Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Koga-Miyata trailer attachments

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 11:19 AM
sleepycactus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My neighbor bought a Koga-Miyata “chela” trailer from a junkyard for $5. We are trying to figure out how it attaches to the bike. It has the swiveling U shaped frame part with its twisting quick release collars, but the parts that attach to the dropout areas at the rear wheel of the bike are missing. I have no idea what they even look like. Anyone have pictures or ideas? I would weld something together out of steel if needed, but getting an idea of the original design would help.
Old 05-07-19, 11:52 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepycactus
My neighbor bought a Koga-Miyata “chela” trailer from a junkyard for $5. We are trying to figure out how it attaches to the bike. It has the swiveling U shaped frame part with its twisting quick release collars, but the parts that attach to the dropout areas at the rear wheel of the bike are missing. I have no idea what they even look like. Anyone have pictures or ideas? I would weld something together out of steel if needed, but getting an idea of the original design would help.
Presumably it attaches in a manner similar to BoB Yak. Perhaps you can use a modified Yak skewer? Or make completely from scratch using a Shimano tandem replacement axle and material from the LHS (hardware)?

Since this is a rare 14-year-old trailer, it is probably best you pose your question to the experts at Koga-Miyata:

https://www.koga-america.com/order--contact.html

https://www.koga.com/en/about-koga/contact

I wonder if the waterproof coating on these bags has gone bad.
Old 05-08-19, 07:41 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Koga might be your best bet. There were originally some issues with the provided axle so Koga offered a kit to rebuild it with an improved version.

Old 05-10-19, 03:32 PM
sleepycactus

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=JaccoW;20919682]Koga might be your best bet. There were originally some issues with the provided axle so Koga offered a kit to rebuild it with an improved version.
QUOTE]

Thank you both very much for the help! I have not heard back from Koga yet, but knowing how the quick release skewer attachment looks gives me enough information to braze something together if I can’t get the part.
Old 05-11-19, 12:40 PM
seeker333
-

Thank you both very much for the help! I have not heard back from Koga yet, but knowing how the quick release skewer attachment looks gives me enough information to braze something together if I can’t get the part.
This is close to what you want:

https://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/bob-quick-release

Last edited by seeker333; 05-11-19 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-11-19, 12:42 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333

This is close to what you want:

BOB QUICK RELEASE | BOBgear
I think you missed a /quote there.
Old 05-11-19, 01:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
[QUOTE=sleepycactus;20923801]
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Koga might be your best bet. There were originally some issues with the provided axle so Koga offered a kit to rebuild it with an improved version.
QUOTE]

Company website has links for addresses of a lot of their Dealers..
might get a reply at retail level, If not getting a response from the manufacturer ..

Old 05-11-19, 02:20 PM
seeker333
-

@jacco ty
Old 05-28-19, 03:34 PM
sleepycactus

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=fietsbob;20924948]

Company website has links for addresses of a lot of their Dealers..
might get a reply at retail level, If not getting a response from the manufacturer ..

I did get a reply from somebody who was apparently on vacation. He said he would look for one at the shop when he got back in mid june. Very nice of him.
But I decided to try making one anyways. I brazed some cro-moly tube on the ends of an old skewer I had.

I had another problem with the trailer pivot (where it is behind the rear wheel). The headset-like arrangement was loose. When I tried to turn it (all aluminum parts) I found it had seized. I could turn it with lube but it was shearing the threads off. I just packed as much grease in there as i could and snugged it down and adjusted it best I could. Who knows how long it will last. The pivot appears to be plastic bushings only; no bearings. A real design flaw in a trailer that has a lot of good things going for it.

I like how the trailer double kickstand holds up the trailer, and the bike too.