Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm finally convinced Carbon Fiber bikes are safe.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm finally convinced Carbon Fiber bikes are safe.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 08:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Lazyass is right. You do need to work on your reading comprehension. He clearly was talking about kids riding on sport bikes here:
And he's clearly comparing Gilbert's "horrible cornering technique" to those kids... which is *exactly* what Merlin said in the quote that you selected - that he was comparing a WC, multiple blah blah to a some squid kids that don't know how to ride.

Maybe pointing the comprehension finger isn't the best idea.
Old 07-25-18, 08:59 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
And he's clearly comparing Gilbert's "horrible cornering technique" to those kids... which is *exactly* what Merlin said in the quote that you selected - that he was comparing a WC, multiple blah blah to a some squid kids that don't know how to ride.
No. I think you are reading more into it that was actually said. There is a difference between saying Gilbert used horrible technique in this case which is the cause of many kids sport bike accidents. Which is clear to me what he said. And saying Gilbert has horrible cornering technique like that of a kid on a sportbike, which you seem to think he said.
Old 07-25-18, 09:21 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
No. I think you are reading more into it that was actually said. There is a difference between saying Gilbert used horrible technique in this case which is the cause of many kids sport bike accidents. Which is clear to me what he said. And saying Gilbert has horrible cornering technique like that of a kid on a sportbike, which you seem to think he said.
So you don't know what "comparison" means? Got it. Moving on.
Old 07-25-18, 09:32 PM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

Just because he rode away doesn't mean his bike isn't a ticking time bomb.
Exactly.

Carbon bikes are safe...

If there aren't any defects inside the frame.

If you don't buy used from some stranger.

If you use a properly calibrated torque wrench and don't overtighten anything.

If you don't get any corrosion inside the frame.

If the bike isn't crashed or otherwise impacted, causing damage that can eventually lead to a systemic failure at any moment.

Carbon bikes are safe. If you baby them and you have favorable odds.

Carbon bikes are not worth the money, especially when in a lot of cases you can get an alloy bike that weighs the same and has better components. But if buying a carbon bike makes you happy, go for it. I can't really argue against your own subjective values.
Old 07-25-18, 09:43 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by toast3d
Exactly.

Carbon bikes are safe...

If there aren't any defects inside the frame.

If you don't buy used from some stranger.

If you use a properly calibrated torque wrench and don't overtighten anything.

If you don't get any corrosion inside the frame.

If the bike isn't crashed or otherwise impacted, causing damage that can eventually lead to a systemic failure at any moment.

Carbon bikes are safe. If you baby them and you have favorable odds.

Carbon bikes are not worth the money, especially when in a lot of cases you can get an alloy bike that weighs the same and has better components. But if buying a carbon bike makes you happy, go for it. I can't really argue against your own subjective values.
Yea, I guess the literally MILLIONS of carbon frames on the road right now that haven't failed isn't enough proof of their reliability.

Good Lord.

Old 07-25-18, 09:49 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So you don't know what "comparison" means? Got it. Moving on.
If you didn’t understand the difference in the two sentences I pointed out above, it’s a good idea for you to move on.
Old 07-25-18, 09:51 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Horrible cornering technique. It's the most common cause of sportbike accidents from these kids who don't know how to ride. He was looking at where he was going, toward the outside of the curve, not looking through the curve where he wanted to go. Also known as target fixation. Your bike goes where your eyes go.
!00% correct. Applies to MX and dirt bikes as well. You can't look at the rock you need to miss. You need to look where you want to go . My daughter says it applies to horse
riding as well. Maybe even more than a machine.
Old 07-25-18, 09:53 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not to go all r/conspiracy or anything, but WE ALL KNOW CRABON BIKES ASPLODE.

Clearly when he hit the wall his bike did indeed asplode killing him and all other people for 100 yards in every direction. It was hidden by a holographic projection, and while that was in place a cloned double was substituted. (All the crabon fiber bike riders on the tour have been cloned just for this purpose.) The clone finished the race but was clearly pulling some crisis actor Bull**** with the hurt knee act.

Don't be fooled. This is the deep state bike manufacturers cabal keeping you from knowing the truth!
Old 07-25-18, 09:57 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Not to go all r/conspiracy or anything, but WE ALL KNOW CRABON BIKES ASPLODE.

Clearly when he hit the wall his bike did indeed asplode killing him and all other people for 100 yards in every direction. It was hidden by a holographic projection, and while that was in place a cloned double was substituted. (All the crabon fiber bike riders on the tour have been cloned just for this purpose.) The clone finished the race but was clearly pulling some crisis actor Bull**** with the hurt knee act.

Don't be fooled. This is the deep state bike manufacturers cabal keeping you from knowing the truth!
That sounds reasonable to me.
Old 07-25-18, 11:01 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
After seeing Philippe Gilbert, crashing his bike (Stage 16) into that stone wall, and riding away , I'm going shopping for a CF bike. KB
Thank God that's settled. Let us know your findings as you continue to push the outer edge of the road bicycle technology envelope.

Thank god for fearless pioneers such as yourself.

After that, let us know what you think of these 'smart phone' (as-if) gizmos.
Old 07-26-18, 04:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
And he's clearly comparing Gilbert's "horrible cornering technique" to those kids...
On his crash, correct. I didn't say he didn't know how to ride, I said he made a mistake. You and that dude who got triggered totally misconstrued what I said. If you would have thought deeper you would have understood.

It looks to me like when Gilbert took the right hander he didn't expect the left to come up so quickly and at that speed he panicked and had a classic case of target fixation. His head was facing the outside of the curve the whole time, he was not looking through the turn, and he took a straight line right off the bridge. Target fixation, case closed. I suspect he has not ridden that route very often if ever. That's the first time it was in the TDF. I bet a million dollars many motorcycles have gone off at the exact same spot. It's a dangerous turn.
Old 07-26-18, 05:19 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
and Yates too. But not as violent.
Back next year with carbon knee caps. In 2020 everyone will be using them.
Old 07-26-18, 05:20 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
This is a good thread.
Old 07-26-18, 05:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
It's like the Special Olympics up in here.

Old 07-26-18, 05:25 AM
ksryder

That's the first time it was in the TDF.
That descent has been in lots of Tours, rather famously: "Gilbert suffered a heavy fall on the descent of the Col de Portet-d'Aspet, where Fabio Casartelli crashed and died during the 1995 Tour." (BBC)
Old 07-26-18, 05:43 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Old 07-26-18, 06:30 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
What's this thread about?
Old 07-26-18, 06:41 AM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This obviously has been settled for a long time but I love this video from santa cruz showing that through fatigue and impact tests carbon is way stronger. My favorite part is at the end (5:00) when they are swinging a carbon frame like a baseball bat into a concrete post and it remains undamaged

Old 07-26-18, 06:55 AM
WhyFi

His head was facing the outside of the curve the whole time, he was not looking through the turn, and he took a straight line right off the bridge. Target fixation, case closed.
Uh no. Look at his rear wheel. You keep ignoring that he was braking hard and his rear wheel was unweighted from the moment his heel clicked out. How do you propose that he made a rookie mistake and steered where he was looking when he, um, couldn't steer because he had no rear wheel?
Old 07-26-18, 06:57 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Thank God that's settled. Let us know your findings as you continue to push the outer edge of the road bicycle technology envelope.

Thank god for fearless pioneers such as yourself.

After that, let us know what you think of these 'smart phone' (as-if) gizmos.
Yep, at 72, I'm pushing the outer edge of bike tech. And 2 yrs. ago, my kids traded my "flip" phone in for a smart phone. Now my wife can track my on "live track" and and I can flood instagram with selfies of my rides.

And, I was looking for an excuse to get a CF bike, as I got my first aluminum last year, after riding steel for 50+ years.

Oh, I did find a Raleigh Carbon Clubman, slightly used floor and test model . The fenders come off first. then got to do something about those classic looking tires. The price was right, although I'm not too crazy about the sky blue color. I think it looks a little "girly" but for the price , I couldn't turn it down. KB
Old 07-26-18, 07:00 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think Carbon Fiber bikes are safe. Discussing Carbon Fiber bikes involved in crashes on twisting, downhill TDF descents on the other hand, appears to be potential dangerous. The bike didn't @SSPlode, but this thread could.
Old 07-26-18, 07:07 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Uh no. Look at his rear wheel. You keep ignoring that he was braking hard and his rear wheel was unweighted from the moment his heel clicked out. How do you propose that he made a rookie mistake and steered where he was looking when he, um, couldn't steer because he had no rear wheel?
I did look at his rear wheel lol. He wasn't expecting the left hand so quick, he panicked, grabbed the brakes and went straight to the wall. Target fixation is a result of panicking. If he had stayed calm he might have been able to trail brake a little and make it. Or maybe not, in which case he would have low sided the bike while going around the corner. Listen man, you are never going to change my opinion, I don't care what your opinion is so quit filling up my box with quote notifications. This is old.
Old 07-26-18, 07:39 AM
ksryder

If only there were rainbow stripes for being right on BF.
Old 07-26-18, 07:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
If only there were rainbow stripes for being right on BF.
Depends on which type you are referring to. I'll PM you.
Old 07-26-18, 07:57 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
It's the most common cause of sportbike accidents from these kids who don't know how to ride..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.