Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Allergic to my socks/bike shorts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Allergic to my socks/bike shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 10:08 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Agreed. Lots of other non-polar solvents that will wash away the plant oils without the high volatility and toxicity of gasoline.
When it comes to poison ivy, one word: Tecnu.

Back in the '90s I was doing lawn work for the summer on Martha's Vineyard, which as insane amounts of poison ivy, and of a VERY powerful strain. I had a couple of really bad bouts of PI, then I discovered tecnu. (Basically turpintine and high-fat soap.)

I was literally mowing fields of poison ivy, and getting covered in the juice, but I would come home, strip off, and wash myself from head to toe with Tecnu. Never had another case of poison ivy. I HIGHLY recommend the stuff
Old 08-18-18, 10:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
I was literally mowing fields of poison ivy, and getting covered in the juice, but I would come home, strip off, and wash myself from head to toe with Tecnu. Never had another case of poison ivy. I HIGHLY recommend the stuff
It probably helped some, but many people also become immune over time. So, your super-wash may be completely unnecessary too.

Still, a good washing never hurts.
Old 08-18-18, 10:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Just some information in general regarding washing of fitness clothing. I use a dedicated liquid detergent for washing all of my fitness clothing. It's gentle, works at low temperatures and also has an anti-bacterial agent that works on low temperature washes.

Bacteria survive below 60 degree Celsius (= 140 degrees Fahrenheit) washes and fitness clothing requires much lower temperatures. Hence, a dedicated gentle detergent with anti-bacterial properties may help.
Simply getting stuff completely dry (after washing) will also help a lot.

Remember not all bacteria are pathogenic, especially your own flora.
Old 08-19-18, 03:31 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Would you share the name of this detergent, please? I've been looking for something like this.
I order this one online and I'm in the UK. You should be able to find something similar if you're not based in the UK. I've been using this on all of my gym kit for many years and the clothing feels good and smells fresher for longer.

Wiggle sells it, as do some supermarkets here in the UK. Here's the Wiggle link and you can see that it has very favourable reviews:

Wiggle | Halo Proactive Sports Wash Laundry Detergent - (1 Litre) | Fabric Cleaner
Old 08-19-18, 03:33 AM
taz777

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Simply getting stuff completely dry (after washing) will also help a lot.

Remember not all bacteria are pathogenic, especially your own flora.
Indeed. Storing fitness clothing whilst it's damp, even slightly damp, is not going to end well.
Old 08-19-18, 06:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by villandra
Poison ivy would occur on exposed parts of the body, not selectively on places that are covered with clothing.
He explained that. If I am him, I am going with the diagnosis of a doctor who actually saw it. If, as he suspects, his clothes touched poison ivy before he put them back on, he could definitely get this rash.
Old 08-20-18, 10:11 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It probably helped some, but many people also become immune over time. So, your super-wash may be completely unnecessary too.

Still, a good washing never hurts.
Actually, it's the opposite : people who are initially immune to poison ivy develop the reaction with repeated exposure. That's what happened to me, as a matter of fact. And I am still highly reactive to poison ivy.

Tecnu is really turpintine and soap. The turps breaks the bonds of the oil to your skin, and the heavy-duty soap washes it away. The oil isn't water soluble, and even rubbing alcohol won't touch it. Probably one can mix it up oneself. Heck, we make our own chain lube and tubeless tire sealant, right?
Old 08-20-18, 10:13 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
I order this one online and I'm in the UK. You should be able to find something similar if you're not based in the UK. I've been using this on all of my gym kit for many years and the clothing feels good and smells fresher for longer.

Wiggle sells it, as do some supermarkets here in the UK. Here's the Wiggle link and you can see that it has very favourable reviews:

Wiggle | Halo Proactive Sports Wash Laundry Detergent - (1 Litre) | Fabric Cleaner
Thanks for that! I've seen a few washes around on Amazon and tried a couple, but this stuff look exactly like what I'm looking for!

EDIT: the wiggle link says they no longer carry it. Boo!

Last edited by Wheever; 08-20-18 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 01:15 AM
taz777

Thanks for that! I've seen a few washes around on Amazon and tried a couple, but this stuff look exactly like what I'm looking for!

EDIT: the wiggle link says they no longer carry it. Boo!
The Wiggle link works for me. It could that they don’t ship this product overseas, assuming you’re not based in the U.K.

You should be able to source it from your regional Amazon site and larger local supermarkets.
Old 08-21-18, 05:35 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Funny, my HRM strap has suddenly begun leaving me with a rash...may have to change my cleanup procedure.
Old 08-21-18, 10:17 AM
taz777

Originally Posted by Stormsedge
Funny, my HRM strap has suddenly begun leaving me with a rash...may have to change my cleanup procedure.
I wipe down all of my HRM chest straps with an anti-bacterial wipe and leave them to dry in open air immediately after any exercise. The HRM straps are only washed after every 5-6 uses (gym, running or cycling).

I've also noticed that on my HRM straps (one from Polar and the other from Garmin), there is a little fabric flap that is supposed to go between your skin and the hard plastic buckle.

Many people don't fold that flap correctly so their skin is irritated by the buckle.

Of course, your issue may be completely unrelated.

In terms of washing, I use a lingerie wash bag and place the HRM straps into it and then use the detergent mentioned above in the washing machine.
Old 08-21-18, 11:38 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've been lucky in my life that I'm not very susceptible to poison ivy. Good friend of mine used to always get it when we were kids. I think he could look at it and break out. I never once got it as a kid, I think I only first got it as a young adult. And even then it didn't itch very much, just a few small blisters which went away after a few days. I think I've only had poison ivy two or three times in my life, and it never bothered me that much. I am very familiar with it and know very well what it looks like, though, so any time I'm out in the woods I keep an eye out for it. One of my neighbors, though, has it growing up one of her trees. Even after I pointed it out to her it's still there. I might go over with my limb loppers and cut the stem so it dies.