 09-24-15, 05:05 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I swear to God I'm not trolling. I'm asking serious quetions. A part of me wants to ride on the roads, but I'm scared. I'm trying to get as much information from people as possible and also their opinions.
Sorry, no dice. It's not possible for a human being to be quite as stupid as you try to appear.
Old 09-24-15, 05:45 AM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then man up, grow a pair and get on the mother lovin' road. The only thing between whining on a forum and riding on the road is opportunity. And while you're riding on the road, ride it like you own it.
Old 09-24-15, 05:53 AM
DreamRider85

Sorry, no dice. It's not possible for a human being to be quite as stupid as you try to appear.

I'm offended that you think I'm a troll. You have no proof.
Old 09-24-15, 07:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm offended that you think I'm a troll. You have no proof.
How old are you?
Old 09-24-15, 08:17 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I swear to God I'm not trolling. I'm asking serious quetions....
Sometimes I feel that the people accusing others of trolling are trolling. Some people don't have any tolerance for newbies. This is the kind of thing that gives the internet the bad reputation it has for decorum. It's supposed to be the information-superhighway, but in some other discussion forums it's just a battleground of vitriol.

I joined this forum because it's very active and covers a lot of different aspects of cycling. Many times it's a very good source to share and get information as well as other people's opinions both from experienced and new cyclists. But every once in a while we get remarks that just discourages people from participating.
Old 09-24-15, 08:24 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Sometimes I feel that the people accusing others of trolling are trolling. Some people don't have any tolerance for newbies.
Please don't be silly, this has nothing to do with tolerance for newbies. The OP has started several similar fear-related threads in different forums (none in advocacy and safety, where they might be more appropriate) and has received tolerant and informative responses. He then reframes those largely reassuring replies to gradually increase the ridiculousness of his faux-innocent questions, as in this case. It's classic trolling, not newb, behaviour.
Old 09-24-15, 08:44 AM
Catinella

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2015), Trek 1500 SLR (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like bikeforums. There are lots of great, helpful folks here eager to share their knowledge and their love of bike riding with others, including newbies. I feel that in the short time I have been a member I have contributed positively to the forum. I must say however, that very soon after joining I was accused of being a possible troll. I felt hurt, I felt I had to defend my postings. I seriously considered leaving bikeforums and joining a different forum. However, the exchange that followed became positive and I felt welcomed, so I stayed.

If you believe someone is trolling, the best strategy may be to simply not add/respond to the thread and let the Moderators figure it out. (PM them if you want.) Spend your time reading and responding to threads or discussions that make you happy! If the poster is a troll, s/he will eventually give up, or be turned to the "Bike Side".

Have a Great Day!
Old 09-24-15, 09:02 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Catinella
I like bikeforums. There are lots of great, helpful folks here eager to share their knowledge and their love of bike riding with others, including newbies. I feel that in the short time I have been a member I have contributed positively to the forum. I must say however, that very soon after joining I was accused of being a possible troll. I felt hurt, I felt I had to defend my postings. I seriously considered leaving bikeforums and joining a different forum. However, the exchange that followed became positive and I felt welcomed, so I stayed.

If you believe someone is trolling, the best strategy may be to simply not add/respond to the thread and let the Moderators figure it out. (PM them if you want.) Spend your time reading and responding to threads or discussions that make you happy! If the poster is a troll, s/he will eventually give up, or be turned to the "Bike Side".

Have a Great Day!
I agree. If indeed a troll, you are simply "feeding" him when responding negatively.
Old 09-24-15, 09:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Some troll threads can be quite entertaining. The OP's "I crashed into a little girl" thread certainly was. Lighten up and have some fun. Not every thread/post has to be serious business.

I agree, if you don't like a thread, don't post on it. (or stop posting)
Old 09-24-15, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Please don't be silly, this has nothing to do with tolerance for newbies. The OP has started several similar fear-related threads in different forums (none in advocacy and safety, where they might be more appropriate) and has received tolerant and informative responses. He then reframes those largely reassuring replies to gradually increase the ridiculousness of his faux-innocent questions, as in this case. It's classic trolling, not newb, behaviour.
+100
Old 09-24-15, 01:30 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Some troll threads can be quite entertaining. The OP's "I crashed into a little girl" thread certainly was. Lighten up and have some fun. Not every thread/post has to be serious business.

I agree, if you don't like a thread, don't post on it. (or stop posting)
Crashing into the little girl was real life though. I didn't make it up, trolling or not. That's so far the only time I've crashed into someone. And I feel very lucky that she wasn't hurt. I thought that it could have been serious for her. But I was the one that fell down the hill and she was scared but as soon as I asked her if she was okay she nodded.
Old 09-24-15, 01:31 PM
DreamRider85

Correlation does not equal causation. I just have a certain style of posting. And I get anxious at times and want urgent and specific answers.
Old 09-24-15, 05:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Crashing into the little girl was real life though. I didn't make it up, trolling or not. That's so far the only time I've crashed into someone. And I feel very lucky that she wasn't hurt. I thought that it could have been serious for her. But I was the one that fell down the hill and she was scared but as soon as I asked her if she was okay she nodded.
How old are you?

Are you a teenager?

Have you just recently learned to ride a bicycle?
Old 09-24-15, 05:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Wait. So the 100% of the OP's crashes have been on a MUP and he's convinced that they're safer than roads?
Old 09-24-15, 05:44 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I guess I'm not a real cyclist either. I have parts of my commute that have a 45 mph speed limit, and I use the sidewalk. No one walks on them. If I could, I would prefer to be on a path in the woods somewhere. I do what keeps everyone safe. And the more I'm on the bike, the happier I am.
Old 09-24-15, 06:37 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Well, you can't live your life in fear, but you also have to balance that line of paranoia and just good common sense. Sounds like you are leaning on the common sense side to me.

I love trails and greenways. The surroundings, scenery, simplicity, and yes... the safety aspect which is less stressful. Who says you have to ride on the roads and streets to be a "full cyclist?" The fact that you are RIDING makes you a cyclist, in my book. That's the main thing. Honestly, I only ride on the streets when I need or have to. I'd much rather be on a greenway, and have no problem whatsoever saying it.

Ride where your heart and mind combined ...lead you.
Big +1 and ditto from me!
Best regards
Old 09-24-15, 09:06 PM
DreamRider85

I did about 5 miles on the road today, but on my mountain bike. Reason being is because I thought I was gonna do some dirt trails, but never found where I was trying to go. It was over by Steven Creeks Trail in Mountain View. What happened is I never found the trail. I was by Friends of Stevens Creek Trail, but never saw the trail. I was told to keep going, so I ended up using the bike lanes in search of the trail.

So I have been getting a little bit of experience, little by little, on the road. It wasn't too scary, But based on this experience I wouldn't say that cycling in ''traffic'' adds any joyfulness to my experience. It's not like I prefer to ride next to a lot of cars if I don't have to. What I noticed was I was constantly reaching RED LIGHTS a lot and it required some patience.

It felt good that there were other cyclists around too. I got to kind of study what they were doing. But again, I wouldn't say that it felt good or better just to be around cars. It actually felt like I was driving, except on a bike. When I'm at a trail, I don't have to worry about stopping at red lights or stop signs.

So I guess, I'll still give cycling on the road into consideration. But I don't want to do it just to do it. The reward has to be worth it. The scenery has to be worth it. In other words, I don't see much beauty in just cycling the same streets that I drive. Because it really doesn't feel much different than driving. I mean you basically are following the same rules. I'm on the roads, except I'm using a much slower vehicle. If there were paths next to every road, I'd take the path each time.

Now that isn't to say that I don't fear mountain biking too. I just got started in mountain biking and already crashed into a bush. The cracks going downhill scare the crap outta me, so I'm taking mountain biking slow too. Now I swear I'm not trolling when I say this, but I was recently looking at a mount biker chick who got attacked by a lion, and that did put a lot of fear in me.

Last edited by DreamRider85; 09-24-15 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 09:12 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by caloso
Wait. So the 100% of the OP's crashes have been on a MUP and he's convinced that they're safer than roads?
I have very little experience on the roads. I did a little yesterday and some today in Mountain View. Most of my experience is on the Bay Trail, by the San Mateo Bridge. And I just got the EMonda Road bike a month ago. Before that, I was just using my Mountain bike on the paved trails.

Last edited by DreamRider85; 09-24-15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 09:21 PM
bobbyl1966

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me too i ride only in trails.
Old 09-24-15, 09:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have very little experience on the roads. I did a little yesterday and some today in Mountain View. Most of my experience is on the Bay Trail, by the San Mateo Bridge. And I just got the EMonda Road bike a month ago. Before that, I was just using my Mountain bike on the paved trails.
I hope you ride with lots of lights and bright colored clothes to warn others.
Old 09-24-15, 10:53 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by bobbyl1966
me too i ride only in trails.

How many miles are your trails? And how many trails are in your area? Just curious. Sometimes I wonder if we're limiting ourselves.
Old 09-25-15, 06:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The simple answer to this question is that everyone should ride their bikes where ever they have the most enjoyment, and feel safe riding there.

No one should feel they have to ride their bikes where others think or dictate they should ride.
Old 09-25-15, 09:30 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did about 5 miles on the road today, but on my mountain bike.

It felt good that there were other cyclists around too. I got to kind of study what they were doing
Join a group ride - you'll learn even more that way. I found a couple of cycling groups in my area on meetup.com.

You could also look for a "confident city cycling" class in your area. I'm sure Google will turn something up.
Old 09-25-15, 10:25 AM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I too paranoid?
Yes. Don't give up the other part of cycling just because of a paranoia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.